JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The last couple of batches of brass came out tarnished (for lack of a better word) and I had to run them through my vibratory tumbler to remove it. So, I have been using distilled water with a few drops of Dawn dish detergent and Lemishine to clean things, using stainless steel media in a Lyman Cyclone tumbler. What gives, anyone?

I had the same problem when i ran really dirty range brass...I use lemishine , and a small amount of dawn with the pins.
I had to run them a second time with clean water/ lemishine and dawn for about an hour for them to shine.
I changed water and add some liquid car wash/ wax and run them for about 15 minutes and they shine like new !
I found if i remove the primers they seem to shine up the first run after an hour...

How long are you tumbling them?
Each batch is tumbled about an hour and a half. The other thing I did not mention is that I use a garden hose to rinse the brass since my shop is not plumbed. I have not been measuring either products although it's a few drops of each. I will try using less of the lemishine.

Thank you for your responses!

When brass comes out of tumbler:
Is it black? If so, cut back on shine and add a tad more soap.
Water on clean brass with leave spots. I use a car soap with wax. Cold water rinses and water beads up with each coating.

Always deprime first. The chemicals in even the used primers will stain the brass. Dawn is the cleaner. The amount depends on the size of the drum you're using. I use the Harbor Fright tumbler so I use one tea spoon full. The Lemishine is the release agent. It keeps the wet from adhering to the brass and keeps the water spotting away. Any product used in a dishwasher will work. I use Finish. (It's the wife's :)) Again one teaspoon full. If you have a food dehydrator, put the cleaned brass in there to dry for 45 minutes or so. Ready to reload!

This is Dawn, lemon juice and about three hours on some 70+ year old 30-30 brass.
This is my typical result with any brass - new or old.
The cool part is the 'old' brass patinas to a deep, yellow orange color after a couple weeks
- and nothing further.
IMG_1297.JPG

Last Edited:
I actually have had a problem with the Dawn/LemiShine combo getting the brass TOO clean. I was having problems with the brass sticking in the Dillon. I thought that maybe some brass particulate had stuck in the die. Called Dillon and the guy asked how I was cleaning my brass. I told him, and he said that was the problem. I started using a little carwax/wash in the rinse and ta-da problem solved.:rolleyes:

I actually have had a problem with the Dawn/LemiShine combo getting the brass TOO clean. I was having problems with the brass sticking in the Dillon. I thought that maybe some brass particulate had stuck in the die. Called Dillon and the guy asked how I was cleaning my brass. I told him, and he said that was the problem. I started using a little carwax/wash in the rinse and ta-da problem solved.:rolleyes:
What are you using to lube the brass prior to sizing?

What are you using to lube the brass prior to sizing?

There is a residual wax on the brass from the car wash.

This of course is no substitute for properly lubing for sizing. When I run pistol brass, there is a smoother stroke when flaring and crimping/tapering in the dies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top