JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a 4 kw generator to run my well. I have the well set up so that it plugs into a 50 amp outlet coming out of the panel. When the power goes out I can unplug the well and plug it into the 50 amp extension cord I have for the welder which then plugs into the generator.

A Honda eu3000 wouldn't work for my well, as it requires 220v and the eu3000 is only 120v.

My back up generator is a 4000W. (I just ordered the tri-fuel conversion kit for it.) This plugs into a manual transferswitch:

IMGP0202.JPG

It is enough to run the freezer, fridge, stove fan, well pump and a few other small items. I just ordered the tri-fuel conversion kit for it.

I use either my Craftsman 6500 or my propane 3500 but my well is only a 10 GPM so your results may vary depending on the draw of power your well uses.

The well's a 220 volt and the 3500 can run it but not much else, the 6500 can run it along with most everything else but I can't run two big ticket items like the well and hot water heater at the same time, this will knock down the 6500 so I alternate between those two items when the power is out.

My back up generator is a 4000W. (I just ordered the tri-fuel conversion kit for it.) This plugs into a manual transferswitch:

IMGP0202.JPG

It is enough to run the freezer, fridge, stove fan, well pump and a few other small items. I just ordered the tri-fuel conversion kit for it.

You run all of that on a 4000 watt gas generator?

You run all of that on a 4000 watt gas generator?
Yes, and have during several outages.
Those guages allow me to monitor the usage and see the demands. I have yet to come even close to capacity.
I have a gas stove, range, oven and water heater, so we can live pretty comfortably with low electrical power needs.
The well is the largest load on the generator. I have yet to see us much beyond half capacity.
Here is a handy chart that gives some consumption figures: <broken link removed>

I added everything up while planning for a grid tied solar system and found our needs right at 4000W. That made it easy to size the generator. We don't need the whole hose, AC or furnace run by the generator.

How much would it cost to have an electrician set up a unit like that?
I do not know.
My panel came with a video and instructions for installation by the homeowner. It really is no more difficult than replacing circuit breakers. I was able to hide the conduit and mount mine close to the main breaker box. I did have to trim the huge cover plate corner a little.
It does meet electrical code and may have to be installed by a licensed electrician depending upon your regulations.

Another option to consider:
<broken link removed>

No way to monitor usage, but it is an inexpensive way to get connected safely.

To know what size generator you need you have to know how much power what you are trying to run uses. The only way I know to do that is read the label on the pump itself.....

The way to really know what the pump is using is to have an electrician check it while running with a clamp on ammeter. Or for $60 you can buy one and do it yourself.

Craftsman Digital Clamp-On Ammeter - Tools - Electricians Tools - Multi-Meters & Meters

I have a Fluke ammeter and would check a pump for someone if it wasn't too far away. Only cost you beer.

How can I find and electrician that knows how to wire up a quick connect for a generator? Not some simple fix. Something done right, but not a mint in expense.

Where are you located? I might be able to recommend someone, but Oregon is a pretty big state.

I have done many of them but no longer maintain my license.

Down south of Corvallis is where I call home.
I'm just wanting it done and over with.
That way, I'm set up. With no worries.
If I head unlimited funds I would be a Kohler for every house.

I have a buddy in Corvallis who will probably do it. He has done lots of gennys, we used to work together putting them in schools. Send me a PM and I will get you his contact info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top