Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Well generator

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Oregonhunter5, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Who uses a generator for there well, when power is out?
    What size generator do you use?

2. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

6.5kw mini diesel. Made in china. Runs the well and few other necessities.

3. Oregonhunter5

How much are those?
    Wouldn't a Honda eu3000 run a well?

4. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I have a 4 kw generator to run my well. I have the well set up so that it plugs into a 50 amp outlet coming out of the panel. When the power goes out I can unplug the well and plug it into the 50 amp extension cord I have for the welder which then plugs into the generator.

A Honda eu3000 wouldn't work for my well, as it requires 220v and the eu3000 is only 120v.

5. Oregonhunter5

Weird question.
    What's the easiest way to know if my well runs on 220?

6. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

If it has a 2 pole breaker, it's 220-240. Most are.

7. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

To know what size generator you need you have to know how much power what you are trying to run uses. The only way I know to do that is read the label on the pump itself.....

8. HenryJ

HenryJ Eastern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My back up generator is a 4000W. (I just ordered the tri-fuel conversion kit for it.) This plugs into a manual transferswitch:

IMGP0202.JPG

It is enough to run the freezer, fridge, stove fan, well pump and a few other small items. I just ordered the tri-fuel conversion kit for it.

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Yep. If you can get to the wiring to see it you can tell, if there are three wires it's 120v and if there are four wires it's 220v. Most wells are 220v, but some (especially above-ground pumps) are 120v.

10. Fisher Bill

Fisher Bill Tigard Member

I use either my Craftsman 6500 or my propane 3500 but my well is only a 10 GPM so your results may vary depending on the draw of power your well uses.

The well's a 220 volt and the 3500 can run it but not much else, the 6500 can run it along with most everything else but I can't run two big ticket items like the well and hot water heater at the same time, this will knock down the 6500 so I alternate between those two items when the power is out.

11. Oregonhunter5

You run all of that on a 4000 watt gas generator?

12. Oregonhunter5

How can I find and electrician that knows how to wire up a quick connect for a generator? Not some simple fix. Something done right, but not a mint in expense.

13. HenryJ

Yes, and have during several outages.
    Those guages allow me to monitor the usage and see the demands. I have yet to come even close to capacity.
    I have a gas stove, range, oven and water heater, so we can live pretty comfortably with low electrical power needs.
    The well is the largest load on the generator. I have yet to see us much beyond half capacity.
    Here is a handy chart that gives some consumption figures: Energy usage chart

I added everything up while planning for a grid tied solar system and found our needs right at 4000W. That made it easy to size the generator. We don't need the whole hose, AC or furnace run by the generator.

14. Oregonhunter5

How much would it cost to have an electrician set up a unit like that?

15. HenryJ

I do not know.
    My panel came with a video and instructions for installation by the homeowner. It really is no more difficult than replacing circuit breakers. I was able to hide the conduit and mount mine close to the main breaker box. I did have to trim the huge cover plate corner a little.
    It does meet electrical code and may have to be installed by a licensed electrician depending upon your regulations.

Another option to consider:
    http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

No way to monitor usage, but it is an inexpensive way to get connected safely.

16. Oregonhunter5

Thanks!

17. mortar maggot

mortar maggot western wa Active Member

3500 watts and a gen transfer switch.

Just run the pump and a few lights, and everything else is off. when done with the pump flip the switches back over to more lights, computer, fridge, TV, etc.

HenryJ and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Cortes

Cortes Tualatin Active Member

The way to really know what the pump is using is to have an electrician check it while running with a clamp on ammeter. Or for $60 you can buy one and do it yourself.

Craftsman Digital Clamp-On Ammeter - Tools - Electricians Tools - Multi-Meters & Meters

I have a Fluke ammeter and would check a pump for someone if it wasn't too far away. Only cost you beer.

Where are you located? I might be able to recommend someone, but Oregon is a pretty big state.

I have done many of them but no longer maintain my license.

19. Oregonhunter5

Down south of Corvallis is where I call home.
    I'm just wanting it done and over with.
    That way, I'm set up. With no worries.
    If I head unlimited funds I would be a Kohler for every house.

20. Cortes

Cortes Tualatin Active Member

I have a buddy in Corvallis who will probably do it. He has done lots of gennys, we used to work together putting them in schools. Send me a PM and I will get you his contact info.