JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Daughter just left with the rest of the meat (a turkey, 20# of chicken, ribs, etc.) and the frozen veggies/fruit. Taking them to a family that hit hard times and can use some free food. Almost all of that was still frozen.

You'd be surprised how quickly I can jerk meat
Ricky-Trailer-Park-Boys-Quotes.jpg

Daughter just left with the rest of the meat (a turkey, 20# of chicken, ribs, etc.) and the frozen veggies/fruit. Taking them to a family that hit hard times and can use some free food. Almost all of that was still frozen.
Class act Heretic, I tip my hat! you put one in the good column for me today. Thanks!

Class act Heretic, I tip my hat! you put one in the good column for me today. Thanks!
It was my daughter who did the work (picking it up and taking it to the family) and suggested the destination - someone she knew whose husband fell off a ladder at work, broke both arms and other injuries, etc. - no sweat on my part, indeed it helped me out to get that food out of the freezer and off to being used by someone.

You can make your own dry ice with a bottle of CO2.
thankz for the tip,
O man, there is always something for the dyi or bug-out bag. :s0092:
kind of like the golf bag or the laundry bag or the toolbox or the freezer that just bubblegum quit & one needs to resupply the replacements.
youtube, here I come! again.
hey! anyone got a spare tank? Would it need to be chained down or is that something else?
all i know about "gases" is bubblegum a lot of it is involved in politics!

What do you do?

25 cubic feet of frozen food.

It is one thing if the power fails, but the chest freezer itself?

What to do?

Backup freezer? Costs twice as much and just sits there unused - or, full up and not usable as a backup.

Can't order/buy a replacement in time to save the food.

Cook it? Then what? Eat 25 CF of meat? Jerky? Not very likely to be able to jerk that much meat that quickly.

I saved the salmon and shrimp, but about 60% of the food can't be saved.
Dude, that really sucks. Have you looked at other preservation techniques — pickling, salting (probably others I've never heard of)?

Happened to me 6 months ago. Something tripped a breaker in the garage. Total loss by the time the smell alerted us. Had I noticed sooner, I would use/get a backup generator ASAP to save anything still frozen. Is it too late to do that?

Dude, that really sucks. Have you looked at other preservation techniques — pickling, salting (probably others I've never heard of)?
Thinking about drying and freeze drying and not getting so much frozen food at one time - instead storing what I do get inside the styrofoam boxes with ice packs that meds come in. I also have two larger styrofoam boxes that my mom sent steaks/etc. in. That and get a temp alarm.

Happened to me 6 months ago. Something tripped a breaker in the garage. Total loss by the time the smell alerted us. Had I noticed sooner, I would use/get a backup generator ASAP to save anything still frozen. Is it too late to do that?
I have a genset.

The problem wasn't power, the problem was the freezer just quit working. I had power outages earlier this year and the freezer lasted 2-3 days with only ice cream having to be thrown out. Everything is thawed today but the temp is still below 40* inside.

Our big upright broke and we lost a bunch of stuff. Like the rest of a 1/2 Bison etc etc. We used it as an opportunity to get a small chest freezer and bought some freeze dryed Mt House. The dog was happy for a while. I like the idea of offering it to others, but I didn't trust it as it was mostly thawed and some of it was already smelling.

Our big upright broke and we lost a bunch of stuff. Like the rest of a 1/2 Bison etc etc. We used it as an opportunity to get a small chest freezer and bought some freeze dryed Mt House. The dog was happy for a while. I like the idea of offering it to others, but I didn't trust it as it was mostly thawed and some of it was already smelling.
What I gave away was still frozen or mostly frozen

Got the new freezer this AM. It is almost a foot longer than the old one. It is a bit nicer too, and I had them install casters so I could move it around easily. I am packing it with gel packs and styrofoam boxes to put food in, to make it last longer if the power should fail (I have a genset that can run the freezer, but if I have to evac due to fire, like last year, they shut off the power and I can't get back in to refuel the genset, also, I may go on vacation). I am also thinking of buying some insulation board to put around the outside (leaving room for the ventilation for the compressor).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads