JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Coriolis effect has two components. That article mentioned only one.

If you are on the equator shooting E or W, only one component is present, and your bullet will hit high or low. If you are on the N pole shooting S (can't help but do that, heh) only the other component is present, and your bullets will hit to the right (at the S pole it would hit to the left). Shooting anywhere else, in any direction, both components will be present.

The way I look at it is this... Imagine you are shooting at a bullet hole in the target, and through that hole you see a star. You are actually shooting at that star. In the time it takes the bullet to get to the target, it is still headed toward that star, but in the meantime the earth has rotated and the star can no longer be seen through that bullet hole. The bullet strikes a different place on the target. (This picture ignores any other motion such as Earth rotating around the sun, sun around the galaxy, etc.) Or one could just say, you are shooting at a moving target without compensating for the movement.

I once put Art Pejsa'a ballistics equations in a spreadsheet as a calculator, so I'm kinda familiar with it by now.

We got to tour the battleship USS Massachusetts way back in 1981. One of the things that I still remember like yesterday was the HUGE mechanical fire control computer located in the armored command center way down in the guts of the ship.

The nice cute teen aged tour guide told us how many different variables affected the sometimes 60 second flight time of the huge 2000+ pound battleship shells. When everything worked correctly all 9 rounds would hit inside a football field .... at 15 miles!

Just about anything and everything could and did affect the shooting. North of the Equator. South of the Equator. At the Equator. Shooting East or West. High altitude cross winds. Hot bore. The enemy jiving and jinksing. Powder. Etc.. PURE LUCK! Amazing.

th?&id=OIP.Mda84536cfed6b589c18906db11acb96co0&w=309&h=174&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top