JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you tried to buy a major appliance lately? Months of lead time.

standard tv appl : refine search by stock only. Largest is 12.8 sq ft so OP would need two.

Im wondering exactly caused the failure and if it can be repaired. Coming from a marine engineering background, theres very little I won't try to repair.

Last Edited:
Many years ago, in a blue city to the west, a friends uncle gave him cash to stock his freezer. Interestingly he actually spent most of the cash on hamburger and bacon and only reserved a portion for his beer fund.

As time went buy he ran out of bacon in the refrigerator and went to the freezer to restock the fridge. When he opened the freezer he realized things were amiss when he was assailed with the putrid stink of rotten meat.

Being a collage student with little time to spare between his academic and drinking schedules he determined that the situation would require considerable thought and planning and being that the issue was in a containment vessel there was no reason to rush, so he went for a (few) drink (s).

Time passed (months) until his friends decided to address the issue and remove the freezer. That was when he discovered that the freezer had been in place before a room had been added to the house and the freezer would not fit thru the new doors. Did we mention that this was an old ammonia based freezer?

Long story short, using borrowed fire department breathing apparatus, the rotten meat slurry had to be scooped out in buckets and hauled outside for placement in a 55 gallon drum for disposal.

After the muck was removed and with the continued use of the breathing apparatus and borrowed saws the freezer was cut in pieces small enough to remove.

We used to run two smaller chests instead of one big one. Never had both fail, you can shut one down if you get low of stock, easier to find in stock in town, and took up about the same floor space.

In a pinch, many refrigerators turned up to max will freeze the contents. Or at least the older ones did. I saved a bunch of halibut when my basement flooded and kaput the chest freezer. but back then, nearly every mom and pop food store with a meat counter had freezer lockers you could rent space in. Kept a lot of elk and a few sides of beef that way before we got the chest freezer. . Miss the old days!!

Another thing that most people fail to consider is that most freezers are not rated for use in non climate controlled environments . I learned this one the hard way. Any freezer that's out in the garage will likely be exposed to temperature fluctuations outside what their designed for. Most freezers are designed to operate at household room temperature.

Very few are rated for garage (outdoor) use (think ~ 0* f to 110* f) and many manufactures will not provide warranty coverage if its in the garage when the service man arrives.

Many years ago, in a blue city to the west, a friends uncle gave him cash to stock his freezer. Interestingly he actually spent most of the cash on hamburger and bacon and only reserved a portion for his beer fund.

As time went buy he ran out of bacon in the refrigerator and went to the freezer to restock the fridge. When he opened the freezer he realized things were amiss when he was assailed with the putrid stink of rotten meat.

Being a collage student with little time to spare between his academic and drinking schedules he determined that the situation would require considerable thought and planning and being that the issue was in a containment vessel there was no reason to rush, so he went for a (few) drink (s).

Time passed (months) until his friends decided to address the issue and remove the freezer. That was when he discovered that the freezer had been in place before a room had been added to the house and the freezer would not fit thru the new doors. Did we mention that this was an old ammonia based freezer?

Long story short, using borrowed fire department breathing apparatus, the rotten meat slurry had to be scooped out in buckets and hauled outside for placement in a 55 gallon drum for disposal.

After the muck was removed and with the continued use of the breathing apparatus and borrowed saws the freezer was cut in pieces small enough to remove.
I woulda been tempted to jackhammer
Another thing that most people fail to consider is that most freezers are not rated for use in non climate controlled environments . I learned this one the hard way. Any freezer that's out in the garage will likely be exposed to temperature fluctuations outside what their designed for. Most freezers are designed to operate at household room temperature.

Very few are rated for garage (outdoor) use (think ~ 0* f to 110* f) and many manufactures will not provide warranty coverage if its in the garage when the service man arrives.
Heating the freezer makes perfect sense.

What do you do?

25 cubic feet of frozen food.

It is one thing if the power fails, but the chest freezer itself?

What to do?

Backup freezer? Costs twice as much and just sits there unused - or, full up and not usable as a backup.

Can't order/buy a replacement in time to save the food.

Cook it? Then what? Eat 25 CF of meat? Jerky? Not very likely to be able to jerk that much meat that quickly.

I saved the salmon and shrimp, but about 60% of the food can't be saved.
We put in a new refrigerator the other week as the old one just died. It took about six days before it was delivered. Thank goodness we had little in the freezer and what was there we put on ice until the new one arrived. It was close, but the meat made it. It thawed a bit, but not bad.

Which is why we don't keep all that much frozen. Canned or dried is the way to go.

Bummer about your loss. We've had many power failures and dealt with them, but when the machinery dies it's tough.

SIL is up here helping. Went to go get some dry ice. Moving all the meat, going to try to save the prepped meals with the dry ice, but not a big loss if not. When new freezer gets here I will fill it about half full with "ice" packs across the bottom and put any new meat in styrofoam boxes that meds come in so the meat will last longer if power goes out. Throwing out ice cream.

Going to get freezer alarm too - there are wireless ones.

And yes, most of my prep food is shelf stable - the freezer is just for food I regularly eat

Not very likely to be able to jerk that much meat that quickly.

Begs to disagree:

1622757153279.jpeg

Dry ice can be difficult to find, and you almost need to go thru a BGC w/ID. Forget about the expense.
I believe last time I bought some for a project for a grandson years ago, there was a minimum required age limit, so ID required, no matter how many gray, white, silver or any hairs , one may have. It seems like I was quizzed regarding the purpose of my intended purchase. Any more, we are all guilty & must prove ourselves innocent. More gubermint bullgumm.

I like & use the bottled water idea. Depending on the weather at the time, it may be possible to freeze o/s in a short time, if you are not already building preparations. I'm on a well & w/o backup emergency power support pumps are well known to fail at the most inappropriate times!

I'd be interested to assist, send me smoke signal when its dinner!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top