Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Welcome to NWFA 2.0!

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

We made it! I'd like to officially welcome you to NWFA 2.0! After months of hard work we've finally made to jump to our new forum software, which as you can see, is much more streamlined and packed with new features. I want to say thank you to those who donated once we were back online. This migration was not cheap, but it was required (our old software was no longer supported).

A couple points I want to touch on.

Private Messages (PM's) are now called Conversations.

You'll notice the way these work are quite a bit different, but much better. Rather than an individual message, like email, conversations have a 'threaded' layout, just like threads in a forum. These threaded conversations are much easier to follow due to all the messages being in-line with each other. To 'delete' a conversation, you simply 'leave' the conversation and it goes away. You can also include others in these conversations, with a maximum of 5 people. While folders no longer exist, you can star conversations or create prefixes for sorting. To create conversation prefixes, go to your Preferences and click Conversation Prefixes.

More information can be found here

Feedback

As you can see, the feedback system is up and running again. It's a little different, but it's all there. I haven't had time to poke around with new features, but I will soon.

Reviews

I'll be getting the new review software up and running in the next couple of days. This new software is a stand alone module, rather than threads, which is very powerful. We'll be using it to review local businesses as well as firearms, gear, etc. When it's ready you'll see a link in the navigation bar at the top, between Forums and Information.

Mobile Browsing

This has, no doubt, been a big question for us and our members. Many of you use the Tapatalk software, which was previously installed. For the time being, we will not be using Tapatalk, due to security issues present in their software. We have, however, developed this site using a 'responsive' style, meaning it should adjust to fit the screen of mobile devices. Though we still need to tweak it a bit, it appears it's working well. Unlike Tapatalk, this gives you the full site experience rather than a container with a few features. We will be revisiting this periodically, and may decide to install Tapatalk again in the future. I'm interested in hearing feedback on this.

Classified Functionality

Over the next day or two we'll be working hard to get the classified functionality setup. We have new bump software (currently called 'up', which will be renamed). As a way of saying thank you, this new software will be configured to allow Bronze Members to bump every 5 days, Gold Members to bump every 4 days, and Platinum Members to bump every 3 days. Regular Members will remain at 7 day intervals.

There is also a lot of confusion over the prefixes and state searches, which should be fixed today. When you create a thread you'll be able to select multiple prefixes, and when searching for something you'll be able to 'filter' prefixes to see exactly what you want. For example, you could search "WTT ID" and "WTS OR" in the same search, it's completely customizable. This will replace the state search features, and allow for much greater flexibility.

What used to be referred to as open and closed is now referred to as locked or unlocked, signified by a gold lock in the thread list. Our policy of locking a thread after the item has sold hasn't changed. You now lock a thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" within your thread and unchecking the Open box.

Smilies

Though they're near the bottom of the important list, smilies will be coming back either today or tomorrow :)

Final Word

I want to thank everyone for your patience and support, both yesterday and in the near future. Overall the migration went very smooth, but there's no doubt we're going to have some pains as both our members and our staff get acquainted with the new software. I can assure you, we're in a much better place now. I can now begin to fulfill those promises we talked about prior to the migration.

Enjoy!

===========================================

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

I like the new look but I have one question. Why, when a thread is either closed or locked, do you just not delete it. That would make things even neater and easier to view.

GunBit45 and HHT like this.
  3. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

Looks great to me. Thanks Joe for putting in all the hard work! We appreciate it!!! :)

Joe Link likes this.
  4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The content is indexed by the search engines, which is how we get new visitors. Even if it's not the best content, it has value for bringing in new visitors.

Sgt Nambu and CIPuyleart like this.
  5. Memuxamune

Memuxamune SE PDX New Member

Looking good guys! :D

Joe Link likes this.
  6. Artpro

Artpro Salem, OR. Artpro Bronze Supporter

Joey et.al., I look forward to exploring the new site. I also look forward to meeting you next Saturday.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Art

Joe Link likes this.
  7. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

How do you remove the chat box from being displayed? I can't stand that feature and on the old verson at least you could minimize the chat box to keep from seeing it...

So far I'm not a fan of xenforo s/w... I know other sites are using it as well and I think it just sucks all around.

8. Joe Link

I'm not sure there's a way to do that, but I'll see if I can find one.

9. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Isn't this really more like v3.0? I remember a previous change...

10. Joe Link

Heh actually, you're right, we moved from vB 3.x to vB 4.

Ah well, I'm not going to change it now. That was small compared to this! :D

11. techieguy

Joe I would appreciate that a lot

Joe Link likes this.
  12. techieguy

The other thing I just notices is the emails notifications no longer have the texts of the updated posts. It just says the thread has been updated... This was a nice feature as you didn't have to read the posting to see what was posted... When I'm at work, they realy don't appreciate me going to gun related web sites :-(

Jynx, cclfn and Don H like this.
  13. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Thanks Joe.

14. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Great new look. Looks like it went smooth!! Good job!

15. Joe Link

I'll evaluate this as well, thanks.

It really did. Still a ton of work to do, but I've been developing this and planning the migration since November. I couldn't be happier at this point :)

16. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Yeah, I bet. Sometimes these things can go sideways for no apparent reason, Anyways, looks like you did good kid :)

Joe Link likes this.
  17. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I don't see a button for multiple quotes in a post? And, are we not supposed to see our own feedback?

Take your time Joe, I'm in no hurry. I'm thinking YOU NEED some sleep.

Mike

18. Joe Link

Sleep? what's that? what I need is a stiff drink :D

This version of the software doesn't have traditional multi-quote, but you can click reply as many times as you'd like and it'll quote it in the quick reply box. Just do it in order of how you want to reply. In the next version they have true multi-quote, but it's still in beta, so we won't be upgrading for at least a couple months.

19. 1OldBob

1OldBob Molalla, Or New Member

I like the new interface.
    Thanks for the hard work .

20. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I just tried to close a thread and I didn't see the Administrative option to close my own thread. FYI

THanks, Joe!!