Weighing Bullets -- how much difference matters?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by awshoot, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Silver Hand

Silver Hand
    Southern Oregon Coast

In the 1980s I found 180 grain Nosler partition bullet variables that were over fifteen grains in weight from the same lot.
    I went nuts sorting and weighing bullet weights after that for years. Ask me if I do it now.

2. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

Do you do it now? :D

orygun, awshoot and Silver Hand like this.
  3. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Beaverton
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

For powder, varget is pretty consistently good in 6.5. Also h4895 I think powder change and different weight will be more important than bullet weight differences.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    USMC-03 and awshoot like this.
  4. Silver Hand

Silver Hand
    Southern Oregon Coast

Lapua is great brass! When you finally settle on your best round make sure you purchase enough powder, bullets, cases and primers from the same lot number so you can duplicate it exactly in the future.

My best example is the same load exactly to the tick, except for the brass in an old .264 Win. Westerner.
    With Winchester balloon cases the rifle shot sub MOA -3/4'' at 100 Yards all day long. I purchased new Remington brass worked up the load exactly, only to find it shot the same load at +6'' at 100 yards.
    Through research I found the difference was in the case design [ the web at the case base + volume] and I had to start all over again with the Remington brass. Never was I able to duplicate the performance of the Balloon cases with Remington brass.

Variations in bullet weight did not matter, as much as concentricity of the overall round.
    Just sayen
    Silver Hand

awshoot likes this.
  5. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

Remington brass definitely has more capacity than most other manufacturers. I learned that first hand by measuring volumes of several different manufacturers.

Silver Hand likes this.
  6. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Beaverton

Lapua brass or stop shooting and learn to play the tuba. No other brass compares.

7. Silver Hand

Silver Hand
    Southern Oregon Coast

Best brass may not give you the best load for accuracy!

8. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Beaverton

With the right work up it will.

Every. Time.

9. Crohnos01

Crohnos01
    SW Washington
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Hmmm.... In my case, I would have enough brass cases I could probably make my own tuba out of left over cases... I do occasionally whistle across the empty case mouth...:p

10. Silver Hand

Silver Hand
    Southern Oregon Coast

Yea for the brass you are loading! Did you not read my post about the .264 balloon brass issues I had? That was the extreme in my almost forty years of reloading.

I have found brass can make a difference due to case configuration and case volume.