JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm reasonably good with firearms but I'm out of my element identifying old scopes. I got this recently and am trying to figure out something about it. Google says this model of scope was used on springfield sniper rifles, but they dont have the larger objective, it also isnt marked in any military way so I suspect that would be too good to be true. Only markings are the weaver 330 el Paso texas on the data plate, and R.A. Litschert I believe on the objective. It's in good shape optically, it has an extremely fine crosshair. Also has leupold style mounts.

20190325_181505.jpg 20190325_181459.jpg 20190325_181516.jpg 20190325_181507.jpg 20190325_181538.jpg 20190325_181457.jpg

Well it seems I may need an 03A4 to go along with it, or at least a clone. It's clear enough it is definitely shootable. But it definitely makes you appreciate modern optics, it's like looking through a magnified straw.

I know its a old thread but thought is add my input as I just saw it. The rings look correct as most military rings of the period were vertical spilt. And if military in that time period they used what ever they could get ahold of to make a4's. The RA objective is a add on magnifier they made them in 2x to 6x i believe so you could have a 5.5x to a 16.5x. It should be removable from the scope but the original glass and screw mount may not be there. Sure you already found all this info but I was bored!

That's all good info, thanks!

I still have this scope in my gun room awaiting a rifle, I was originally going to put it on my model 8 but I found an original setup 330 for that rifle. Someone has suggest to me that a 1940s or 50s varmint rifle would make a perfect host for this scope and that sounded good to me, so I guess that's what I'm waiting for.

Here is a M8 compared to your commercial scope

10489115_2.jpg

Here is M73B1

20190430160532-1705.jpg

20190430160531-1476.jpg

As I said earlier a commercial scope can be correct for a very early 03A4 but the scopes did evolve and while they do not say US on them they are marked as such along with having finger adjustments versus needing a screwdriver . The other differences were reticles.

The early 330 commercials had fine cross hairs, later in the M8 they went to a post , then a post and cross wire in the M73 B1

I know its a old thread but thought is add my input as I just saw it. The rings look correct as most military rings of the period were vertical spilt. And if military in that time period they used what ever they could get ahold of to make a4's. The RA objective is a add on magnifier they made them in 2x to 6x i believe so you could have a 5.5x to a 16.5x. It should be removable from the scope but the original glass and screw mount may not be there. Sure you already found all this info but I was bored!

The rings and bases used on the M1903A4 were the commercially available Redfield Jr rings and mount. They designed a base for the M1903A3 at the request of the Army when they were working on adapting the 03A3 to the sniping role.

Just as an aside the Lyman Alaskan and the ruggedized military version were used in Korea as replacements for the 330 series scopes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top