JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My complaints about all cobra slings is that they get set at one length and stay that way, they aren't easy to use as a shooting aid unless the length is magically correct for carry and to wrap up, they are pretty stiff, and they don't stow away well if I'm going through the brush.

I use a Butler Creek Mountain Sling when pinching pennies. It is nylon, easily adjustable, has a stretch of neoprene stitched into it to keep it from slipping, and I can take it off and roll it up into a ball and put it in my pocket. Its also the same width throughout and makes for a good hasty sling.

When I got some extra money or the rifle is more on the classy side, I use a Safari Strap from Trader Keith. Looks great on a wood stock and does all the things the mountain sling does, but better.

F00177E8-405C-4905-BC7E-D2F3DB5B0D61.jpeg

My complaints about all cobra slings is that they get set at one length and stay that way, they aren't easy to use as a shooting aid unless the length is magically correct for carry and to wrap up, they are pretty stiff, and they don't stow away well if I'm going through the brush.

I use a Butler Creek Mountain Sling when pinching pennies. It is nylon, easily adjustable, has a stretch of neoprene stitched into it to keep it from slipping, and I can take it off and roll it up into a ball and put it in my pocket. Its also the same width throughout and makes for a good hasty sling.

When I got some extra money or the rifle is more on the classy side, I use a Safari Strap from Trader Keith. Looks great on a wood stock and does all the things the mountain sling does, but better.

View attachment 599172
I have been looking at the Butler Creek neoprene sling and thought it would be much more comfortable.

I too have no experience with the sling in question. However, I ran across an old American Rifleman article (10/16/2014) that was interesting and has caused me to play with a few configurations:

The Only Way To Sling

You can use the sling the way the article states and it is very stable. IMHO (and with my limited experience) better than a hasty sling, etc.

Ching1_grande.jpg

You can use a "Ching sling" which is a modified version of the above but with three points of contact front and rear.

upload_2019-7-13_12-38-23.jpeg

Currently, I am experimenting on my ARs with a sling like the one in the article but with an adjustable cam buckle inline and with QD attachments to the front of the rifle and just in front of the magwell (so it would look and function like in the article) plus a Viking Tactic 2.0 adjustable sling from the buttstock forward that can attach to a QD link ( Magpul MS1 to MS4 Adapter Nylon Coyote ) at the rear of the sling that attached to the position in front of the magwell or be extended forward to a second QD attachment at the front of the rifle.

So far, the front (what I'll call the "Mannlicher sling" or front portion works well for me at the range. I need more time to play with the rear and see about it's functionality. The good news is that it can be removed or added as needed but it does look a little more messy - however I'm going more for utility that looks.

From the look of your rifle, maybe the Mannlicher type sling might also be something to consider?

Good luck with your "sling journey" OP.

May the "steady arm of the Sling Force" be with you :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top