JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .300 Wby Mag. I also had a Remington 700 SPS in .300 Win Mag. I sold the Remington because I didn't like the recoil. Even though the Weatherby is generally a bit harder hitting cartridge (on both ends), shooting the Vanguard S2 was much more pleasant. I think it is a little heavier than the Remington, and it fit me much better. I also had a .257 Wby Mag in a Vanguard S1. I don't think I would have liked that gun in .300 Wby or .300 Win Mag. For the (to me) small gains in performance over my .25-06, I felt the increase in recoil was excessive. Admittedly, I'm an absolute huge fan of the .25-06. For me, the Vanguard S2 was a big improvement over the Vanguard S1 in felt recoil, and it had a much better trigger as well.

I don't know if this really helps you any, but I tried. :s0092:

Can't speak to the combination of 300 Win Mag in a Vanguard, but I can tell you the 300 Win Mag is a very capable cartridge for Elk. A bit much for deer, but many people us it for that.
Recoil can be an issue for some people, but when I had a couple of Ruger 77 MKIIs, one in 30-06 and one in 300 Win Mag, I didn't notice much difference in recoil between the two, but recoil doesn't bother me too much.
Not a fan of the Howa rifles, which the Weatherby is. I had a Smith and Wesson 1500 years ago, built on the same platform, but that comes down to personal preference.
If that Weatherby fits the shooter well, the recoil will be minimized and it's certainly capable of taking most anything you'll be hunting around here.

Thanks for feedback. It is a 2. Virtually brand new. I knew someone who bought a gun and did not have OK from Mrs. Last thing I needed was another gun but want is a different story. For deer I prefer smaller caliber, my 250 savage has bagged many and been plenty sufficient in the past. also have 308 J P Sauer and a 60's 7mm mag in a 700 Remington. and a few others. I will shoot this one and if I like it use for elk. Again thanks for the info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top