JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I have been saying for years, WDFW couldn't manage to fix a bologna sammich when it comes to our fish resources. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"WDFW on Tuesday announced upcoming coast-wide changes to sportfishing regulations in an effort to conserve wild steelhead as several coastal rivers are expected to again come in below escapement goals."

And nothing will be mentioned about the tribal nets that kill every fish, wild included that swims in their nets but they are under federal protection to get their 50% no matter what...

• "Fishing from a floating device is prohibited.
  • Selective gear rules are in effect prohibiting the use of bait (including scents or scented materials), except only one single-point barbless hook is allowed.
  • Anglers must release all wild rainbow trout.":mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not like they'll enforce the new regs anyway...

I'll bet that they do especially on the Wynoochee, Satsop and Chehalis Rivers because that's how many people fish for steelhead. Many drift boats just use them for transportation to good gravel bars not available to bankies.

How forcefully they will enforce this insane mandate is left up to speculation but gamies are set up as LE so there's that.

I've caught many many steelhead drift fishing using a sml white corkie, spin n glo with a small tuft of egg colored yarn with no scent.

Last Edited:
Yep, a lot of non tribal fishermen want to know when they will get their 50%.
Tribal fishermen do not manage the resource. They take the allotment that they were granted after we destroyed their way of life and penned them up on crappy soil.

Not trying to start a beef, but offering a little perspective. FWIW

Last Edited:
I've caught many many steelhead drift fishing using a sml white corkie, spin n glo with a small tuft of egg colored yarn with no scent.

^^^ This is true!!!

Small Pink/White Corkie and a tuft of green yarn.... I've caught just as many that way is I have with worms, eggs, cockttail shrimp, calamari, jig, fly, etc.

But no boat??? Phuck, I ain standing in the river no more!!!

I don't see the problem. Managing the resource is whats important. I don't want my grandkids goin without that experience.
Well as a lifetime resident of WA state I have seen how the WDFW manages our natural resources. Trusting them to manage them with common sense and science is akin to trusting Bernie Madoff with your life's savings.

^^^ This is true!!!

Small Pink/White Corkie and a tuft of green yarn.... I've caught just as many that way is I have with worms, eggs, cockttail shrimp, calamari, jig, fly, etc.

But no boat??? Phuck, I ain standing in the river no more!!!

Yes indeed, when I was younger I'd stand nut deep in a freezing river just to get my drug, the TUG... :D

I posed a question on a fishing board saying that WDFW is gonna get sued for disability infringement....:mad:

It says "Appointed by the governor" :s0140: They'd have to be people that wouldn't know anything about fish/fishing, me thinks.

@Caveman Jim I've been out of the steelhead fishing game for many years. Only steelhead I fished for after giving up the bank fishing for them...Upper Clack summers and Clack winters, Sandy winters, some coastal winters, was summer run on the Columbia around the mouth of The Sandy. Probably 6?, 7 years?

I always had the feeling Wa did their anadromous fisherman pretty darn good compared to ODFW. I felt the Indian hatcheries putting salmon in the Columbia is a big plus. Did you guys have the NFS crying in every damned court they could to stop hatchery plants? I know there'd been some issues with natives stringing nets all the way across small rivers up there.

And does anybody, anywhere(?), bring up high seas interception of Northwest anadromous fish?

I'm sure glad I got to the Northwest when I did. I got to fish some great fisheries before they went to bubblegum. Considering the fish available to fisherman NOW compared to 20 years ago, I'm surprised people still spend the money they do to fish! It shouldn't be a rich mans sport. It wasn't when I started in '84? We didn't have much discretionary money to spend back then. Now I've got no problem with having the money to fish, but I'm NOT going to pour money into something that feels like a waste. I fish because of the possibility that I can BRING FISH HOME! It's okay if I don't bring anything home. But the likely hood needs to be there.

I'd met some fine people over the years on the banks, and in the boat. People that I fished beside on a regular basis, year after year. There were also some dicks. But that's life. I miss 'em. (not the dicks) ;)

It says "Appointed by the governor" :s0140: They'd have to be people that wouldn't know anything about fish/fishing, me thinks.

@Caveman Jim I've been out of the steelhead fishing game for many years. Only steelhead I fished for after giving up the bank fishing for them...Upper Clack summers and Clack winters, Sandy winters, some coastal winters, was summer run on the Columbia around the mouth of The Sandy. Probably 6?, 7 years?

I always had the feeling Wa did their anadromous fisherman pretty darn good compared to ODFW. I felt the Indian hatcheries putting salmon in the Columbia is a big plus. Did you guys have the NFS crying in every damned court they could to stop hatchery plants? I know there'd been some issues with natives stringing nets all the way across small rivers up there.

And does anybody, anywhere(?), bring up high seas interception of Northwest anadromous fish?

I'm sure glad I got to the Northwest when I did. I got to fish some great fisheries before they went to bubblegum. Considering the fish available to fisherman NOW compared to 20 years ago, I'm surprised people still spend the money they do to fish! It shouldn't be a rich mans sport. It wasn't when I started in '84? We didn't have much discretionary money to spend back then. Now I've got no problem with having the money to fish, but I'm NOT going to pour money into something that feels like a waste. I fish because of the possibility that I can BRING FISH HOME! It's okay if I don't bring anything home. But the likely hood needs to be there.

I'd met some fine people over the years on the banks, and in the boat. People that I fished beside on a regular basis, year after year. There were also some dicks. But that's life. I miss 'em. (not the dicks) ;)

I didn't fish those rivers, but this could have been written by me. This is my experience almost exactly. I never needed a fish every time out, but I needed the "chance" at a fish. I have a hard time with it now and I can way more afford to do it than I did then. While the tribes have an interest, they don't always work in the interest of the entire fishery. I've seen way too many nets closing off all runs and discarded carcasses on the banks harvested for eggs to be unjaded. Addressing habitat and ocean escapement needs to be done, but we can't have indiscriminate fishing in the rivers either. The sportsman cannot carry the burden of saving the runs alone.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top