JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I may be headed down to the Lincoln City area at some point soon (from Seattle) and am wondering if anyone knows if there are any county sherrifs along the way that are open to issuing out of state permits, especially if they'd take an online training course for the education requirement. It'd also be nice if they accepted applicants on Fridays, though I know that's fairly rare.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of opportunities to apply with visiting Oregon sherrifs at any upcoming Washington gun shows, that'd be of interest as well.

Welcome to the forum.

My wife and myself just went through this, we both went through different counties. I live on the border of Oregon so keep this in mind, my experience may be different than yours. We both had training done prior, live fire and classroom from a class we took. I did do the Maryland course as well for a backup and submitted both when I applied.

YMMV.

Multnomah will issue to Clark County residents. At least in my experience. My wife spends alot of time there and they were happy to give her a permit. I have heard horror stories about Multnomah and our experience was about as good as it gets. Be prepared for long wait times for your appointment in Multnomah.

I received my permit from Columbia County. Remember, Columbia and Clark share a border, they were happy to issue me a permit as long as I routinely travel through, which I do. At least weekly. I had to write a letter, self defense was sufficient. The Sheriffs Department DID check my character references which surprised me. Multnomah did not check my wifes. Columbia also required a valid Washington CPL, I used this as a second form of identification.

A few things to know.

Oregon is MAY issue for us Evergreen State folks. We had no problems even though we went through one of the most liberal areas of the state ( Portland ), they were professional , courteous, and this was just business as usual. Most sheriffs seem to want you to at least have some business in their county, in my experience. Columbia made it very clear that I needed to pass through, with some regularity. Travel, vacation, business, was enough. Be prepared for LONG wait times. I am talking up to several months for your actual appointment. Doing this during a pre planned trip may be hard if not impossible at this point in time. Neither of us could have.

If I were you living that far north;

I would contact the Grant County Sheriff office and ask when Sheriff Palmer will be in Washington again. Mark it on your calendar and get it done. He is GTG and will help you out. I was originally going to make a trip and see him this summer but both Multnomah and Columbia were GTG for us.

If you have any other questions put them out there and we will answer if we can.

I went through Linn Co.. At the time they had no appointment needed, just show up durring business hours. Self-defense was a good enough justification.

Check out their website to make sure nothing has changed, but I am not sure about the online training course. You might want to call and ask about that.

Any idea if Benton Country will do this? I am a Forestry student at OSU, and may very well be balancing my time between Corvallis and the Puget Sound area where I will be working as a corporate pilot. I suppose if Benton won't I could try Linn, right next door as it's hard to not be in both counties in the same day.

I just received my Utah CCL and it is my understanding that Oregon will accept Utah's training requirements. I will be in Oregon next week will I still need an appointment to apply for my permit? Are there certain days of the week and times that are available to apply for a permit or does that depend on the County? If nothing else I will stop by and inquire. I'll go online and check it out too.

Any idea if Benton Country will do this? I am a Forestry student at OSU, and may very well be balancing my time between Corvallis and the Puget Sound area where I will be working as a corporate pilot. I suppose if Benton won't I could try Linn, right next door as it's hard to not be in both counties in the same day.

Are you a Oregon resident ? I assume you are based on your location in your profile, if so, apply in your county. Oregon is shall issue for residents. Washington is also shall issue for residents, or non residents.

If you are a Washington resident you have fewer options for getting a Oregon chl, but still many.

Multnomah, Columbia, Lynn, Grant, all have been known to issue to Washington residents with varying levels of difficulty ( usually none ).

I just received my Utah CCL and it is my understanding that Oregon will accept Utah's training requirements. I will be in Oregon next week will I still need an appointment to apply for my permit? Are there certain days of the week and times that are available to apply for a permit or does that depend on the County? If nothing else I will stop by and inquire. I'll go online and check it out too.

Most counties are requiring a appointment due to a huge increase in applicants this year.

Give the sheriffs office a call wherever you are visiting and ask.

Actually, I am a Washington resident. I go to school full time at OSU in Corvallis, and I frequently travel back and forth between Corvallis and Tacoma/Seattle for work and family purposes. Given that I study forestry I spend a lot of time in the woods, and would like to carry regardless of whether I'm in town or in the woods or traveliing between Puget Sound and Corvallis.

Are you a Oregon resident ? I assume you are based on your location in your profile, if so, apply in your county. Oregon is shall issue for residents. Washington is also shall issue for residents, or non residents.

If you are a Washington resident you have fewer options for getting a Oregon chl, but still many.

Multnomah, Columbia, Lynn, Grant, all have been known to issue to Washington residents with varying levels of difficulty ( usually none ).

Actually, I am a Washington resident. I go to school full time at OSU in Corvallis, and I frequently travel back and forth between Corvallis and Tacoma/Seattle for work and family purposes. Given that I study forestry I spend a lot of time in the woods, and would like to carry regardless of whether I'm in town or in the woods or traveliing between Puget Sound and Corvallis.

Well, I did a little research. Looks like this is Benton County ?

From Off ( this is OLD information, please call and verify ) it looks like this county will not issue to non residents...

CHL Central - Benton County - Oregon Firearms Federation

So...

I would wait for Multnomah to start issuing to non residents again, they stopped due to a backlog of applications. If you have business in Columbia county, they will also issue you a permit without " issue ".

There is also Grant. Sheriff Palmer makes trips to Washington specifically for this purpose. Call his office and see when he will be up by you again, he does this a few times a year and is GTG as long as you are not a prohibited person.

Hope this helps.

EDIT

I have spent a fair amount of time in the woods here in Washington during my short residency and fully understand the desire to carry in the woods. I have come across more shady folks in places back where I wouldn't expect to find them than I have here in East Vancouver...

Just an observation.

Good info, thanks! Either of those counties sound like a winner, if it works out while I am in WA at the same time Sheriff Palmer is I'll make it a point to go see him.

It's not just the woods in Washington, it's just anywhere. You should see some of the shady things I've seen backwoods Florida! Makes me glad I've got my faithful Beretta with me, never had to pull it though.

Several years ago, before my father retired form Weyerhaeuser one of the company helicopters was shot at by a bow hunter (poacher) on Weyerhaeuser land who thought the helo was a game warden. Helicopter took a carbon arrow right through the tail rotor, bending the tail boom and crippling the ship. The pilot was able to land on a highway - fortunately near a state trooper who called in the wardens and more troopers. They caught the guy within an hour and he's now doing 15-20 for a multitude of charges.

It's stuff like that that makes me want to be prepared in the field....regardless of the state. As a forester just trying to do my job, I may look like a warden to a poacher, and I'm not willing to take that chance.

Well, I did a little research. Looks like this is Benton County ?

From Off ( this is OLD information, please call and verify ) it looks like this county will not issue to non residents...

CHL Central - Benton County - Oregon Firearms Federation

So...

I would wait for Multnomah to start issuing to non residents again, they stopped due to a backlog of applications. If you have business in Columbia county, they will also issue you a permit without " issue ".

There is also Grant. Sheriff Palmer makes trips to Washington specifically for this purpose. Call his office and see when he will be up by you again, he does this a few times a year and is GTG as long as you are not a prohibited person.

Hope this helps.

EDIT

I have spent a fair amount of time in the woods here in Washington during my short residency and fully understand the desire to carry in the woods. I have come across more shady folks in places back where I wouldn't expect to find them than I have here in East Vancouver...

Just an observation.

Good info, thanks! Either of those counties sound like a winner, if it works out while I am in WA at the same time Sheriff Palmer is I'll make it a point to go see him.

It's not just the woods in Washington, it's just anywhere. You should see some of the shady things I've seen backwoods Florida! Makes me glad I've got my faithful Beretta with me, never had to pull it though.

Several years ago, before my father retired form Weyerhaeuser one of the company helicopters was shot at by a bow hunter (poacher) on Weyerhaeuser land who thought the helo was a game warden. Helicopter took a carbon arrow right through the tail rotor, bending the tail boom and crippling the ship. The pilot was able to land on a highway - fortunately near a state trooper who called in the wardens and more troopers. They caught the guy within an hour and he's now doing 15-20 for a multitude of charges.

It's stuff like that that makes me want to be prepared in the field....regardless of the state. As a forester just trying to do my job, I may look like a warden to a poacher, and I'm not willing to take that chance.

Man... Thank you for posting that. I think some people think I'm nuts when I say the woods can get a little " interesting ". Glad a forester can confirm I'm not off my rocker. For the first several months I thought I was just having bad luck. There was a woman whom went missing at the " rainbow " gathering in skamania county a couple few years back. I came across a guy one day that looked spot on the person of interest she was last seen with, in you guessed it, skamania county. He was alone, in a chair , MILES off the pavement, wearing a western duster, black cowboy hat and aviators, just hanging out. Looked kinda like a heavy metal hippy cowboy.

Dude could have been straight out of a Rob Zombie Horror Movie. I kid you not. Of course he probably was wondering WTF I was doing as well !

LOL

You have lots of options to get a CHL in Oregon, put forth the effort and apply in the right county and you will be GTG.

Welcome to the forum.

My wife and myself just went through this, we both went through different counties. I live on the border of Oregon so keep this in mind, my experience may be different than yours. We both had training done prior, live fire and classroom from a class we took. I did do the Maryland course as well for a backup and submitted both when I applied.

YMMV.

Multnomah will issue to Clark County residents. At least in my experience. My wife spends alot of time there and they were happy to give her a permit. I have heard horror stories about Multnomah and our experience was about as good as it gets. Be prepared for long wait times for your appointment in Multnomah.

I received my permit from Columbia County. Remember, Columbia and Clark share a border, they were happy to issue me a permit as long as I routinely travel through, which I do. At least weekly. I had to write a letter, self defense was sufficient. The Sheriffs Department DID check my character references which surprised me. Multnomah did not check my wifes. Columbia also required a valid Washington CPL, I used this as a second form of identification.

A few things to know.

Oregon is MAY issue for us Evergreen State folks. We had no problems even though we went through one of the most liberal areas of the state ( Portland ), they were professional , courteous, and this was just business as usual. Most sheriffs seem to want you to at least have some business in their county, in my experience. Columbia made it very clear that I needed to pass through, with some regularity. Travel, vacation, business, was enough. Be prepared for LONG wait times. I am talking up to several months for your actual appointment. Doing this during a pre planned trip may be hard if not impossible at this point in time. Neither of us could have.

I would contact the Grant County Sheriff office and ask when Sheriff Palmer will be in Washington again. Mark it on your calendar and get it done. He is GTG and will help you out. I was originally going to make a trip and see him this summer but both Multnomah and Columbia were GTG for us.

If you have any other questions put them out there and we will answer if we can.

Well here is what I have found out. Duane Black is absolutely correct. I went to Multnomah Co armed with the knowledge Duane provided which took the surprise out of their answer. They did indicate that they should be taking applications again for Non-residents as soon as September (possibly). They did suggest going to Columbia Co. to get my permit. I did call a couple of other counties and received some unpleasant responses regarding Non-resident permits. I called Columbia Co with a little expectation of being given a hard time. The person I spoke to was quite the opposite to the the point of inviting the opportunity of making an appointment. The only hiccup is the first available appointment was a month out. For me that does not create a problem. I can work my appointment into my next trip down to Oregon with little inconvenience.

It really is kinda bothersome that Oregon doesn't honor permits from other states but what can you do about it besides jump through their hoops. I suppose I could open carry but I prefer to conceal. I don't see that anyone else has any business knowing that I am armed. To many folks out there that get to darned squirrelly when they see you are armed. I prefer to pick and choose my fights rather than deal with some self righteous gay liberal. I have taken all of the precautions to make sure I am legal to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights up to and including insurance.

NWFA has been very helpful in this pursuit.

I thought you meant Benton County WA and was about to make with the stupid. N/M, carry on...:p

It really is kinda bothersome that Oregon doesn't honor permits from other states but what can you do about it besides jump through their hoops. I suppose I could open carry but I prefer to conceal. I don't see that anyone else has any business knowing that I am armed. To many folks out there that get to darned squirrelly when they see you are armed. I prefer to pick and choose my fights rather than deal with some self righteous gay liberal. I have taken all of the precautions to make sure I am legal to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights up to and including insurance.

NWFA has been very helpful in this pursuit.

I wish OR offered reciprocity or didn't require permits at all.

Just for giggles you might check with the Yamhill County Sheriffs office. Sheriff is pro 2A, worth
a call. Not sure what the drill is for a non-resident. From the Website:

Q. When can I apply for a new CHL once I complete my handgun safety course; and
how much does it cost?
A. New CHL applications are processed every Wednesday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. and
Friday from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. on a walk-in basis (no appointments necessary).

Welcome to the forum.

YMMV.

A few things to know.

It says shall issue in the first paragraph. ORS 166.291 - Issuance of concealed handgun license - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top