JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With all the threads for Dicks in Oregon I thought I would share my rant.

Seeing as Joe Link did not include a Washington location I guess this one will suffice for my rant. (Was temporarily in the Portland Dicks thread.)
We have a new Dicks being built at the Black Lake Mall in Olympia as we speak. They built it right smack dab in the parking lot!!!!!
Now mind you that there was NOT ENOUGH parking spaces to begin with..... now a new Dicks sporting goods store goes in on top of over 100+ parking spaces..... maybe, just maybe, they should have built a 2nd story on top of the existing structure!!!!!
Rant over and I still will not step foot into this or ANY other Dicks store!!!:cool:

With a name like that I was reluctant to go inside in the first place. And I've never been back.

And what's with all the individual store threads?

Naw, Let it go buddy, you'll feel better! Seriously, The One we have down here in CO. Springs is just about the biggest leach of the public I have ever seen! My wife saw a ad for ammo at a pretty OK price and went in there, only to be ignored, belittled, and then Id'ed for wanting to buy ammo! Her state issued DL wasn't good enough ( because she has a thick Slavic accent) so they asked her for a green card:mad::mad::mad: She Demanded to speak with the store manager and proceeded to inform him that she is an American citizen and that how dare they ask for ID AND a green card from a citizen! She then walked her pretty little butt out of there and told them never again and all her friends never again!
I have been officially banned from Dick's several years ago! I don't do business with some one that demands to see AND scan my ID for any purchase other then booze and Tobacco, AND no one is ever allowed to andle my ID or to scan it, and if they try, they get the coppers called on them store policy or not:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, Rant over, back to our regularly scheduled programming:D

I remember when "Dicks" made the big push into california some years ago, (2010?) wiping out another longer-running but still relatively useless "sporting goods" store Chicks.

More than a few of us were rather amused that Chicks was becoming Dicks, and after a few short laughs we went to see if there was anything worth buying as Chicks liquidated their stock (there wasn't, they were a major retailer of sports equipment, which largely put them in competition with major retailers like Walmart and Target) so we had a few more good laughs, expressed how "unsurprised" we were by them going out of business, and then waiting for Dicks to take over, which supposedly had a real and decent "sporting goods" section, involving things we might be interested in, like outdoor equipment such as camping stoves, tents, knives, and even firearms.

When the new gigantic Dicks store opened, a number of us went out to breakfast, and then showed up on the first day, looking to engage in commerce trading some of that disposable income we didn't want, for things we did want.

To our chagrin, we came in and found more or less the same crap that Chicks had gone out of business selling. Rack after rack of tennis shoes, tennis rackets, baseball bats, gloves, balls, pads, and lots of various uniforms for team sports none of us engaged in, or were even interested in looking at. We were informed "Oh, yea, we don't sell guns in this state". Oddly enough, they didn't sell sporting goods either, we could not find a sleeping bag, backpack, camp stove, or any of the common things you might buy if you were going for a hike. We kinda figured this would be a likely avenue for them as they took over an REI location that had moved down the street some years prior.

All in all, Dicks pretty much carries nothing I can ever imagine I would be interested in. REI may be run by a bunch of smelly tree huggers, but over all, they run a good shop, sell things I want to buy, and when they are like "why do you buy so much webbing" and I respond with "gun slings" and they say "cool" they largely get a pass.

So that said, yea, Chicks became Dicks, and I foresee in the future them going out of business for the same reason.

I'm also completely confused by the whole experience of "going to the mall". generally my stress response to this kind of thing mirrors that of people in combat.

I remember when "Dicks" made the big push into california some years ago, (2010?) wiping out another longer-running but still relatively useless "sporting goods" store Chicks.

More than a few of us were rather amused that Chicks was becoming Dicks, and after a few short laughs we went to see if there was anything worth buying as Chicks liquidated their stock (there wasn't, they were a major retailer of sports equipment, which largely put them in competition with major retailers like Walmart and Target) so we had a few more good laughs, expressed how "unsurprised" we were by them going out of business, and then waiting for Dicks to take over, which supposedly had a real and decent "sporting goods" section, involving things we might be interested in, like outdoor equipment such as camping stoves, tents, knives, and even firearms.

When the new gigantic Dicks store opened, a number of us went out to breakfast, and then showed up on the first day, looking to engage in commerce trading some of that disposable income we didn't want, for things we did want.

To our chagrin, we came in and found more or less the same crap that Chicks had gone out of business selling. Rack after rack of tennis shoes, tennis rackets, baseball bats, gloves, balls, pads, and lots of various uniforms for team sports none of us engaged in, or were even interested in looking at. We were informed "Oh, yea, we don't sell guns in this state". Oddly enough, they didn't sell sporting goods either, we could not find a sleeping bag, backpack, camp stove, or any of the common things you might buy if you were going for a hike. We kinda figured this would be a likely avenue for them as they took over an REI location that had moved down the street some years prior.

All in all, Dicks pretty much carries nothing I can ever imagine I would be interested in. REI may be run by a bunch of smelly tree huggers, but over all, they run a good shop, sell things I want to buy, and when they are like "why do you buy so much webbing" and I respond with "gun slings" and they say "cool" they largely get a pass.

So that said, yea, Chicks became Dicks, and I foresee in the future them going out of business for the same reason.

I'm also completely confused by the whole experience of "going to the mall". generally my stress response to this kind of thing mirrors that of people in combat.

Silly wabbit, Dicks are for Chicks! o_O

Last Edited:
Naw, Let it go buddy, you'll feel better! Seriously, The One we have down here in CO. Springs is just about the biggest leach of the public I have ever seen! My wife saw a ad for ammo at a pretty OK price and went in there, only to be ignored, belittled, and then Id'ed for wanting to buy ammo! Her state issued DL wasn't good enough ( because she has a thick Slavic accent) so they asked her for a green card:mad::mad::mad: She Demanded to speak with the store manager and proceeded to inform him that she is an American citizen and that how dare they ask for ID AND a green card from a citizen! She then walked her pretty little butt out of there and told them never again and all her friends never again!
I have been officially banned from Dick's several years ago! I don't do business with some one that demands to see AND scan my ID for any purchase other then booze and Tobacco, AND no one is ever allowed to andle my ID or to scan it, and if they try, they get the coppers called on them store policy or not:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, Rant over, back to our regularly scheduled programming:D
I preferred to support Dragonman's out there in the Springs

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews