JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you scroll down, you will find a interesting 'reminder' about the use of deadly force to prevent theft.

http://www.co.washington.or.us/cgi/sonews/letter.pl?searchstring=currentidx

Frog.
It's good to get that message out, but it shouldn't be news. I know I don't live in Texas and I know that I can't and shouldn't shoot anyone over my T.V. or vehicle. I don't think I'd shoot over property anywhere unless I was on a deserted island and needed the item to survive. Wife, kid, and self though is a whole 'nother game.

I agree !

But if you catch a guy stealing your TV, do you wait for him to shoot first?

Not !!

Frog.

I've never tried it but I'm probably a bad shot with a t.v. in my arms and I would rather lose a t.v. than get ten to twenty years for being a dummy.

161.229 Use of physical force in defense of property. A person is justified in using physical force, other than deadly physical force, upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission by the other person of theft or criminal mischief of property.

What they law states incase you are to lazy to click the link. I think this means you can only wound them badly with a bat lol. But as far as I am concerned if somebody sees me with a gun and doesn't immediatly drop my stuff they then plan on hurting me to take my stuff at which time deadly force is necessary.

<I am not a lawyer>
Doesn't the ORS also say that you may use deadly force if necessary to stop a burglary (entering your home to commit a crime)?
</I am not a lawyer>

<I am not a lawyer>
Doesn't the ORS also say that you may use deadly force if necessary to stop a burglary (entering your home to commit a crime)?
</I am not a lawyer>

Yes it does, "in the commission of a felony."; a burglary is a felony. What korntera said -- you know the person stealing your property has bad plans for you because THEY ARE IN YOUR HOME AND ARE STEALING YOUR STUFF; the question becomes "to what extent are their bad plans"? Are you going to request a discussion over a cup of tea? You should make sure that you truly feel your life is in danger -- this feeling will vary from person to person and situation to situation.

You should always triple check what a person speaking with a label of law enforcement says is "the law". They aren't attorneys, and they aren't necessarily trained any better than you and I in remembering laws and understanding them.

As my retired Army friend likes to point out - assume if they are in the house w/o your permission that they are trying to kill you. If they also *happen* to be trying to take your tv, who can tell you otherwise? Dead men tell no tales.

As my retired Army friend likes to point out - assume if they are in the house w/o your permission that they are trying to kill you. If they also *happen* to be trying to take your tv, who can tell you otherwise? Dead men tell no tales.

THIS

Just don't shoot a guy with your plasma TV in his arms in the back as he's running out the door, blast someone as they try to speed off in your car, etc...

I would only use deadly force to protect my child, my wife, and myself, but also if they were trying to take a firearm. I feel it would be irresponsible to let someone steal a firearm, because they might harm someone else with it. Anything else I just dont see worth another life. Might not be the right choice, but one I could live with.

shoot him in the leg..... he'll likely stop running away, perhaps turn himself around to face you..... at which point if he doesn't submit, well, then, he's likely bent on doing more harm than stealing your telly..... at which time you will likely be compelled to assess his intent to do bodily harm..... oof course, if he surrenders and ceases, you've restrained yourself and used less than lethal force to stop him. And he'll be yet alive to face the music for his felony. Of course, it may be wise to shift house before he gets out of jail, else he must may come round to settle up his "score".

Anyone who breaks into my house has, by this very act, announced his disregard for the law. In this day and age, I am convinced that anyone breaking into my house while I'm there is a willful and immediate threat to my life.

Great point JumpWing. That is my philosophy as well. In today's day and age, no one can accurately gauge within moments if a home invader will kill them or just take an item. If someone breaks into my home, I will not give them time to grab a television,gun or knife.

It will be hard for them to hold anything with multiple holes in their person. Family first, television last.

My grand dad was a County Mounty Deputy way back in the day, and he always told us that if some one enters your home uninvited, he/she IS a threat to your life and to take any action you feel needed up to and including shooting to kill ( dead men tell no tails) He also pointed out flatly to make sure the Person you shoot is all the way inside your home, not just inside the front door looking out, or just on the front steps! A D/A will likely press charges if there is any way it might look likely the bad guy was trying to flee, or at least looked like he might have before he expired! We were also told to secure the person if possible before he expired so that he couldn't move to look like he was trying to leave! Finally, make sure there is NO amount of blood outside your home that can be matched to the dead guy!

The amazing power to rise from the dead! 2507 days! 6 years, 10 months, and 13 days since last entry!

I dont think you win anything, but congrats anyway :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top