JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are a legislator? This is a bill, not an initiative that is voted on during state elections.

I do not think we have it good. We live in an anti-gun state that bans guns based on whether or not they can do it, not because they do or do not cause crime.

Ranb
No, i am not. but i DO vote in favor of Pro gun rights politicians, which... isnt your point of how we can help?

And, facts be, we do have it Pretty good. Note the relative term. We do not live in a state than bans off of irrational fears, the few bans that are in place true are placed off a social stigma of NFA items. but are my Military style firearms banned? Are there limitations on Standard to High capacity magazines? Is concealed carry of personal defense firearms banned? Will i go to jail for defending me and my family in my own home? No.

I am not some liberal anti gun guy, and i am for removal of the pointless ban on NFA items in Washington state. But for the Average gun owner, especially in a very liberal state, we have it pretty damn good.

We need you to write letters and met with your Representatives and Senators. Waiting to vote them in or out of office in 2012 is too late for this bill. We have to work with what we have. The silencer bills have not gotten as far as they have just by voting the proper politicians into office. They go there because the Judiciary Chairman was told by his fellow Reps that the bill was important. And the Reps were told it was important by us.

Ranb

On a more constructive note, I got a response from Rep. Hargrove, and he didn't say "no".

Thanks for taking the time to write to me. You make a good point and I will consider your input as we evaluate the bill you are supporting.

All the best,
Mark Hargrove
State Representative, 47th District

Thanks again to Ranb and others who did the heavy lifting here. I just popped off a few emails - but 100% of my emails got responses. Remind your reps that we are paying attention.

OK couldn't find it on line,but there is an article about suppressors in Europe and the fact some land owners won't let you hunt without them.
Same for some So African areas
It's in one of the new magazine out right now.

I believe it is the same in New Zealand and Australia. They not only allow them, but insist on them while night hunting possums and kangaroos which are considered pests in many urban areas.

I just got a reply from one of my reps. Thank you for your email. I agree that it would be good to give gun ranges additional options for noise reduction, and I will keep your comments in mind as this bill progresses. Please keep in touch in the coming weeks. Sincerely, Representative Derek Stanford1st DistrictToll-Free: 1-800-562-6000Office: (360) 786-7928

I never understood the difference between a Noveske KX3 and those 100 gallon barrels used to redirect noise by some outdoor gun ranges? Neither effectively 'reduce' the DB level to a degree to make them illegal in WA, but more direct it towards the target. I remember a big discussion on a range being sued for noise pollution, and some d-bag in Olympia telling them that it would be illegal (paraphrase) to use something to help reduce the noise 'heard' by nearby residents.

Funny thing is,most of these gun ranges have been where they are longer than the neighborhoods complaining

Like the person who buys a house by SeaTac/PDX and then complains about airplane noise

Sue the developer or Real Estate agent

I posted in another thread about how the WA AG said it is ok to use noise abatement devices in WA. RCW 9.41.250 is a dangerous weapons statute, it does not apply to devices not attached to the gun.

Ranb

On a more constructive note, I got a response from Rep. Hargrove, and he didn't say "no".
I regret to say that this is a typical response from a politician that usually has no intention of supporting a bill. I used to get these responses all the time last year and the year before. This is the kind of neutral response that he would give to a person who was asking him to oppose the bill. I request that you write back to him and ask him what he will do to ensure the bill is passed into law.

Ranb

I never understood the difference between a Noveske KX3 and those 100 gallon barrels used to redirect noise by some outdoor gun ranges? Neither effectively 'reduce' the DB level to a degree to make them illegal in WA, but more direct it towards the target. I remember a big discussion on a range being sued for noise pollution, and some d-bag in Olympia telling them that it would be illegal (paraphrase) to use something to help reduce the noise 'heard' by nearby residents.

Well the Noveske KX3 does not have anything to do with reducing noise, it is a flash hider for short barrels. With the extra gas and unburned powder from a short barrel rifle standard FH are not very effective. Second there is not a set amount of DB reduction needed. To be considered a silencer any amount of reduction counts. The old Colt XM177 had a moderator on them to make the 11.5" guns sound like a 20" gun so not much reduction there and they are considered silencers by the ATF.

The angle everyone should be using is the very real fact that if this passes it will generate a substantial amount of tax revenue for the state, which they so desperatey need right now. These items aren't cheap, and you can bet that thousands of them will be purchased very quickly which means a revenue increase immediately. They could even add on a reasonable additional tax to supplement their greed even more. The point being is that the last bill was killed because appropriations were added to it that would have cost money to the state. If we avoid that and show that they will generate money for the state instead, it will be difficult for them not to pass it.

Bill 1604 never made it to a hearing in committee. What were the appropriations that were added to it? Bill 1604 did not have a fiscal note, so it should not have cost the state any money to implement.

Ranb

The angle everyone should be using is the very real fact that if this passes it will generate a substantial amount of tax revenue for the state, which they so desperatey need right now. These items aren't cheap, and you can bet that thousands of them will be purchased very quickly which means a revenue increase immediately.

As much as I would love to have one for each of my guns, I doubt that 'thousands' will be purchased quickly, because many people like me can't afford them.

It's the $200 NFA tax grope that causes the prices to be so high. They can't be resold as used without a new tax stamp, and with no cheaper after market, the new ones end up under little demand and so there aren't many suppliers. Most of their supply is used up in international, police, and military sales, leaving little for us poor civvies. I would really like to see the suppressor restriction removed from the NFA, but an Act of God is a lot more likely than the Act of Congress required for that :(

As much as I would love to have one for each of my guns, I doubt that 'thousands' will be purchased quickly, because many people like me can't afford them.

It's the $200 NFA tax grope that causes the prices to be so high. They can't be resold as used without a new tax stamp, and with no cheaper after market, the new ones end up under little demand and so there aren't many suppliers. Most of their supply is used up in international, police, and military sales, leaving little for us poor civvies. I would really like to see the suppressor restriction removed from the NFA, but an Act of God is a lot more likely than the Act of Congress required for that :(

I think you will be plesantly surprised. Yes, you and I will have to save our pennies to get one but to start, the Law Enforcement agencies in WA will be heavily in the market now, as well as the couple million other firearms owners in this state. The advantages are numerous...such as; ranges could require or rent them for noise abatement. You can sell them to most of the rest of the country (because they can already own them). There are two commercial suppliers/manufacturers within 6 hours of my present location...not to mention all the back yard makers in Idaho. Do a Gunbroker check for silencers and drool over the seven pages of items :)

Now, we just need to get it to pass...

OK so if I read this correctly the companion bill SB 5112 is due for hearing with Senate Judiciary committee (public) on this coming Wednesday, 1/26/11 at 1:30

You do read correctly. Do you plan on attending? The more people who show to sign in as supporters of the bill the better. You can speak to the committee if you want. There are a few people from this forum attending.

Ranb

I think you will be plesantly surprised. Yes, you and I will have to save our pennies to get one but to start, the Law Enforcement agencies in WA will be heavily in the market now, as well as the couple million other firearms owners in this state. The advantages are numerous...such as; ranges could require or rent them for noise abatement. You can sell them to most of the rest of the country (because they can already own them). There are two commercial suppliers/manufacturers within 6 hours of my present location...not to mention all the back yard makers in Idaho. Do a Gunbroker check for silencers and drool over the seven pages of items :)

Now, we just need to get it to pass...

You CAN LEGALLY OWN them in WA TOO. I have for years along with other people. In WA it is a gross misdemeanor to use them. Here is what the law says, RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top