JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Didnt see this posted on my intial search...
Washington State suppressor legalization bill is back this year, you need to contact your legislators immediately and tell them to support this bill!
What’s different this year?
Look how many Representatives sponsored the bill!

You’ve got to act now!
From the contact your legislator page, make sure to select to contact one of your 2 Representatives not the Senator. The bill has been introduced in the House first. Having said that though, make sure to select that you want your message to be cc’d to your other Representative and Senator, then you only have to send this once and hopefully this will pass the House and be moved to the Senate. Don’t think you have to write a dissertation, a simple please support this bill will do.

House bill 1016
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1016&year=2011

Contact your legislator:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

It looks as though the bill will be sent to the House for a vote and should pass. The Senate is our next target. Kline, the rest of the Judiciary committee, then the full Senate are our targets, in that order. Do not take comfort in the fact that your Senator may be a Republican.

The only two people who have actually come out and said they will not support the bill are Republicans Roach and Representative-elect Hargrove. Not even Kline came out and said he would refuse to support the bill. He said he had reservations, which is almost like saying no, but not as bad as what the other two did. Roach took the position that supporting the bill and getting it to the Senate would likely result in Kline changing the bill to our detriment. Hargrove told me he would support it, and then changed his mind, he would not tell me why.

Two of the bill sponsors are Democrats that were initially unsupportive. But after meeting with Haigh and Finn to pitch the bill, they became sponsors. A near total 180 shift in their attitudes. Representative Hargrove and Roach both need a friendly visit from one of their constituents. Who here is willing to set up a meeting with them?

Ranb

Hargrove represents my district. Oddly a few local gun shops had his campaign signs in their windows. It has me scratching my head, but he'll be getting an email shortly, along with rep Sullivan and Sen Joe Fain.

Sen. Roach is another puzzle. I've heard of her shooting at the outdoor range I belong to. Really strange. She doesn't rep. my district, but I drive past her office frequently.

Might want to remind Hargrove that silencers are firearms in the USA. Almost everywhere else they are mufflers, but here they are friggin guns. Instead of asking him to support it, ask him to explain why he will not. I was very dissappointed when he refused to explain his reversal to me.

Ranb

I kept it brief, but already got an encouraging response from his Dem. counterpart in our district.

Here's my message:

Dear Senator Fain, Representatives Sullivan and Hargrove,

I'm writing to ask you to support HB 1016 - "Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors."

It makes sense that Washington residents who legally participate in shooting sports be allowed to do so a little more quietly. Given the existing federal regulations and process to purchase one of these devices, I'm not concerned about this being abused for illicit use. I feel reducing noise pollution and preventing hearing damage are practical benefits for your constituency in the 47th district and the entire state.

Thank you for your time and your continued work in the 47th district.

Regards,

RESPONSE:

Thank you for sharing your support for this bill with me. I will keep your comments in mind if the bill comes before me for legislative action. It does appear to be a change that will benefit Washington residents who own firearms and wish to use a noise suppressor.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

-pat sullivan

I kept it brief, but already got an encouraging response from his Dem. counterpart in our district.
RESPONSE:

"Thanks, (Crosse) – we had a good hearing this morning and I am guessing that the bill will pass out of committee tomorrow. I intend to vote for it. Best, Jamie

Representative Jamie Pedersen
43rd Legislative District
Olympia Office
MOD B-102"

Perhaps strangest of all, on the way in to work, on the local NPR station this was mentioned. There was an interview with a Lakewood PD officer, who supported it. His primary case was for raiding meth labs, and avoiding excess flash and risk of detonating flammable meth stuff.

The same news bit mentioned that no one testified against it.

I was not able to look at the list of people who signed up after I did, but Pedersen said twelve people signed up with all supporting. The police officer that spoke also made a case for hearing protection and noise pollution as well as the rights of civilians to use them. I really liked what he said except he suggested that a soda bottle would be an effective suprpessor, but I had to let that pass to keep up a united front at the hearing. :)

Ranb

I would guess the soda pop bottle comment was showing anybody COULD make one if they wanted.
Like criminals?
Have you guys check how many were used in states that they were legal in.for illegal purposes?

Only checked for violations in WA. Five counties refused to answer despite being required to by law. It took me months to get the data I posted on the NFA forum.

Ranb

Only checked for violations in WA. Five counties refused to answer despite being required to by law. It took me months to get the data I posted on the NFA forum.

Ranb

So much for freedom of information, or anything for that matter these days!

Once again it is good to see you (Ranb) fighting the good fight. Keep up the good work, for without you, people like me would not know how to help.:huh:

I once had a King County Deputy, member of TAC-30 (King County's SWAT), explain the three major benefits of officers using suppressors in certain instances. One was the above mentioned reduced flash and therefore risk of detonation in a meth lab, the other was being able to train or enter a structure without the use of hearing protection, therefore they can hear each other talking and make for a safer environment. Also he gave an example of a scenario where basically explained the benefits of knowing who is doing the shooting in the next room (if that makes sense). Without suppressors, one could walk into gunfire if they do not know if it is a fellow officer or a suspect shooting if they all sound alike. Having officers use suppressors distinguishes their fire apart from unsuppressed fire, therefore they can know it is safe to enter if all they hear are quiet clacks. Take it for what it's worth.

It's great that this is going forward! I was concerned as to the timing of the hearing after the tragedy last weekend. I'd hope that our reps, regardless of party, recognize that someone who will submit to the intrusion of a LEO Sign off or Trust, a ATF Background check, and a $200 dollar stamp probably isn't going to go out and use his suppressor (or other NFA item) to commit crimes.

Having tinnitus since I was 13 - after some asshat shot off a 12G right by my ear I'd sure like to have suppressed legal guns without having to give up a kidney. Try blaring loud ringing for your whole life, never hearing silence; not even for a minute. I tell you it sucks real bad. Some people commit suicide over it. People that have tinnitus and can prove it should be able to get some sort of medical waiver.

Suppressors themselves are legal, the use of them is the illegal part.
You're sh-tting me right? What do you think we have been talking about this whole time? :)

What plans do you have for easing the restrictions on SBR/SBS? When you say WA you mean the voters like me and you right? Olympia will never get off its butt about anything unless the voters do something about it. We deserve all of the EF'ed up gun control laws we have on the books right now. Someone had to write them up and vote them in.

Ranb

You're sh-tting me right? What do you think we have been talking about this whole time? :)

What plans do you have for easing the restrictions on SBR/SBS? When you say WA you mean the voters like me and you right? Olympia will never get off its butt about anything unless the voters do something about it. We deserve all of the EF'ed up gun control laws we have on the books right now. Someone had to write them up and vote them in.

Ranb
Man as a Expatriate Seattilite i can tell you as long as everything west of the cascades are part of washington, things will not get better. For as Liberal of a state we live in, we have it damn good. Not as bad as the Peoples republic of cali, but not as good as the Northern Peoples Republic, Oregon.

Man as a Expatriate Seattilite i can tell you as long as everything west of the cascades are part of washington, things will not get better.

So you are saying you will not help? Things only get better when people act. I believe that silencers will be legal to use this year. This is an example of a thing that will get better. It got better because people got off their butts to contact and meet with legislators and other people of influence in the State to change things.

Ranb

So you are saying you will not help? Things only get better when people act. I believe that silencers will be legal to use this year. This is an example of a thing that will get better. It got better because people got off their butts to contact and meet with legislators and other people of influence in the State to change things.

Ranb
Never said that..... ill vote in favor of this in an instant.

You are a legislator? This is a bill, not an initiative that is voted on during state elections.

I do not think we have it good. We live in an anti-gun state that bans guns based on whether or not they can do it, not because they do or do not cause crime.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads