JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for my dream all-Oregon hunting rifle. Usage: 90% deer, but would like option for bigger game maybe someday.

Naturally, I'm thinking of a Kimber of Oregon with Leupold 3-9X40.

I know model 89 BGR was available in 30-06 (which would be fine), but did they ever make it in 308?

Any other options for the all-Oregon dream setup I haven't considered?

All-Oregon meaning made in Oregon? If so, here's my choice. But I don't think I'd ever actually use it.

<broken link removed>

Wow. Those are dream rifles! That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. But I think I need to save up a little more. I'm the type that would go use it just to go use it! Too bad they haven't invented the plexi-glass gun safe - it would be a shame to hide one of those from daily viewing.

if i was looking for a custom hunting rifle built to my specs,it would be from here.
Home

Wayne is a craftsman that combines fit,form and function into an accurate and light weight package.
I am a little biased since he and my FiL served together with OSP,and have had the opportunity to handle/shoot some of his work.
RK
RK

hard to beat, the winchester model 70 featherweight stainless.308 .it would suit you fine,their is tonnes of ammo out there,its cheap to reload and you can shoot just about any bullet weight.does everything the 30-06 will within 100fps.more of a personal favorite for me, but with deer in mind its ideal.as with any gun and shooting any game animal,its all about shot placement.

Kurt at H and K gunshop out in forest grove has some killer custom guns up on his wall. I think they are all on mauser actions though. If you are ever out that way, you should check it out. The guy knows his stuff and has a ton of stories.

Dittos on Cheese's attention to Kurt at H and K.

He built a .221 Fireball for me years ago on a Sako action (this was when his dad was still alive and assisting/teaching Kurt).

Some pretty guns in that shop. Innovative ideas about metal and woodwork you won't find elsewhere.

My Fireball wood is from a English Walnut tree that was grafted to a Black Walnut stump (this is common practice for the orchards around here because the Black has a more sturdy root system: the tree is therefore more durable).

The transition on this gunstock occurs precisely where a forend cap would start. So, I have a strikingly figured Black Walnut stock with a naturally installed English Walnut (almost blonde) forend cap!

This is the kind of stuff Kurt comes up with.

Dittos on Cheese's attention to Kurt at H and K.

He built a .221 Fireball for me years ago on a Sako action (this was when his dad was still alive and assisting/teaching Kurt).

Some pretty guns in that shop. Innovative ideas about metal and woodwork you won't find elsewhere.

My Fireball wood is from a English Walnut tree that was grafted to a Black Walnut stump (this is common practice for the orchards around here because the Black has a more sturdy root system: the tree is therefore more durable).

The transition on this gunstock occurs precisely where a forend cap would start. So, I have a strikingly figured Black Walnut stock with a naturally installed English Walnut (almost blonde) forend cap!

This is the kind of stuff Kurt comes up with.

Thankfully Kurt doesn't offer up AR15 clones when someone wants a work of art/hunting rifle either. I get so sick of all this " tactical " stuff. Especially as it's being passed off as a hunting rifle. Yes, I know you can pop a deer or elk with one but who would want to ? I'm not a plastic basher, I have a couple. They have their place but hunting season is for wood and steel and craftsmanship. Anybody can build...er....assemble an AR15. It's not a skill that takes years to learn. I wish more guys had been eligible or had the balls for Iraq/Afghanistan and had gotten all this pseudo machine gun stuff out of their systems or could get jobs as cops so we didn't have soooo many mall ninjas driving around in their ex-cop cars, working their security guard jobs and pining for the day when they can " move up to armed security ". Every year at SHOT all I see is MORE AR15 clones. Do we need more ? Really ? Having said that, I'd take a Mauser any day or better yet an old Savage 99 with tang sight. Shiny suit on, flame away.

if i was looking for a custom hunting rifle built to my specs,it would be from here.
Home

Wayne is a craftsman that combines fit,form and function into an accurate and light weight package.
I am a little biased since he and my FiL served together with OSP,and have had the opportunity to handle/shoot some of his work.
RK
RK

+1 on Oregunsmithing.

I have 3 custom rifles from Wayne, very excellent work. If you get with him now you might be able to hunt with your new rifle next year.... I guarantee it's worth the wait.

They don't "make" them here in Bend, just assemble from parts (mostly from Japan).

If this is the line of thought, then you would have to disqualify everyone listed in this thread with the possible exception of Noveske.

I've also seen Kurt at H&Ks work. Very beautiful guns. If you go in there, be prepared to stay for a while. Kurt loves to talk, especially about custom rifles!

AFAIK the closest you'll get to a bolt-action rifle these days that won't cost you the price of a good used car (and has no foreign-made parts) is a Ruger American Rifle. Granted, not as "pretty" as custom grafted walnut stocks, but I have one in .308 with a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 and its a MOA capable rifle bone stock out of the box (and I love the "H" out of it)...

100% American made rifle and scope, and that's alright! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top