JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a lead on a good dedicated Walleye guide. Been talking with my son who has said finding someone truly dedicated to Walleye has been impossible; his words.
Any suggestions or anyone here?

Thanks

Looking for a lead on a good dedicated Walleye guide. Been talking with my son who has said finding someone truly dedicated to Walleye has been impossible; his words.
Any suggestions or anyone here?

Thanks

I suggest registering at ifish.net and ask there. Ask on the main board, not the warm water forum. Word from earlier in the year when walleye fishing should have been good up in The gorge was that it was pretty bad. Some believe that Oregon removing the limits on bass and walleye in The Gorge/Columbia has taken a toll. Personally I don't know? I fished for them some, years back, and thought it a lot of work to not catch much. If I want to not catch much I can sit one the hook and not catch salmon much easier. Though not catching walleye is cheaper than not catching salmon because you don't need a $40.00+ tag to not catch walleye. ;)

You can't drop a cliff hanger like that...

Most of the really big walleye had been caught prior to the 90's, before the Columbia River fish were on the map. As walleye fishing became more common, the number of 10+ lb fish caught was really high vs other areas of the continent. As this got attention, national walleye tournaments started making stops on the CR. Check out this 20 pounder caught in the CR in 2014:

7EE94CCC-7FBF-4FEF-9596-80C89961244F.jpeg

I was salmon fishing one year at the upriver point of Government Island and an older guy and his daughter anchored next to me.
She was fishing for salmon and he was fishing for walleye.
He put a small red flat fish down into the 12 ounce current and unbelievably he got a nice 8 lb walleye an hour or so later.
I asked him how he knew they were in that fast current and he said that he had hooked a bigger one yesterday while fishing for salmon and he really liked eating them more then salmon.

I was salmon fishing one year at the upriver point of Government Island and an older guy and his daughter anchored next to me.
She was fishing for salmon and he was fishing for walleye.
He put a small red flat fish down into the 12 ounce current and unbelievably he got a nice 8 lb walleye an hour or so later.
I asked him how he knew they were in that fast current and he said that he had hooked a bigger one yesterday while fishing for salmon and he really liked eating them more then salmon.

I've seen that happen when we were fishing in the lines up around the mouth of the Sandy. They were always bummed out when they found out it wasn't a steelhead.

Most of the really big walleye had been caught prior to the 90's, before the Columbia River fish were on the map. As walleye fishing became more common, the number of 10+ lb fish caught was really high vs other areas of the continent. As this got attention, national walleye tournaments started making stops on the CR. Check out this 20 pounder caught in the CR in 2014:

View attachment 743360
What was that one's millirems reading level? Röntgen much?
he really liked eating them more then salmon.
Walleye, IMO, is one of the sweetest, tastiest fish I've ever had. Easy to fillet too.

What was that one's millirems reading level? Röntgen much?
Walleye, IMO, is one of the sweetest, tastiest fish I've ever had. Easy to fillet too.
I had a friend that was Walleye orgasmic, 'the best fish on the planet' according to him. That was in Wyoming.

A couple months ago another friend caught one and gave it to us, around 20" in length. We cooked it right up. Blandest fish ever. Virtually no flavor. I was surprised and disappointed. It came out of Lake Roosevelt near Grand Coulee dam (Columbia River). With more seasoning while cooking it would have been better, but the smallmouth are much better.

Anyone know why it would have been so bland? First and only Walleye I've ever eaten.

Not anymore. The biggest walleyes in North America are right here in the Columbia River system.
Would have to agree with this. When I was guiding out of Umatilla Oregon, the majority of my Walleye clients were from the midwest, trying for that 20 lb'er. They're getting much bigger fish back there now, but just look at the records from the PNW. All were caught in my old waters. I've lost touch with all my old guide friends, but I would sure look up guides from The Dalles to Umatilla in Oregon. They (Oregon/Washington) are trying to rid the Columbia of Walleye now, but thankfully most seasoned Walleye fisherman are still releasing the big ol spawners in the spring. Why they would want to destroy one of their best sources of prime fishing is beyond me. Hope you find a good guide!

View attachment 743360
This photo is of a friend of my fishing buddy who caught this pig near the mouth of the Snake River. He didn't even bother to weigh it as he just likes catching and eating them. One of the biggest fish I've seen, but this was just a couple years ago. The "normal" fishing spots have been hammered for years, but if you explore a bit and really learn Walleye fishing, there are record size fish out there to be had.

20200922_121647.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top