JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Deadeye, that is a given even in the strictly enforced Ham Bands ... in true emergencies all is forgiven .... BUT, in the days, weeks, months, or hopefully years between now and when the S decides to hit the F, these would be in routine use in non emergency scenarios.

Just pointing out, GMRS is a licensed service .... it's just a filing, you get a callsign, then you're legal and can use it and PRACTICE with it all you want..

The radios I mentioned to @MannyGlocks are pre-programmed to use frequencies allocated to FRS and GMRS. It is legal to monitor any frequency without a FCC license, and to transmit on the FRS frequencies without a FCC license. I say this out loud for simple clarity to everyone.

One should have a license from the FCC to transmit on the GMRS frequencies, including any situation involving the use of a GMRS repeater. This thread discusses that in more detail (similar to what @K7ZS mentioned above), including the online, no-test-required process to obtain a family license for GMRS.

In a true SHTF situation is the Gov. really going to be worried about someone using a radio with more than 4watts? I think they'll have other stuff to worry about that's more important than an FCC violation.
I doubt that in true emergency conditions that you will see FCC enforcement of any kind. In normal times, their response is largely compliant driven. Even then, walkie talkie issues aren't really high on their list of priorities.
Also keep in mind that in a true emergency, anyone can transmit on any band whether licensed or not.

I have them for the bikes. Way better than trying to yell over the engines with a helmet on, and handy for stuff like "Where does this trail go?". Also "Hey there's a chick with no bra on standing in the back of that truck." :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews