JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Walkie Talkies (aka two-way radios) such as these from Motorola are having a resurgence. WSJ article below.

snippet:

A family friend gave his 6-year-old twins two of the push-to-talk devices last year, for a way to talk to each other from different parts of the house.

Now that the house is also an office, school and playground, thanks to coronavirus stay-home rules, he finds walkie-talkies are also the most efficient way to keep tabs on his children and vice versa. His daughter regularly radios in to ask her dad how he's doing and to make sure he looks out the window to watch her on the monkey bars.

"Who knew that I would be using it?" said Mr. Monzo, a restructuring and insolvency partner at law firm Morris James LLP. "I am trying to juggle life and work and save businesses and save my family's health, and we are finding a new way to communicate.

"The humble walkie-talkie and other push-to-talk two-way communications, whose consumer use seemed to be going the way of the transistor radio, are getting a new life in the midst of a pandemic.

Children are using them to stay in touch without hogging the Wi-Fi bandwidth parents need for videoconferences. Co-workers are turning to walkie-talkie devices and apps to avoid having to type or dial as they work remotely. Spouses and roommates are using them to stay in touch as they work in different corners of homes.

Walkie Talkies (aka two-way radios) such as these from Motorola are having a resurgence. WSJ article below.

snippet:

A family friend gave his 6-year-old twins two of the push-to-talk devices last year, for a way to talk to each other from different parts of the house.

Now that the house is also an office, school and playground, thanks to coronavirus stay-home rules, he finds walkie-talkies are also the most efficient way to keep tabs on his children and vice versa. His daughter regularly radios in to ask her dad how he's doing and to make sure he looks out the window to watch her on the monkey bars.

"Who knew that I would be using it?" said Mr. Monzo, a restructuring and insolvency partner at law firm Morris James LLP. "I am trying to juggle life and work and save businesses and save my family's health, and we are finding a new way to communicate.

"The humble walkie-talkie and other push-to-talk two-way communications, whose consumer use seemed to be going the way of the transistor radio, are getting a new life in the midst of a pandemic.

Children are using them to stay in touch without hogging the Wi-Fi bandwidth parents need for videoconferences. Co-workers are turning to walkie-talkie devices and apps to avoid having to type or dial as they work remotely. Spouses and roommates are using them to stay in touch as they work in different corners of homes.

Well I have to say the ones now sure beat the ones we had when I was a kid :D
Is kind of neat that the kids are having some fun with them.

Walked into NAPA a while back to check out their limmited offering of CB antennas when one of the kids there asked me why would anyone want a CB when they can just use a cell phone. I busted out laughing he looked confused and I asked him to call my cell phone. He asked my number I said no you only have a couple seconds to warn me the bridge is out. CB is almost instant for anyone on the channel and in range a cell phone is useless in many situations. I drive a dump truck can you imagine the PITA it would be to have to call the front end loader operator to talk to them in a gravel pit? Or how do you quickly warn someone to not back up cause some MORON college kid just walked behind their dump truck cause they can't read signs and have walked around the safety fence to end up somewhere they shouldn't be.

Yes since the ones I had I believe was set to channel 14 on the CB radio. I had the Star Trek communication ones.

Yep me and my brother had those I think they were blue like this.
s-l1600.jpg

GMRS/FRS radios will be the commo of choice for looters if the cell network goes down. It's not likely that the scum of the earth will seek out amateur HT's and figure out how to program them in such a scenario. GMRS/FRS radios can be bought in bubble packs almost anywhere and will be worth their weight in toilet paper. Having a decent GMRS radio setup ahead of time will put you ahead of the game. Monitoring neighborhood activity and listening for suspicious chatter will be a tactical plus.

GMRS/FRS radios will be the commo of choice for looters if the cell network goes down. It's not likely that the scum of the earth will seek out amateur HT's and figure out how to program them in such a scenario. GMRS/FRS radios can be bought in bubble packs almost anywhere and will be worth their weight in toilet paper. Having a decent GMRS radio setup ahead of time will put you ahead of the game. Monitoring neighborhood activity and listening for suspicious chatter will be a tactical plus.

Interesting take...can't disagree.
Glad I have my set-up. Even got a license:s0008:

PLEASE be advised, that FRS (Family Radio Service) is license free, but NOT GMRS! There are no tests, but you must acquire a license (1 per FAMILY) to use them legally .... it's a robust service, there are now repeaters etc. and in a SHTF situation, MUCH better to have than the FRS which usually will only reach a few blocks in a residential area ....

Read All About it!

Better yet, get your General Class HAM license and be able to talk 1000's of miles on your car mobile radio!

There are no tests, but you must acquire a license (1 per FAMILY) to use them legally .... it's a robust service, there are now repeaters etc. and in a SHTF situation, MUCH better to have than the FRS which usually will only reach a few blocks in a residential area ....

Read All About it!

Better yet, get your General Class HAM license and be able to talk 1000's of miles on your car mobile radio!

In a true SHTF situation is the Gov. really going to be worried about someone using a radio with more than 4watts? I think they'll have other stuff to worry about that's more important than an FCC violation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top