JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just moved here from Massachusetts and was ready to get the concealed pistol permit and discovered the proof of 90 day residence clause. Do they verify this or is it like the driver's license 30 day clause that was summarily ignored?

I took the post as wanting to know if he could get away with ignoring the 90 waiting period. If that wasn't his intention for asking the question I apologize.

^^ Agreed. The DMV driver license application says you need to show proof of 30 days residency. However, I walked in on my third day, gave them my address, paid my money, and walked out with a fuzzy printed license with a shiny one to follow in two weeks. If the handgun license follows suit, I'd just as soon apply now than wait 90 days.

^^ Agreed. The DMV driver license application says you need to show proof of 30 days residency. However, I walked in on my third day, gave them my address, paid my money, and walked out with a fuzzy printed license with a shiny one to follow in two weeks. If the handgun license follows suit, I'd just as soon apply now than wait 90 days.
And the flip side to this is that you probably only have 60 days from the date of moving to change your drivers license and plates over to Washington ones. I don't see any point in making a person wait 30 days if their only intention is to comply with the law as quickly as possible.

If they simply didn't ask when you got your drivers license, then they overlooked the issue.

I would not count on that happening with your CHL application and personally I would just wait - if there is a hitch because you didn't wait, then you will probably be waiting a lot longer than if you simply waited 90 days in the first place.

Also, with the drivers license, they want you to convert your car plates also, and there is the tax and so on. In WA state, driving with out of state plates and a WA state drivers license will get a big fat fine on top of having to get the plates and paying the tax - so they encourage you to get the drivers license ASAP - in that case, I think the waiting period is probably more a time limit.

FWIW, I waited years before I switched my plates, but then they got it back the last year I lived there; I bought a truck in Oregon, paid over $1K in tax in WA state when I brought it to WA state, then the next year moved to Oregon.

I still strongly prefer the sales tax though - the income tax here was a bit of a shock - they take almost ten percent of my income! :eek:

Do you need to make an appointment still? I believe I called in May and I could not get in until middle of July for my application and finger printing.

Pretty sure you will need PUD,phone or any government type bills to show you have lived here for 90 days.Rent or such may work
Military "whateveryoucallthem" papers (mos?) showing that the govment sent you here works also

Here's a question....what if a person moves to a different county in the same state. Do they just renew a current CPL to the new county when it expires or do they need to inform the new county the have a CPL shortly after the move?

Brutus Out

You just renew and change the address if you want.Well you renew in the municipality that you live in.City or county.So if you go to the new city/county cpl spot,you will give them your new address
But you don't have to do anything until it expires

MarkAd and Tony617 each have valid points.
Rutilate, call your local Sheriff's Office and verify with them. Some counties allow you to walk in for an appointment and some book their appointments 6 or 8 weeks out. Maybe you can schedule your appointment in advance to coincide with the fulfillment of your 90 day residency period.

Brutus57, here in OR the licenses are issued by the county. If you move to another county, you are supposed to get a license from your new county and turn the old one in to your former county. If you've moved, I'd check with your new Sheriff's Office right away so that you have it straight from the horse's mouth.

RCW 9.41.070
(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

I bought a truck in Oregon, paid over $1K in tax in WA state when I brought it to WA state, then the next year moved to Oregon.

I still strongly prefer the sales tax though - the income tax here was a bit of a shock - they take almost ten percent of my income! :eek:
Try paying the sales/use tax on a $400,000 motorhome at almost 10% plus working in OR!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Try paying the sales/use tax on a $400,000 motorhome at almost 10% plus working in OR!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"
I love it when people brag....er.... complain about how much tax they had to pay on their $400k motorhomes
hahaha

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads