JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just scanned through this thread, hope I didn't miss anything. Silencers are indeed LEGAL in WA. There is a state AG letter (Ken Eikenberry) letter a few years back that states it is indeed legal to own them. You can also own AOW's and Destructive Devices. The thing is, it's a gross misdemeanor to "Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm". I know of some LEO that read into this as an improvised device and that registered cans are legal to use (i.e. ownership or possession equates to usage). Many of the SWAT teams hear also do train with them and you are correct there is no exemption for them to use them under WA state law. Unfortunately, if you do decide to use it, you are really rolling the dice since you can bet the current AG will want to prosecute you under RCW 9.41.250.

I just scanned through this thread, hope I didn't miss anything. Silencers are indeed LEGAL in WA. There is a state AG letter (Ken Eikenberry) letter a few years back that states it is indeed legal to own them. You can also own AOW's and Destructive Devices. The thing is, it's a gross misdemeanor to "Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm". I know of some LEO that read into this as an improvised device and that registered cans are legal to use (i.e. ownership or possession equates to usage). Many of the SWAT teams hear also do train with them and you are correct there is no exemption for them to use them under WA state law. Unfortunately, if you do decide to use it, you are really rolling the dice since you can bet the current AG will want to prosecute you under RCW 9.41.250.

FWIW I know Bellevue PD SWAT has/uses a suppressed MP5.

If so then they are breaking the law. All the more reason why this law needs to be revised as it has been proposed repeatedly over the years. Too bad that in this state all the "common sense" reasons for WHY it should be changed always seem to fall on deaf ears. :s0092: :nuts:

I wish I hadn't been in transit this morning. The AG was on Bob Rivers and was taking calls from listeners. This topic would have been very interesting to broach with him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top