JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can someone verify the actual order of consideration is solely Senator Eide's decision?

I got the impression that the consideration list was the result of decisions by the Democratic and Republican Caucuses... but also found this regarding how the Senate operates-

Rule 50.

The lieutenant governor shall be a voting member and the chair of the committee on rules. The committee on rules shall have charge of the daily second and third reading calendar of the senate and shall direct the secretary of the senate the order in which the bills shall be considered by the senate and the committee on rules shall have the authority to directly refer any bill before them to any other standing committee. Such referral shall be reported out to the senate on the next day's business.

The senate may change the order of consideration of bills on the second or third reading calendar.

The calendar, except in emergent situations, as determined by the committee on rules, shall be on the desks and in the offices of the senators each day and shall cover the bills for consideration on the next following day.​
Which doesn't really indicate who in 'the senate' can change the order of consideration...

Yes your correct. The order of consideration is made up in caucus. But the Majority Floor leader picks the bills and the order of those bills. The order of consideration can also be changed at each caucus and bills can come off and others go on. Though usually they just add another page. I called to verify this with Mr Sheehan. If anyone ever has any questions his office is very helpful, and more knowledgale than any of the people in the senators' offices.

legislative Information coordinator 360.786.7573

So maybe i'm not smoking crack.

Is this an accurate statement then?-

Right now its the republican caucus leaders that need to put 1016 on the order of consideration
After that, Senator Eide then needs to bring it up on the floor

?

Either party can push for it to be placed on the order of concideration. It's actually a democratic bill. And has fairly equal support on both sides. Senators from both parties have helped the bills move forward at some point. But yes Eide has to say this one is next. It's suppose to be in collaboration with the Minority leader though in caucus so everyone is on the same page, so when Floor is conviened they can move quickly.

Just got this email back
Thank you for your email regarding House Bill 1016 which would change restrictions on firearm noise suppressors.. I have received many emails in favor of this proposed legislation and I appreciate you sharing your priorities. I will vote in support of this bill when it arrives to the floor of the Senate. I always appreciate hearing from my neighbors in the first district.

Thank you again for your support.

Rosemary McAuliffe

I got the exact same reply when I asked her if she would push to get the bill a vote on the floor. In other words, she is saying that she will not make an effort for us unless it is already on the floor. Just about ALL of the senators and representatives tell me the same thing when I ask for support. The problem is that every time I was asking for support it wasn't for a vote on the floor, but for an effort getting the bill a hearing or for something else

What you got was a form reply from the aide. This is typical from legislators that blow smoke. They write the first sentence specific to the bill, put their "concern" in the middle, then sometimes finish with a personal line to you. Ask her for something else specific, like what she will do to get it on the floor for a vote. It can be hard to pin them down on a specific answer.

Ranb

Senator Eide is the current obstacle to bill 1016 getting a vote on the Senate floor. As the Majority Floor Leader, she is the one that decides which bills on the 2nd/3rd reading calendar get a vote on the floor.

I have been trying to make an appointment to speak to Senator Eide about bill 1016, but her aide says the Senator only has time for her constituents in District 30 (Federal Way and Lakeland area). I am in Belfair, so am not worthy of her time this week and next.

Bill 1016 is on the 2nd/3rd reading calendar. Click here; Agendas, Schedules and Calendars then click on "calendars" then on "senate floor activity report" then on "regular calendar" to see the bills that are scheduled to be voted on (possibly) by the Senate. The dates on the right are the bills that were already voted on.

There may be reasons why Eide might not allow debate on bill 1016. Maybe she plans to allow a third reading, but her aides will not reveal what her plans are. As you can see, all of the bills that got a third reading are passing so far. Some of them have less opposition than bill 1016, but three of them do not. Bill 1016 passed the House 88 to 4. Three other bills on the calendar did not do as well. HB1357 was 65/31, HB1489 was 58/39 and HB1846 was 80/16. I have contacted every Senator about HB 1016 at least once since the session began. While I did not hear back from most of them, most of those who replied did not indicate having any objections to the suppressor bill. Only two Senators (Kline and Roach) said they had reservations about silencer use, but both recommended that is be passed. None of the Senate aides I spoke to told me that they knew of any objections by their Senators to the bill. So unless Senator Eide has any personal objection to the bill or someone is pressuring her to make it die, she should allow it a vote on the Senate floor.

Someone from District 30 needs to contact her office at (360) 786-7658 and request an appointment to speak to her on the phone or in person. Be familiar with the bill and why it is important that it passes. Stress that it has died (as bill 1604) in the last several sessions, passed with very little opposition in the House, will benefit shooters and home owners near rifle ranges, will not cause crime and will eliminate a victimless crime from the Washington statutes.

If anyone is able to score some time with her, please let us now. I am available anytime at (360) 440-5889 if you want to discuss the bill prior to speaking to Senator Eide.

Ranb

I am in Lakewood Ranb. although I am on the border and my house is in 29th. :( I have tried to talk to her as well. I am not convinced that she is against this bill and not giving it a chance. It has moved as swiftly as any other bill, they have not made a ton of progress on bills. I am not going to freak out until around the first of the month. I am going to give them a few more sessions to make a move. From what I can tell everyone thinks this is going to happen. It's just a matter of taking care of bills that appeal to and have a larger following first.

I guess the main thing I don't understand is that bills like this that have almost zero opposition and can be passed in 2 minutes. Why not just do them and get them out of the way. Make it look like they are making more progress.

And why do they need to recognize people everytime they are visiting? I mean shouldn't they be witnessing the legislative process and not holding it up? The part of us people being a part of legislation should be us picking our representative figures and lobbying those people to get what we want them to do, done... Not having our presence hold up the legislative progress.

I have just spoken to my personal lobbyist/consultant and the pressure needs to come from Blake and Hatfield to Eide and Brown. Eide and Brown devise that calendar, but definitely get input from others. They need to be asked to do it by their peers, not by us lowly constituents. That is the best way to make this push through. Also contact ALL senators that support the bill and get them to pressure Eide and Brown. Especially the four who sponsored the Senate bill; Hatfield, Honeyford, Sheldon and Schoesler. Otherwise it may just stall out and crash. He suggested that this is probably the best and only mode of getting any results at this point. The people that drafted the legislation need to bend the ear of those holding it up at this point. I have little time as well, so if anybody can step in here that would be great. Don't lose the faith!!!

Looks like they are doing consent calendar today. They should get through those fast, and hopefully pick a new Order of consideration.
--------

Well I was hopefull. Adjourned till tomarrow. Since Eide had a bunch of school kids there today, she probably wants to take them on a tour.

I love how Eide called a Democratic caucus and said to bring the yellow book and the Republican stood up and said Republican caucus bring whatever book she said to... Secretary of the senate was laughing. That tells you something.

I've called and emailed Blake a bunch of times. The supporters of the bill are the ones I have been concentrating on. Legislation is all about persueding the one or two people you need to to get something done. And I am not sure what others have been saying or asking. But I pushed from the start saying they need to put it on the concent calendar since there was no opposition and they already heard it. Don't ask for it to move one hurdle at a time. Tell them it should be ______, and why.

I called Eides office simply saying...

"Hello my name is _______ and I live in Lakewood, I have been following Legislation closely this session in reguards to HB 1016. I am aware that it is Senator Eide who needs to make a move on HB1016 to get a vote on the floor. However she has not done this, Is HB1016 not a concern to her? I know it has a strong following and I am disapointed as a citizen of Lakewood that she has not placed it on the Order of consideration."

I was told that she has been taking alot of calls in support of 1016 the last few days and is informing the Senator that her constituants want this. And that it has been on her list of bills that she is willing to move.

I then asked if she had any sort of order and how far down the list it might be. I was informed that is type of info is not in her possession. We chated and joked, best call I have had to her office.

She never asked if I was in Eides district.

I am not freaking out yet, but we have to get the word out early. I have not been able to get firm committments from the sponsors to lean on Eide and Brown, so I am asking that district 30 residents try to speak with Eide.

Ranb

LIES!!! MISINFORMATION!!! You are really an agent of the opposition trying to get us to relax!!!!

;)

That is GREAT news!!! Can't wait to watch it tomorrow...

*crosses fingers*

Not an Agent... lol I just think I have gotten a pretty good grasp on how things happen now. You have to remember I have spent 2+ hours a day on this for a few months. Some of the senators offices know me by the sound of my voice. The legislative information desk told me after my last call a few days ago that I was really getting this down and If I ever wanted a job... jokingly.. I really do not think that the people I have been dealing with would lie to me. They know they would never hear the end of it. :)

got a voicemail while typing this from Blakes office saying... "Jason, I just wanted to inform you that 1016 is now ready to be voted on. Thanks for being so active in legislation."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top