Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA Silencer Bill 1016 Senate hearing 3/9/11.

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Ranb, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

There is a Senate Judiciary hearing for bill 1016 at the O'Brien building on Wednesday at 1:30 pm. It appears that Senate bill 5112 is not going to get out of the Rules committee, so House bill 1016 will resume its normal course out of the House (where it passed 88 to 4) and into the Senate Judiciary committee then the Rules committee.

Just as with the last two Judiciary hearings in the Senate and House weeks ago, we need to be present to show our support and speak at the hearing, especially if anyone shows up to oppose the bill.

We really need industry representatives to tell the Senate how unfair the current statute is as it does not allow FFL/SOT class 2's to test the silencers they make. Only one industry representative showed for the last two hearings; this is totally unsatisfactory. If you have the ear of any silencer manufacturers, let them know they need to be at the hearing.

Ranb

2. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update.

SF-

3. seattlewingsfan

seattlewingsfan Lakewood, Washington, United States Member

I'm confused by your statement. 5112 has been out of Rules for a while now. It was on the floor for second reading. If you watch much of the floor activity you know that things happen very fast. I realize we have been patiently waiting for the last 3-4 days for that to happen. The thing is last night at 5pm was the cut off for bills to make it out of house of origin. So the last several days they have been trying hard and skiping around the floor calendar trying to get bills that are important to the majority, out of the Senate so they can be moved to the house. The next calendar cutoff isn't till the 25th. Things should go back to a more normal rotation out of calendar untill that deadline approaches. I really think the reason SB5112 didn't make it out of the senate is because for one it was a companion bill and two HB1016 already passed the house and still has till the 25th to get through the senate. Whereas a bunch of other bills didn't have time. I think it's a pile of crap, and I was hoping they would get it done for us. But I am sure deals were made in caucus... it's politics. Just hard to sit back and watch them let a bill sit, because it's not that bills last chance.

But yes everyone should be trying to attend the meeting for HB1016. It is the last chance this legislative season! On the bright side this SHOULD make it through to the floor fast since everyone is familiar with it already. Call, Write, E-mail, Bother, Bug, what ever it takes...

I do NOT want this to carry over to Short Session!!!

4. seattlewingsfan

I called Senator Blakes office this morning to express my concern that SB5112 didn't get out of the Senate yesterday and ask if he thought his bill would have better luck being that it sailed through the house.

His office just called back and said that they are expecting this to go through the Senate very quickly. I get the impression that the reason SB5112 got through Rules and onto the floor is that we were persistant! I have been not so directly informed that once a billl makes it through one house a companion bill rarely moves since it has less progress, and only one can pass on.

Looking at the big picture I still think things are going decent. Would I have liked this to have been wraped up yesterday sure, but I am not sure that was even possible yesterday. Being 1016 hasn't even had a public hearing in committee yet, which means no substitution could have been called.

5. sigman

sigman Olympia, Wa Member

I will be there tomorrow. Who else?

6. Ranb

I will attend the hearing. I may stay after to talk about the opposition to Senator Kline.

Ranb

7. seattlewingsfan

I'm planning on going as long as I can get one customer to change their appointment time. Whatever you do DO NOT mention the NRA. Kline is very anti-NRA. That is why they haven't been involved really. Not sure if you got through and talked to the Washington rep at all, that was his explanation to be and he has been contacting senator Blake on the regular working behind scenes.

8. Ranb

I sent a few letters to the NRA just asking for advice over the years. Never a reply. It is nice that they have contacted Blake though. I will not be bringing up any other gun control topics or the NRA. I want to know more about anyone who is opposed to silencer use.

Ranb

9. mattj

mattj Snoho County New Member

10. seattlewingsfan

I couldn't get free to head down. I mainly wanted to meet some people from here. I knew it was going to be a easy day today. Not only was it easy, they used the one day exception to pass it straight out of committee, which is what I was thinking might happen. Hopefully so few bills are in rules it will be pulled right out and thrown on the floor fast.

Thanks for the people who drove down but didn't get to speak.

11. Ranb

Bill 1016 was referred out of committee with a "do pass" recommendation. Next stop is the Rules committee. Committee Members & Staff Call and write them often. Start with with Democrats as they have the most influance over which bills to pull. Brown is a good one to call. Shoesler was a bill 5112 sponsor, so he is a good one to bother also.

The bill 1016 part of the hearing was "underwhelming" to say the least. As 1016 is a duplicate of the dead 5112 bill, the committee did not want to hear much about it.

Ranb

12. seattlewingsfan

My guess is Senator Carroll pulls this quick. He did it for 5112. And I'm pretty sure his was the voice that was pushing for a executive action today.

13. Ranb

I think it was.

Ranb

14. sigman

sigman Olympia, Wa Member

He was the one.

Nice to meet you Randy. I am hknut on TFL.

15. seattlewingsfan

Majority report has been logged and passed to Rules. It will be available next meeting for Pulling. Has anyone heard a clue as to when they might be meeting. I believe they will place it on the consent calendar since they already passed it once. One can only hope. :)

16. seattlewingsfan

I called today to thank Senator Carroll for making the push to have an executive action taken. I was told that it's definatly a bill he wants to pull. At this point there is a total of 4 bills out of committee and in Rules. I've been following it because they probably won't have a rules meeting until there is enough bills to put together a floor calendar. Otherwise there time is best used on their other committees.

17. Ranb

I called and wrote to each Senator on the Rules Committee today. It was like listening to a broken record. The Republican's aides said "talk to the Democrats". The Democrat's aides said they did not know then the next hearing was, would not commit to pulling the bill but would forward my request that the bill be pulled to their Senator.

Wait and see I guess. If there is no action, then I will repeat next week.

Ranb

18. seattlewingsfan

They should meet soon. There are 59 bills in rules as of this morning. That gives them plenty to pick from.

19. Ranb

Where are you geting that list of bills in the Rules committee? Thanks.

Ranb

20. seattlewingsfan

You can view bills that are in and out of each committee on the web site. Just make sure you only count the ones that are listed as house bills or Subs. SHB. The senate bills listed as out of committe don't matter now obviously, because of cutoff. But they are not dead officially yet, and therefor show up till sessions close and all the bills are sent back to the originating house for the next year.

Bills In and Out of Committee