JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm about to buy my first firearm off of GB and am curious as to how the transfer works. FFL charges their transfer fee but how do they figure the taxable amount? On your honor to correctly report how much was paid or do they require a bill of sale? Hoping to find someone local that can do it for $20-25 and maybe believe me when I say the firearm was gifted to me ;)

So I'm about to buy my first firearm off of GB and am curious as to how the transfer works. FFL charges their transfer fee but how do they figure the taxable amount? On your honor to correctly report how much was paid or do they require a bill of sale? Hoping to find someone local that can do it for $20-25 and maybe believe me when I say the firearm was gifted to me ;)

I doubt you will find a FFL that will do that. The best way is to forget WA and have it sent to OR unless it is a pistol. Good luck.

I think the new guy in Woodland charges $20 for a xfer. I would not pay anymore than that..........

I doubt you will find a FFL that will do that. The best way is to forget WA and have it sent to OR unless it is a pistol. Good luck.

I think the new guy in Woodland charges $20 for a xfer. I would not pay anymore than that..........

Who is the "new guy" in woodland? Thanks

In answer to the original question. every FFL I have dealt with (regular shops and kitchen table) in WA has needed to see an invoice from the GB seller, and they have to tax the sales price and the shipping.

I received a gun that I purchased from a private person through gunbroker. My FFl (she is a good straight shooter type gal) I told her how much I paid, and she said If there is no receipt, they have a book they have to use. She used the number frim this book, instead of what I said it cost, even though the number was a bit less than what I paid.

I guess that is what happens when she (it was a used gun) graded the gun lower than I did. Worked for me, as I bought it as a shooter not a collectors item anyway.

You gotta think about gas money too. Just to save $10-20 and drive down to OR could end up more.

Also purchase can be delayed and you end up travel more than ones.

Good luck!!

Doesn't mean it is right.

Doesn't really matter, it's the law. And WA FFL's are supposed to have been doing this for years. It's just that most FFL's have been ignoring it. Talk to Mike who used to own Brightwater in Vancouver. Several years ago his books were audited and he had to pay the taxes owed out of his pocket. He did get some back after people found out and voluntarily paid him.
WA state law requires payment of either sales tax or use tax on almost anything brought into the state.

what has 'right' got to do with taxation? they'd tax the air we breathe if they could figure out how.I have never bought a gun online because the shippping/fees/taxes always make it a bad deal.imho,ymmv,etc

The 9% that you speak of is sales tax. FLLs were supposed to have been charging for a "use tax". That rate is 6.5% of the price, shipping, insurance, etc.

Local Sales and Use Tax

I agree, it is another bogus tax in WA!

The "use" tax is sales tax. It is sales tax on a retail transaction that did not happen in the state so they have no way to collect it.

They are not two different taxes. They are the same tax with different names. It is the same tax I pay when I purchase something for resale, I do not pay sales tax, I collect sales tax on the final retail sale and submit that to the state. They cannot collect "sales" tax for a retail "sale" that did not occure in the state, so they call it a "use" tax. Been around for businesses forever.

However, if one of those items that was purchased on a wholesale business license, is kept and used by the sales tax exept entity, then the entity would have to pay "use" tax on the item, even though it was never a retail sale.

The "use" tax rate is the same as the sales tax rate where you are. You want a lower tax rate, go to a county with lower sales tax and complete your transaction. That is, never purchase anything in Seattle or King county. OR, purchase FTF.

Is there a special tax rate for FFL or the standard .09#%?

It is the sales tax rate where you do the transfer.

When I bought my last ATV I bough it in OR. When I registered it (ride it where I need tabs) it is based on my address, rate 7.6%. Had I bought locally I would have ended up paying 8.2% in Yakima, or 8.7% in Spokane Valley. Right there is a big difference. On top of that the price of my machine was over $1000 less in OR then the other shops I looked at.

I have to plead ignorance. I did not realize that "sales" and "use" were the same thing. I was under the impression that the "use" reate was the same as the state-rate (6.5%) and the added tax (for location) could not be added because the item wasn't sold in WA, and the addition location taxes couldn't be added. Only the state-rate could/would/should be charged because that is the state-rate.

Again, I do apologize for passing along misinformation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top