JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I understand what I just watched on the floor debate, and after checking my bill tracking list on the Legislature website, this bill might be dead: "Rules Committee relieved of further consideration" It appears to have died in the Rules Committee.

I saw that earlier and wasn't sure what that meant u how it died.

If I understand what I just watched on the floor debate, and after checking my bill tracking list on the Legislature website, this bill might be dead: "Rules Committee relieved of further consideration" It appears to have died in the Rules Committee.

I'm not 100% sure about that. The Seattle Times posted late today that they are still hoping to get it passed by Wednesday but its very close.

<broken link removed>

Keep the pressure on!

LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE: 1-800-562-6000

Background check bill bogged down by backlash

Developments over the weekend ramped up opposition to House Bill 1588, the controversial “universal background check” measure in Olympia, and efforts to pass the measure through the House of Representatives bogged down even after – or perhaps because – Gov. Jay Inslee visited the House chamber to twist some arms.

<broken link removed>

LEGISLATIVE HOTLINE: 1-800-562-6000

Background check bill bogged down by backlash

Developments over the weekend ramped up opposition to House Bill 1588, the controversial "universal background check" measure in Olympia, and efforts to pass the measure through the House of Representatives bogged down even after &#8211; or perhaps because &#8211; Gov. Jay Inslee visited the House chamber to twist some arms.

<broken link removed>

Thank you Dave that is a nice write up. I'm proud to say that I have been emailing my reps almost every day on this and calling every few days and was finally able to have a conversation with one of my reps assistants yesterday. They initially planned on voting for it but after my long conversation I hope they opened their eyes to the flaws. The assistant seemed to understand and was empathetic and admitted they hadn't considered a some of what I brought up. Mostly the fee, the fact that private sales will actually be killed and privacy concerns. I think the whole privacy issue and possibly identity theft from sellers being able to retain all the buyers info really struck a chord so I'm hopeful the rep will be as receptive. I plan on calling my other two today and see if I can get through and also send a follow up email to the reps assistant I spoke to yesterday. Don't let up people

Good points Kable. Looks like we are in the final stretch!

Finally, a victory for 'common sense' gun laws. LOL.

<broken link removed>

Good points Kable. Looks like we are in the final stretch!

Finally, a victory for 'common sense' gun laws. LOL.

<broken link removed>

Actually 8ball....you have that wrong.
This isn't the 'final stretch.' It may be only the end of Round 1.

Remember what I wrote &#8212; if you read my column, that is &#8212; the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility, the anti-gun Seattle crowd bankrolled by Hanauer, is planning on running an initiative. That would be the main event and it could get ugly.

And...gunnies wouldn't have any say on how that initiative is written or what would be required.

Actually 8ball....you have that wrong.
This isn't the 'final stretch.' It may be only the end of Round 1.

Remember what I wrote — if you read my column, that is — the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility, the anti-gun Seattle crowd bankrolled by Hanauer, is planning on running an initiative. That would be the main event and it could get ugly.

You are right of course, Dave. We may have won this battle, but not the war....

You are right of course, Dave. We may have won this battle, but not the war....

OH, MAN...THE MASTER OF UNDERSTATEMENT.....

And in the "other Washington..."

Senate Judiciary passes background check bill, ignoring Grassley warning

While lawmakers in Olympia wrestle with a state universal background check measure, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee today adopted on a 10-8 party line vote a similar measure that faces an uncertain future before the entire Senate.

<broken link removed>

So the House Democrats have been in Caucus for almost two full days making amendments to S-HB 1588 like they are madmen. As of 7:30 PM PST today (The 12th) here is how the supplimental bill appears now after said re-writes.

There was also an amendment somewhere about this not applying to any sale to an member of active duty or any veteran that has been honorably discharged but I don't have hardcopy to verify that.

1588-S AMH PEDE H2054.1
SHB 1588 - H AMD 282
By Representative Pedersen
Strike everything after the enacting clause and insert the
following:
"NEW SECTION.
Sec. 1. The legislature finds that there is broad consensus that certain people, such as felons, minors, and involuntarily committed persons, should not be eligible to possess firearms for public safety reasons. Background checks are an effective and easy mechanism to ensure that firearms are not sold to those who are prohibited from possessing them. However, because background check requirements apply only to transfers by licensed firearms dealers, many firearms are currently sold without a background check, allowing felons and other ineligible persons to gain access to them. The legislature intends by this act to strengthen our background check system by broadening the requirement for a background check to apply to all firearms sales in the state.

Sec. 2. RCW 9.41.080 and 1994 sp.s. c 7 s 409 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) No person may deliver a firearm to any person whom he or she has reasonable cause to believe is ineligible under ((RCW 9.41.040)) state or federal law to possess a firearm. Any person violating this ((section)) subsection is guilty of a class C felony, punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
(2)(a) No unlicensed person may sell a firearm to another unlicensed person unless:
(i) The purchaser produces a valid concealed pistol license issued under RCW 9.41.070;
(ii) the purchaser produces a valid background check certificate issued under subsection (3) of this section;
(iii) the purchaser produces a valid Washington law enforcement officer commission card or credentials indicating the person is an active full-time commissioned Washington law enforcement officer; or (iv) the transaction is conducted through a dealer.​
(b) If the purchaser produces a valid concealed pistol license issued under RCW 9.41.070, a valid background check certificate issued under subsection (3) of this section, or a valid Washington law enforcement officer commission card or credentials, the seller shall retain a copy of the concealed pistol license, background check certificate, or law enforcement officer commission card or credentials as proof of compliance with the requirements of this subsection (2).
(c) If the seller and purchaser conduct the firearm sale through a dealer, shall comply with all requirements under federal law as if transferring the firearm from the dealer's own inventory, but is not required to comply with any of the requirements of RCW 9.41.090 or 9.41.110(9) relating to the transfer of firearms by dealers.
(d) An unlicensed person who sells a firearm to another unlicensed person in violation of this subsection (2) is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
(e) For the purposes of this subsection (2), "unlicensed person" means any person who is not licensed as a dealer under this chapter or federally licensed as a collector under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(b).
(f) This subsection (2) does not apply to:
(i) The sale of an antique firearm; or
(ii) the sale or transfer of a rifle or shotgun; (There is another ii amendment, below)
(ii) the sale or transfer of a firearm to a person related to the seller by blood, marriage, or adoption; or
(iii) the gift or loan of a firearm.

This subsection (2) does not apply to the purchase, sale, or other transfer of a firearm at a firearms show or event that is sponsored by a nonprofit organization if:
(i) Only members of the nonprofit organization are authorized to buy, sell, or transfer firearms at the firearms show or event; and
(ii) the nonprofit organization requires all members, as a condition of membership, to undergo a background check at least once every two years, or provide proof of a prior background check through production of a valid background check, background check certificate, valid concealed pistol license, dealer license, federal collector's license, law enforcement credentials, or other state-issued firearms license or permit.​

(3)(a) A person may obtain a background check certificate from any local law enforcement agency in the state. An application for a background check certificate must include the applicant's full name, residential address, and date and place of birth. The agency must accept an application at any time it is submitted during hours the agency is open to the general public and shall conduct the background check at the time or on the same day the application is submitted. At the time of application, the local law enforcement agency shall verify the applicant's identity by examining the applicant's driver's license or identification card, or other picture identification.
(b) The local law enforcement agency shall issue a background check certificate to the applicant if:
(i) The local law enforcement agency has conducted a background check of the applicant through the national instant criminal background check system, and the results of the background check do not indicate that the applicant is ineligible to possess a firearm under state or federal law; or
(ii) If the local law enforcement agency is not authorized by federal law to conduct a check through the national instant criminal background check system, the local law enforcement agency has conducted a background check of the applicant through the Washington state patrol electronic database and the department of licensing, and the results of the background check do not indicate that the purchaser is ineligible to possess a firearm under state or federal law; or
(iii) Three business days have elapsed since the local law enforcement agency initiated the background check under this subsection​
(3)(b) and the local law enforcement agency has not been notified that possession of a firearm by the applicant would violate state or federal law.
(c) If the local law enforcement agency denies the background check certificate because the background check indicates that the applicant is ineligible to possess a firearm under state or federal law, the local law enforcement agency shall indicate on the application the national instant criminal background check system transaction number, or in the case of a state background check, indicate on the application the reason for the denial.
(d) A background check certificate is valid for thirty days from the date the certificate is issued by the local law enforcement agency.
(e) The local law enforcement agency may charge a fee of up to twenty dollars for issuing a background check certificate. The local law enforcement agency shall not retain any records of applications or background check certificates issued under this section.
(f) The Washington association of sheriffs and police chiefs shall develop a standard background check certificate for use by local law enforcement agencies.
(4) Nothing in this section authorizes any law enforcement agency or state agency or entity to retain records or maintain a registry, list, or database of background check certificates or firearms sales under this section.

Ding dong, the bill is dead.

Edit: it's almost a shame, really. A crushing defeat in a referendum might have taught them a lesson they'd remember.
Then again, I-676 didn't seem to teach them anything...

In case this hasn't been posted yet (just saw it, published tonight):
[h=2]Seattle Times: Bill to require background checks for all gun sales appears dead in state House [/h]

This is awesome, I noticed they had tons of amendments to the bill and it was hard to tell which ones were actually applied. I think it's funny that the referendum clause caused loss of support lol.

However I'll hold my celebrations until after the deadline tomorrow, you never know what could happen and for good measure we should all call and email our reps tomorrow and ensure it remains dead

Really is great news Kable. I will blast them all tomorrow as well.

Now... What do we do about Hope...

I say we let him know we are not going to forget this.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Excellent news! Thanks to everyone who called and emailed.

Anyone know what bill this is?

The House did manage to approve measures to create a nonpublic registry of firearm offenders and to require people with restraining orders against them to surrender their guns, among other public-safety bills.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top