Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

[WA]Anyone recently bought a pistol (w/o CPL)? How long have you waited/been waiting?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by DieMonkeys, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DieMonkeys

DieMonkeys DuPont, WA New Member

I went to go buy a pistol a couple of weeks ago, filled out the paperwork and have been waiting. In that time period I've gone and applied for my CPL. I've been hoping to get the gun before a weekend so I can take it apart and give it a good cleaning before I go to the range.

Did I perhaps choose the wrong store (Wholesale Sports) to shop from? Has it always taken this long or is the huge influx of buyers doubling, perhaps tripling the time it used to take?

Everything I've found via google has said it never took more than five days, but most of those answers were from over a year ago.

Somebody please ease my troubled mind.

2. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Die Monkeys? nwaohx.jpg

3. DieMonkeys

Puddle Monkey? ;)

I've been using the same nickname for 15 years, came up with it when I was much younger and stuck with it.

4. Edmon

Edmon Battle Ground Member

My wife has had her WA cpl for over a year. Went to Wholesale Sports to buy a pistol. They ran her cpl and for some reason they said NICS put a hold on the purchase. State law said there will be a 5 day wait period. Wholesale sports tells me their policy is they have to wait for NICS to approve before they will complete the purchase. It has been 2 weeks and still waiting. Doesn't seem right to me. I would cancel the purchase but was able to purchase hard to find pistol at a good price.

Washington State Dept. of Licensing
    Firearms purchase/delivery requirements
    Handgun purchase without CPL 5-days, or upon approval of the law enforcement agency
    Handgun purchase with CPL Upon notification of approval from NICS center

5. Mezzovex

Mezzovex Sherwood Active Member

I have heard that it takes quite a while.. The last gun I bought it took about 2 minutes. I would go back to the store and see if something was misspelled, or was put into the compy wrong.

6. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

It's been pretty messed up with the WA system.

Clark Co Sheriff went through 3 fax machines (all brand new).

The background checks were burning up the faxes.

For a while, I had to drive every pistol transfer form down to the sheriff, and drive down to pick them up after approval...

7. 223to45

223to45 Whatcom Active Member

My brother just bought one without a CPL , only 3 days. Technically it was 5 , but the law doesn't count weekends. So from what I can tell the shop screwed up.

8. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

the system is swamped... without CPL, NICS is done by WA state and that can take weeks to a month these days

with CPL, NICS is done by store... if NICS says delayed, the store may at their discretion release after a certain number of days... however most big box stores will NOT... no incentive to do so...

imagine they released your delayed NICS firearm and for some reason it comes back DENIED... it causes them a lot of paperwork grief that is not worth it for them...

don't blame the store... it's not their fault...

btw... there is not WA state waiting period if you have a CPL... that is only for non-cpl purchases...

9. DieMonkeys

I know. I applied for my cpl (and lucky me, it transfers back to my home states) a week ago. I doubt it will happen, but if my cpl comes in first I'll head to the store and maybe pick up a glock instead of the Taurus 809 compact I have on hold, considering I'll have had more money put away by then.

10. chrisk86

chrisk86 Spokane Member

I recently bought a glock don't have a cpl and I got my paper work cleared an picked the pistol up in less than a week!!

11. DieMonkeys

I just found out that there's only one officer working in the police department where my background check got sent. :(