JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to go buy a pistol a couple of weeks ago, filled out the paperwork and have been waiting. In that time period I've gone and applied for my CPL. I've been hoping to get the gun before a weekend so I can take it apart and give it a good cleaning before I go to the range.

Did I perhaps choose the wrong store (Wholesale Sports) to shop from? Has it always taken this long or is the huge influx of buyers doubling, perhaps tripling the time it used to take?

Everything I've found via google has said it never took more than five days, but most of those answers were from over a year ago.

Somebody please ease my troubled mind.

Die Monkeys? nwaohx.jpg

My wife has had her WA cpl for over a year. Went to Wholesale Sports to buy a pistol. They ran her cpl and for some reason they said NICS put a hold on the purchase. State law said there will be a 5 day wait period. Wholesale sports tells me their policy is they have to wait for NICS to approve before they will complete the purchase. It has been 2 weeks and still waiting. Doesn't seem right to me. I would cancel the purchase but was able to purchase hard to find pistol at a good price.

Washington State Dept. of Licensing
Firearms purchase/delivery requirements
Handgun purchase without CPL 5-days, or upon approval of the law enforcement agency
Handgun purchase with CPL Upon notification of approval from NICS center

I have heard that it takes quite a while.. The last gun I bought it took about 2 minutes. I would go back to the store and see if something was misspelled, or was put into the compy wrong.

It's been pretty messed up with the WA system.

Clark Co Sheriff went through 3 fax machines (all brand new).

The background checks were burning up the faxes.

For a while, I had to drive every pistol transfer form down to the sheriff, and drive down to pick them up after approval...

My brother just bought one without a CPL , only 3 days. Technically it was 5 , but the law doesn't count weekends. So from what I can tell the shop screwed up.

the system is swamped... without CPL, NICS is done by WA state and that can take weeks to a month these days

with CPL, NICS is done by store... if NICS says delayed, the store may at their discretion release after a certain number of days... however most big box stores will NOT... no incentive to do so...

imagine they released your delayed NICS firearm and for some reason it comes back DENIED... it causes them a lot of paperwork grief that is not worth it for them...

don't blame the store... it's not their fault...

btw... there is not WA state waiting period if you have a CPL... that is only for non-cpl purchases...

btw... there is not WA state waiting period if you have a CPL... that is only for non-cpl purchases...

I know. I applied for my cpl (and lucky me, it transfers back to my home states) a week ago. I doubt it will happen, but if my cpl comes in first I'll head to the store and maybe pick up a glock instead of the Taurus 809 compact I have on hold, considering I'll have had more money put away by then.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top