JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm interested in buying this scope, this would be for a hunting rifle....

Ive never had a scope that didn't have a capped turret, so I'm wondering how durable and waterproof they are?

vtx_rfl_vhs-lr_4-16x50_moa_fr_w_1.jpg

I've had more than one scope without capped turrets including a Vortex. No issues. Just be aware that the turret is open and can be bumped or worse turned and knock you out of zero. Although it would almost have to be deliberate. I run uncapped turrets with confidence. :)

Just be aware that the turret is open and can be bumped or worse turned and knock you out of zero.

yeah, thats the part I'm having a hard time coming to grips with.... I don't want to 'baby' the scope necessarily. Once the scope is zeroed... can the turret be set to zero, so that if its turned its easy to recognize and move back into position? Does 'playing' with the turret position like that truly go back exactly to where you had it?

yeah, thats the part I'm having a hard time coming to grips with.... I don't want to 'baby' the scope necessarily. Once the scope is zeroed... can the turret be set to zero, so that if its turned its easy to recognize and move back into position? Does 'playing' with the turret position like that truly go back exactly to where you had it?

I don't know that particular Vortex model, but yes some of them have a zero stop feature.

Edit: Per the user manual it does indeed have the CRS feature. Vortex uses brass shims to allow for a zero stop location on the turret. It works fairly well.

I don't know that particular Vortex model, but yes some of them have a zero stop feature.

Edit: Per the user manual it does indeed have the CRS feature. Vortex uses brass shims to allow for a zero stop location on the turret. It works fairly well.

ah... good tip, I will check out the user manual when I get home from errands today. I might also stop by Sportsmans to check out some of these types of turrets to get a better idea too. I also want to check out how wide the field of view is at 4x, since I also hunt in the coast range.

ah... good tip, I will check out the user manual when I get home from errands today. I might also stop by Sportsmans to check out some of these types of turrets to get a better idea too. I also want to check out how wide the field of view is at 4x, since I also hunt in the coast range.

Sight it in at 150 yards and holdover as needed? I don't figure too many will be adjusting their elevation "on the fly" hunting in the PNW?

I have a HS LR model in 6-24x50 with the XLR reticle. It has zero stop. You must insert the shims after zero to utilize the zero stop, but once set it won't go any further down, it only dials up. The windage turret on mine is capped as I never mess with it as the reticle has all the built in holds I ever really need. Most of the time I don't even dial up for distance shots as the reticle has good holds built in.

As for non capped turrets, in theory the turret is captive under the top aluminum dial which is secured to the turret under it via three hex screws. The captive turret under the aluminum top dial is also where you secure the shims for the zero stop.

I've shot mine in full on torrential downpour and no water stood a chance at entering the scope via the top turret.

Here is a picture of the actual captive turret that the aluminum body goes onto, note the zero stop shims.

1564169027624.jpeg

I have a HS LR model in 6-24x50 with the XLR reticle. It has zero stop. You must insert the shims after zero to utilize the zero stop, but once set it won't go any further down, it only dials up. The windage turret on mine is capped as I never mess with it as the reticle has all the built in holds I ever really need. Most of the time I don't even dial up for distance shots as the reticle has good holds built in.

As for non capped turrets, in theory the turret is captive under the top aluminum dial which is secured to the turret under it via three hex screws. The captive turret under the aluminum top dial is also where you secure the shims for the zero stop.

I've shot mine in full on torrential downpour and no water stood a chance at entering the scope via the top turret.

Here is a picture of the actual captive turret that the aluminum body goes onto, note the zero stop shims.

View attachment 603636

Good picture. Shows properly staggering the shims. My experience has been that it is possible to dial past the zero but not very far. Of course just dialing back to the actual zero makes this a non-issue.

I do prefer Leupolds zero stop technology but Vortex's works well too.

Good picture. Shows properly staggering the shims. My experience has been that it is possible to dial past the zero but not very far. Of course just dialing back to the actual zero makes this a non-issue.

I do prefer Leupolds zero stop technology but Vortex's works well too.
Ya, technically I could get one click down as the shims are not a perfect means to stop rotation, I need to try sanding one thinner to get it to perfectly stop at my zero, just haven't got around to it yet. I got a second Vortex I still need to install the shims on.

I'm interested in buying this scope, this would be for a hunting rifle....

Ive never had a scope that didn't have a capped turret, so I'm wondering how durable and waterproof they are?

View attachment 603629
Don't forget that Vortex has a lifetime, no questions, transferrable warranty. They will replace, repair, or upgrade for any reason other than deliberate abuse. I upgraded from a Crossfire to a Viper for $150.

"OUR VIP WARRANTY IS ABOUT YOU, NOT US.
VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex® product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods and monoculars.

• UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
  • FULLY TRANSFERABLE
  • NO RECEIPT NEEDED
The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

Ya, technically I could get one click down as the shims are not a perfect means to stop rotation, I need to try sanding one thinner to get it to perfectly stop at my zero, just haven't got around to it yet. I got a second Vortex I still need to install the shims on.

My last one would let me click past 0 about .4 mils. No big deal but I prefer Leupold's zero stop that flat out stops on zero. :)

Sight it in at 150 yards and holdover as needed? I don't figure too many will be adjusting their elevation "on the fly" hunting in the PNW?

I zero at 100, my current scope subtensions work pretty good for not being calibrated to my caliber but the 2nd one is on at 200 and the 3rd is a few inches high at 300... all of course give or take my ametur shooting ability.
I dont adjust in the field, have never had the time...

View attachment 603636

this is good info, thank you.
Ive never seen this so its good to know there is a way to set zero... should the turret get bumped it only goes one way and is simple moved back till it hits the stops?

I just had a thought.... I notice in this scope the windage turret is capped... so is the idea of leaving the elevation turret open for easy access to adjust elevation for long range shots in the field (i.e.: hunting)?

The particular scope Im looking at is on sale at Midway for a great price, it however doesnt have the subtension tick mark reticle my current scope has. Is this by design to use a simpler reticle on an adjustable elevation dial?

this is good info, thank you.
Ive never seen this so its good to know there is a way to set zero... should the turret get bumped it only goes one way and is simple moved back till it hits the stops?

Correct. If bumped off zero, just twist back till it stops.

I've used this scope hunting yotes, never touched the dial.

I have the HS-T and a range of other capped and uncapped turrets.

The ones with a zero stop are great, if they are bumped easily set back. The ones without are capped and protected.

I have no issues either way.

so I found a solution.... I'm going to pass on this sale. I went to Sportsmans and looked at the actual scope and the field of view at 4x is way too small to hunt with at close distances. This is the primary reason I'm interested in a new scope... I love my current scope but the field of view is pretty small.

The $900 Vortex I looked at was da bomb, holy cow... I might just have to start saving for that. Very nice field of view for a 4x16...

Here is the deal I was looking at, its honestly a good deal actually but I already have a better equivalent with the same field of view.

That's a smoking deal.

I have a couple scope with open turrets and you do have to be careful not to bump them but a decent scope cover while hiking may solve that.

I have a 6x and and 6.5x that are too much for PNW hunting, 4x probably isn't as bad, but I always revert back to my 2.5-10x for hunting.

Them woods is thick around here! Especially when the low light comes in

@clearconscience it is a smokin deal I was so tempted. I hunt both eastern Oregon open country and coast range depending on the tags we draw and mostly use the same elk rifle. Mine has a 6x20 vortex on it but its too much for the average close in shot especially in the coast range. Im just glad I had a chance to look thru one before buying online, the field of view at the lowest setting is about the same as mine. I was kinda surprised...
The field of view is too small IMO, but thats a great price and a great scope to get into.

Would love to know what makes the field of view larger on scopes if anyone knows...?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top