JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been a proponent of the A5 system for quite a while now and I know I've swayed a few others in that direction. I can honestly say I won't build a personal carbine without one. Here is an interview with Nick Wantland, head of marketing and sales at VLTOR Definitely worth a read.

Vltor A5 buffer system

There is also a link to an interview with Mike Mihalski, owner of Sons of Liberty Gun Works, also worth reading.

I've been a proponent of the A5 system for quite a while now and I know I've swayed a few others in that direction. I can honestly say I won't build a personal carbine without one. Here is an interview with Nick Wantland, head of marketing and sales at VLTOR Definitely worth a read.

Vltor A5 buffer system

There is also a link to an interview with Mike Mihalski, owner of Sons of Liberty Gun Works, also worth reading.

Well crap. Guess my next build is a 14.5 pinned middy with FSB and A5. I always ignored it because I had not seen the statement about less overall compression on the spring being a determing factor.

Although this can also be accomplished with the tubbs flatwire spring.

I also like the uncoupled buffer weight.

Really I don't believe it makes as big of a difference as people say compared to an H2 with flatwire, but all the people who know a lot and run their gun a lot say it does, so worth a shot at least.

Well crap. Guess my next build is a 14.5 pinned middy with FSB and A5. I always ignored it because I had not seen the statement about less overall compression on the spring being a determing factor.

Although this can also be accomplished with the tubbs flatwire spring.

I also like the uncoupled buffer weight.

Really I don't believe it makes as big of a difference as people say compared to an H2 with flatwire, but all the people who know a lot and run their gun a lot say it does, so worth a shot at least.

Combining an A5 buffer system with a mid-length gas system and a properly port barrel makes for an amazing smooth running carbine. Compared to an M4, I firmly believe it is also a major factor in extending component live span for people that do a lot of shooting.

@Cerberus Group built a 14.5 LW middy after shooting the 16" LW I've been working on, I'm pretty sure he is convinced it is a step up from a standard carbine system. I look forward to checking it out next time I"m up there.

I was able to shoot tits' and another student's rifles with the A5 buffer system last year, and run some drills as well...and noticed an immediate difference from my 14.5 mid, with a H buffer and standard spring.

I had a build in progress, so added the A5...and have about 1,500 rounds through it. It is one of the most flat recoiling rifles I've shot...

I also upgraded the other one mentioned above to a H2 buffer and Sprinco "blue" spring. They are a lot closer in performance, but there's still a positive difference.

I've also seen the premature unlocking mentioned in the article, which puts wear on the bolt lugs, and if a cheaper made bolt is used...extreme wear.

The A5 system is as stated in the article...it is one of the best upgrades one can do...and I'm not into gimmicky crap.

The last two days myself and co-instructor Riley had a few members out for some specialized training.

Titsonritz had a A5 H3 buffer he wanted to try, and he let me put it in my rifle...which has the A5 system in it, but with the A5 H2 buffer.

I did a magazine dump at 20 yards on a 12x20 silhouette in under 5 sec. All 25 rounds in approx 8-9" spread.

Amazing difference from the H2 to the H3.

There were some other rounds on the steel previous to my mag dump...but Tits and Porter can verify the results.

Off to get a H3...

20190523_162148.jpg

Last Edited:
I've been debating on what to do with my 18" rifle gas system and have been leaning toward a rifle tube and buffer with an A1 stock.

That's why I like the A5 system.
Mild rifle gassed recoil with a collapsible stock which is nice with a lot of clothes or body armor on or can shorten it up for tight environment or lengthen it out for prone shooting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top