JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all! Today at the range, I caught a gentleman starting to fire up this old ammo... Unfortunately he had already fired a few rounds before I could inform him, that it would be a shame to blow it all away, and that it could have some collector value! He said he wasn't interested in collecting and just wanted something to shoot, so I told him I'd swap him a box of new stuff for his old ammo. Needless to say we were both happy campers...

Anyhow, on to the ammo itself. I tried tons of google searches and got close but can't actually find this exact box. I'm curious about how old it is, what it's value might be, and just about it in general... Also, where is a good place to sell or trade off a lot of old (really old) ammo and empty boxes? I figure there's got to be some collectors on here but maybe I'm oblivious to another great place to do so, besides gun shows.

Here's a couple pics. Only side with print is the front.

20160831_164440_zpska3kbi52.jpg 20160831_164419_zps94ryangl.jpg

That box was made during WWII. Most of those boxes were dated with a stamping on the end of the box, actually mine is on the side also. Value in mint condition is right around $50

I should add that the date stamping is small, about 1/8" tall and 5/8" long. Also note that allot of boxes of this ammo was sent over to England and Russia before we got involved in WWII. So it was Lend Lease ammunition. Somewhere around I have a book with US ammo and arms that we sent over.

Last Edited:
If I remember correctly, Western Cartridge acquired Winchester in the mid 1930's. So it's at least that old. Velzey's probably right about the dating.

There are usually a couple of cartridge nerds at the Oregon Arms Collectors shows that might be interested in it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR