JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Caveman Jim is a welder of wood, he might be able to cobble you up something in true American fashion saturated with the proper spirit!

:)

I can't believe I'm late to this thread, as Stomper as mentioned I do weld wood but as for the last three-four years I have taken a vacation from it due to my back problems and my recent entry into reloading.

That being said I do believe it's time I got back into the swing of things clean off my Dusty table saw, Band Saw, jointer, drum sander and drill press so I can get busy making some sawdust once again.

I will do some research and get back to this thread in a few days.;)

Part 1:

It finally happened and it was more than I could have hoped for. I was finally able to get a proper memorial flag case made for my grandfather who was a WWII veteran around 1943. He passed away in 1987, and I have had his flag ever since ..... always wanting to get it into a proper case.

Well, I put out the call in this forum and had several generous offers. But the one I just had to utilize was by the father of @SKrueger. Who was also in the Army and who was also from Kansas like my grandfather was, and is a very skilled wood worker/artist.

SKrueger and I have been trying since before November to get together to make this happen. Well, life kind of gets in the way and these things can take time.Now, it seems SKrueger has this very old black powder rifle that's been in his family since his great-grandfather, who he thought maybe @AndyinEverson might be able to give some insight to. SKrueger asked if he could invite AndyinEverson, and I told him I had been thinking about inviting Andy as well, and to please get out of my head! :D

So, the trip was all arranged to meet at SKrueger's parents place. I will let those two tell you the park and ride story, because I know they want to give me the "biz". Then I will tell how his parents dog like Andy and me way more than SKrueger. :p

SKrueger's parents are simply some of the best people you could ever want to meet. His mother is wonderful, with an excellent sense of humor, gracious, and welcoming. His father is equally wonderful, also with a terrific sense of humor, gracious and welcoming. I can see why SKrueger is the way he is.

Last Edited:
Part 1:

It finally happened and it was more than I could have hoped for. I was finally able to get a proper memorial flag case made for my grandfather who was a WWII veteran around 1943. He passed away in 1987, and I have had his flag ever since ..... always wanting to get it into a proper case made.

Well, I put out the call in this forum and had several generous offers. But the one I just had to utilize was by the father of @SKrueger. Who was also in the Army and who was also from Kansas like my grandfather was, and is a very skilled wood worker/artist.

SKrueger and I have been trying since before November to get together to make this happen. Well, life kind of gets in the way and these things can take time.Now, it seems SKrueger has this very old black powder rifle that's been in his family since his great-grandfather, who he thought maybe @AndyinEverson might be able to give some insight to. SKrueger asked if he could invite AndyinEverson, and I told him I had been thinking about inviting Andy as well, and to please get out of my head! :D

So, the trip was all arranged to meet at SKrueger's parents place. I will let those two tell you the park and ride story, because I know they want to give me the "biz". Then I will tell how his parents dog like Andy and me way more than SKrueger. :p

SKrueger's parents are simply some of the best people you could ever want to meet. His mother is wonderful, with an excellent sense of humor, gracious, and welcoming. His father is equally wonderful, also with a terrific sense of humor, gracious and welcoming. I can see why SKrueger is the way he is.

:s0122:

And hey I told you where I would meet you at the park and ride its not my fault that you put the cart before the OX!!! :p:D

Part 2:

After we all arrived at SKrueger's parents and all the introductions are out of the way. I pull out a box of patches that my sister gave me, who said they might belong to grandpa. AndyinEverson went through them and told us what they were, and so we concluded that they probably did belong to my grandfather.

I asked these three U.S Army Veterans if they thought my grandfathers flag was folded appropriately and respectfully. I was thrilled when they gave their blessings, and that it was acceptable to them. SKrueger's father brought out the case and we placed the flag in, and screwed the back on. They patiently indulged a few stories about my grandfather as we drank some very nice beer that SKrueger brought.

We then went about oggling the SKrueger family black powder rifle.

Pictures at the end! Muwahahahaha!

Last Edited:
Part three:

The SKrueger rifle is simply beautiful, it is dated to about the early-mid 1800's (if I recall correctly). It wasn't long before AndyinEverson had the double barrels off and the lock-work detatched for a more thorough peek-see. Though it has been worked on, Andy said you could clean up the lock-work a bit and safely fire it.

We then went out and got Andy's three black powder rifles and gear. Man, these things are museum pieces! They too are gorgeous simply gorgeous. Andy let us hold them, dry fire them and explained everything you would want to know about them ........ how to properly load them, shoulder them, what kinds of people would have owned them, what they would have been used for, who made them and how they were made. It wasn't just the rifles, but all the gear that he uses when he's plinking or hunting with them. That stuff too is equally impressive, true to the period when these rifles were used. Andy keeps all these traditions alive in both knowledge and use and willingness to share.

Last Edited:
Part four:

There is an honorable mention that I wish to include. My wife made a batch of @Howard1955 biscuits for us. These had breakfast sausage baked into them. They are known in certain circles as Howard's Biscuits because he graciously shared the recipe with me, and my wife has made the original recipe ones and slightly tweaked versions ever since. So @Howard1955 ....... here's to you my friend! Thank you, and one of these days we are going to meet each other in person.

Well to wrap it up a bit. If you ever, and I mean ever have the opportunity to meet @SKrueger or @AndyinEverson DO IT! These men are simply some of the finest people you will ever meet. I could go on and on about these two all day long. All I can say is, the words simply pale when compared to who they are in person.

Last Edited:
Final:

Here is the before:
DSCN0738.JPG

Here is the finished case:
341364-410edd744dcda03df079472485ab0b2a.jpg

341365-f6985cfbafb99686380b653ae1fe03fd.jpg

At long last!

DSCN0777.JPG

*Please note: I had SKrueger's father, SKrueger, and AndyinEverson sign the back for me. I am working on getting a plaque with their names and my grandfathers name engraved on it, to be fastened onto the case.

We should never forget our Veterans.

Thank you all!

Last Edited:
@ikemay believe me when I tell you my friend the feeling about that day is mutual. It was a pleasure to meet you and Andy and share some beers over great stories.

As for the flag case I think that us veterans have to stick together. I don't think the new and the old get enough recognition in today's times for what they have done and what they have sacrificed for this great country. It was my honor to help you in your quest to honor your grandfather. :)

I should be thanking you for allowing me to be a part of your family and sharing in this fun filled journey!!

@ikemay believe me when I tell you my friend the feeling about that day is mutual. It was a pleasure to meet you and Andy and share some beers over great stories.

As for the flag case I think that us veterans have to stick together. I don't think the new and the old get enough recognition in today's times for what they have done and what they have sacrificed for this great country. It was my honor to help you in your quest to honor your grandfather. :)

I should be thanking you for allowing me to be a part of your family and sharing in this fun filled journey!!

SKrueger,

I hope people understand, that there are things THEY can do to honor the sacrifices made by people like you, your father, Andy, and my grandfather. I for one did not want my grandfather's memorial flag to wind up in the garbage, a thrift shop, or being used as a bed spread somewhere. This hand made case, with you guys on it along with my grandfather will always have a home of honor somewhere. I was thinking when the time comes and I cannot be the steward of your memory, the Legion Hall my grandfather used to go to might be a fitting place if they are willing to take it and treat it well. But it will never simply be discarded or disrespected if I have a say about it.

Skrueger, all of you are special people and are now part of my family and in my prayers ...... always. The beauty is, we can do it again, at least that is my sincere hope. And you know what, the more the merrier. There are some darn fine people on this forum, and it would be nice to meet more of them.

Mike

Last Edited:
There are some darn fine people on this forum, and it would be nice to meet more of them.

Well I guess we need to help @Caveman Jim get the north meet up going! You and Andy could meet up and drive down together just leave the OX in the barn or you might be late!! :p:D

Edit: I would drive up for a northern NWFA meet. Always love meeting new like minded, good people!

Mike,

I just read the whole thread, and it made my day. Glad you're still enjoying the biscuits, and congratulations on the flag box. Sounds like you all had a great time together.

It's an honor to associate with you all on NWFA.

Howard

Mike,

I just read the whole thread, and it made my day. Glad you're still enjoying the biscuits, and congratulations on the flag box. Sounds like you all had a great time together.

It's an honor to associate with you all on NWFA.

Howard

Just so people are aware, @Howard1955 and I have communicated with each other behind the scenes for some time now. Howard and his family are not just "good people", Howard and his family are "GREAT people". He falls into the exact same category as SKrueger's family, SKrueger, and AndyinEverson. I consider Howard a friend, and not just some "forum friend" ...... I mean a real friend.

There are just some excellent people on this forum, NWFA is a very special place.

Last Edited:
Well I guess we need to help @Caveman Jim get the north meet up going! You and Andy could meet up and drive down together just leave the OX in the barn or you might be late!! :p:D

Edit: I would drive up for a northern NWFA meet. Always love meeting new like minded, good people!

Yeah, it kind of ran out of steam with me being busy & not much time here as of late. Thanks Bro!!!;);)

Mike and Skrueger...thank you all for the kind words...It was a honor to meet you both
( And Skrueger's family )
As has been noted stories were shared , biscuits and beer as well...:D
Watching the casing of Mike's flag and seeing the pride and honor that was shown , both in the making of the case itself and knowledge of just who it was for...made for a special and heartfelt memory.

And as always any excuse for me to share some old rifles and bore some folks with their history , is not to be missed...plus there was beer and biscuits...:D
Andy

Mike and Skrueger...thank you all for the kind words...It was a honor to meet you both
( And Skrueger's family )
As has been noted stories were shared , biscuits and beer as well...:D
Watching the casing of Mike's flag and seeing the pride and honor that was shown , both in the making of the case itself and knowledge of just who it was for...made for a special and heartfelt memory.

And as always any excuse for me to share some old rifles and bore some folks with their history , is not to be missed...plus there was beer and biscuits...:D
Andy

Let no one say we didn't have our priorities straight. :D

My grandfather served under Patton. He was a mean old bastige, but I was one of the few he'd share his stories with (let alone even talk too) because I served as well.... I commanded the Army funeral detail that carried his coffin, folded his flag, shot the 21-gun salute, then I officially presented my grandma his folded burial flag (graveside) in front of the entire extended family.... BUT later I found out he was an evil child abusing sumbeatch (in the worst way) that ruined all of my Aunts from that side of the family. I love a good story of redemption, but for me there's two things you just don't come back from... and that's one of them. All those years... I had no idea.

We don't get to pick who our family members are, but we ARE responsible for our own character and conduct, and I aim to quietly make things right after my dad passes away. I plan to quietly burn "grandpa's" burial flag with his WWII dress uniform, service ribbons, medals, discharge papers (all of it) and complete the erasure of his existence from my life and descendent family.

I'm thankful for the service of all your grandfathers, and I vicariously share your in your pride, respect, and love y'all have for them. It sounds like THEY deserve it.

"We didn't do what we did for the money, fame, or glory. We did what we did... because it needed doing."

View attachment 384845

My apologies for being a downer in this thread... it all just came over me as I was thinking about it.

No problem at all! I hope saying it, out loud as it were, helped!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top