JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like you add load data and firearm weight and it calcs the recoil energy in ft/lbs

I don't recall the formula, but somewhere in John Plaster's Ultimate Sniper manual there is a formula where a constant is used to calculate the most efficient weight for a sniper rifle so that the shooter can shoot for extended periods without producing an unconcious flinch. Check the weight of the USMC dedicated sniper rifles and you'll find them rather heavy.

It's not data I would say can be translated into real life.
"Remember that "felt recoil" may be a little different from these numbers because felt recoil depends on the design of the firearm, how you hold it, recoil pads, and other factors."

I can shoot a 30-06 and slugs from a 12ga all day long without discomfort - I'm also 6'1" and 275lbs with decent muscle.

Someone 125lbs is going to have a much different experience for example.

It's not data I would say can be translated into real life.
"Remember that "felt recoil" may be a little different from these numbers because felt recoil depends on the design of the firearm, how you hold it, recoil pads, and other factors."

I can shoot a 30-06 and slugs from a 12ga all day long without discomfort - I'm also 6'1" and 275lbs with decent muscle.

Someone 125lbs is going to have a much different experience for example.

I would second this notion. I can shoot something all day long but someone half my size could be black and blue. Ever seen a 180lb man shoot a large caliber rifle and be to afraid to tuck it tight to his shoulder.

I would second this notion. I can shoot something all day long but someone half my size could be black and blue. Ever seen a 180lb man shoot a large caliber rifle and be to afraid to tuck it tight to his shoulder.

Agreed! A lot has to do with the shape and cut of the stock, its recoil pad, barrel length, bullet weight and any number of other factors! I shoot a .375 Weatherby Mag, and its one of the hardest kicking rifles out there, 55+ pounds of recoil! That said, it also has a very nice stock and recoil pad that soaks up some of that recoil, about what a. 300 Win Mag kicks, if that! Same with my .500 Jeffries, actually kicking ( felt recoil) even less, so the truth is, recoil is a far more subjective subject, and thats just the mechanics of it. A persons physical build, and natural stance also effects how you perceive recoil. I have handed big dudes like @11Charlie my .375 and they cry like little girls, yet my 5'4" 150 pound bride can shoot a whole box and smile with every round! ( not saying 11Charley is a woosey) just an example!:D:p
Best advice is to go out and choot and bunch and see what your body agrees with!:)

Numbers may only tell part of the story, but the tool still has some uses. You know what rifle X feels like so, going by the numbers, you can get a general idea of what to expect from rifle Z

....or experience with various rifles and calibers works too, can usually pick up a rifle and go "ooooh, featherweight! this is gonna be awesome until I pull the trigger"

Good thing my .308 shoots like a 22mag. lol. ... nope, a little off.
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.12.00 PM.png

I think the 6.5 stats are off too...
Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.13.51 PM.png

As noted above...
Just how the rifle's stock fits you , with length of pull , height and shape of the comb , and the type of recoil pad will play a large role in how you feel the recoil of the rifle.

The Winchester model 94 carbine in .30-30 is a classic "light recoiling" rifle...but the with my long monkey arms , the stock design is not a good fit for me...And while not a "Hard Kicker" , the 94 carbine is not comfortable for me to shoot for many rounds...again due to the stock design.

I would encourage the OP to get out and and try to shoot as many different types of guns as possible...to see what works for him in the real world and not what some book or formula has to say...
Andy

Shooting position is a big factor as well. My dream is to buy property where I can have my own shooting range out to hundreds of yards. In this dream I would not only have a traditional height bench but also a happy bench. That is a standing height bench so you can shoot a benched rifle in the standing position. Makes a world of difference in recoil perception. Carry on and let me dream. :cool:

It's a decent guide, at least. Certainly not the entire discussion.

The one rifle that scared me to shoot was my brother's Remington 721 in .270 Win. That thing liked to cut my shoulder off. A very sharp recoil impulse.

P

After spending time with Barrett 82A1, it is my experience the recoil is much easier to take than a Mossberg 590 with slugs. 5'-11" 185lbs
They aren't taking muzzle brakes into consideration in that calculator though.

My shotgun I shoot slugs out of has a pretty big brake on it too :D

This looks like a very interesting link to determine recoil for any firearm using various types of ammunition. I would like to learn how to use it, but it's over my head! Does anyone know how to use this calculator?

ShootersCalculator.com | Recoil Calculator
@G8rHunter , take a look at this https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Gun-Recoil-Formulae-2018-07-9-1.pdf
The calculator you referenced appears to be a version of the SAAMI free recoil energy calcs. Recoil Formulae – SAAMI
The last page has the formula whittled down so it is easier to use. I have used this to calculate bolt weight and recoil spring weight base on "theoretical" recoil energy for a DIY pistol.

It works !

~Whitney

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top