JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fog Lights
I've never understood the fascination with this accessory, especially now that all cars come with LED headlamps that are plenty bright. To each his own.

Diesels...
Just my opinion, but for people living in the city or the 'burbs, a lot of this is style. The manufacturers keep pandering to this trend, ever bigger "light" trucks, ever bigger power plants. And it snow-balls. Boeing worker sees neighbor down the street with great, big, shiny, new pickup, "Oh, I gotta get me one of those." Latest style in my area: Great big pickup towing two axle, short bed heavy steel trailer. Zooming down the road empty.

Lotta judgement going on.

First, fog lights...
I don't care how bright the new headlights are. Some are so narrowly focused you can't see outside the tight focus of the beam. The road directly in front of my vehicle may be burning from these modern headlights, but they're not much good if I can't see a deer on the side of the road. Hence the fascination for foglights. And they have little to do with brightness, and actually quite the opposite. For many years, I was on call 24 hours a day. On the road at all hours, usable headlights are not a status symbol. And the wide beams of the past, although not nearly as intense as the modern beams, provided more usable light, covering the road, the shoulders, and even the traffic signs. Fog lights fill in the fringes that mega bright modern headlights miss.

And diesel...
I didn't know us in the burbs have different requirements. Doesn't matter where I live, if I'm pulling a big trailer in the mountains. A heavy duty pickup with lots of power is more than just for looks. It is just plain safer. And it's comforting to know I can carry a heavy load, and/or pull a big or heavy trailer when tasked to do so, even though sometimes my rig might be empty.

Last Edited:
I'm just waiting for some enterprening company to do repop body and chassis for the classic Kaiser M715s ;) I mean, if there's a market for repop Jeep CJ and Willy tubs and chassis, as well as 60s Mustangs, 34 Fords, 57 Chevy bodies.. then there is absolutely a market for the M715 looks as well as the Dodge M37 Power Wagons :D

Hahaha!! Nope
But them dodges are cheaply built. The other tough pill is they have tons of bling. Crap that breaks.
But they are the only ones that sound like. Diesel out of the big three.
yeah a work truck package with manual seats and no carpet is whats up. the stupid electronics are EXPENSIVE!

I'm just waiting for some enterprening company to do repop body and chassis for the classic Kaiser M715s ;) I mean, if there's a market for repop Jeep CJ and Willy tubs and chassis, as well as 60s Mustangs, 34 Fords, 57 Chevy bodies.. then there is absolutely a market for the M715 looks as well as the Dodge M37 Power Wagons :D
My niece. Her father In law has a four door 1992 power wagon. I think it's the final year of the poser wagon. It's pretty sweet.

My niece. Her father In law has a four door 1992 power wagon. I think it's the final year of the poser wagon. It's pretty sweet.
Nah, I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about these :D
14645686-1953-dodge-m37-std.jpg
M37 truck.
And
jeep_gladiator_1967_pictures_1_b.jpg
The real deal Kaiser Jeep M715/Gladiator, not the abomination based on a stretched JK Wrangler chassis

EDit. The Kia K31/KM45/450 is a relatively close copy in appearance.. but not legal to import yet :(
k31-cargo-11.jpg

If Mahindra can bring a "Willys lookalike" to the US market, then someone could in theory do repop bodies that can be transplanted onto newer chassis/drivetrains...
edit. I honestly don't know if anyone is still doing 4 corner leaf springs and solid axles both front and rear though

Lotta judgement going on.

Yes, you're quite right. I let my rant button get pressed a little too deep. Headlamps and fog lamps have two different functions for sure. BUT: But 98% of people who have them on newer vehicles do not use them as you do. The drive around with them all 24/7 in an absence of fog. Just because, I guess.

Yes, a heavy duty pickup is for more than just looks. But I still believe a lot of people over-buy them. Which is their right, of course.

Nah, I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about these

The Dodge M37 was one of the exceptional vehicles the US Army bought in that they really got their money's worth out of them. They won't win any speed races but will keep going for a long time. Not built for comfort.

Yes, you're quite right. I let my rant button get pressed a little too deep. Headlamps and fog lamps have two different functions for sure. BUT: But 98% of people who have them on newer vehicles do not use them as you do. The drive around with them all 24/7 in an absence of fog. Just because, I guess.

I converted the fog lights on my car to be able to come on by themselves during the day.:p

Yes, a heavy duty pickup is for more than just looks. But I still believe a lot of people over-buy them. Which is their right, of course.

I used to because I felt they substituted for DRLs and I got tired of replacing the headlight bulbs every 6 months. Then I learned how hard it was to replace the bulbs for the fog lights - a LOT harder than the headlights which were a PITA just not as much as the fog lights.

On my X1, turning on the fog lights turns on the headlights. But it also has the DRLs and the headlights are automatic (turn when it is dark). So I turn on the fog lights when it is foggy or raining - they make a difference in being seen when it is raining. They turn off with the high beams, which I wish they did not do. They also turn on with the turn signals when the headlights are on - if turning left then the left fog light turns on and vice versa - which is good IMO.

I really like my adaptive HIDs - they turn with the steering wheel and adapt to the speed. Really nice on dark nights, especially on tight twisty roads, which is the first/last 5 miles on the mountain road to my house.

I'm fortunate enough to still have a pretty secure job through all of this nonsense. I walk to work and have a recently acquired motorcycle and paid for and nicely modded Toyota FJ Cruiser that'll probably last me past 300k miles (@145k and don't daily drive), but I can't help but want a sports car. Even though I should be saving more for the impending housing crisis, someone losing their job and selling off a Toyota 86 or older Porsche Boxster maaaaaay just tempt me to bite the bullet and get another toy I really don't need o_O

I used to because I felt they substituted for DRLs and I got tired of replacing the headlight bulbs every 6 months. Then I learned how hard it was to replace the bulbs for the fog lights - a LOT harder than the headlights which were a PITA just not as much as the fog lights.

The car I drive most often and nearly always when the weather goes bad has LED headlamp bulbs. The high beams are yellow, which is designed to reduce glare in fog. And the concept works. So I don't need separate fog lights. Remember the old timey accessory fog lights that mounted on the front bumpers of old cars? Like sold at Pep Boys? Those were offered with yellow lens as well as clear.

Same car has cornering lights that activate with the turn signals. So I don't get directional light whenever the steering turns but at least when cornering.

Adaptive headlamp technology will likely trickle down to most cars as time goes by. Much like anti-lock brakes and traction lock have.

Yeah dodge trucks are called shipping crates because the only thing worth a damn is the motor.

I won't say bad words against Dodge but I've never felt the urge to own one. I have a little story about one of my numb-nuts sons-in-law. To start, I have to say he doesn't take good care of equipment, that's a part of it. So first he bought a Dodge Ram pickup. It had brake issues, electrical issues, and basically fell apart on him. Then he had a Dodge Magnum but for so short a period I don't know how that worked out. Next, he had a Dodge Grand Caravan. I know about that one, I had to drive them to the airport once in it. It was a rolling disaster, falling apart. Lots of electrical issues. Wouldn't stay running at idle. He said, "Now you have to kinda watch it when you get off the freeway, it'll wanna die on ya at the foot of the offramp. Then it won't start again." Used oil. He never keeps a Dodge long enough to get it fully paid off, they just roll in the remaining financing on the next purchase. At least he's able to get rid of the duds as trade-ins. His latest vehicle is a Dodge Durango. When he bought it, I asked him, "Why on earth did you buy another Dodge??" He said with a straight face, "Well, I've had pretty good luck with them." In fairness the Durango has been a fairly decent vehicle.

Over the years, Dodge has made some pretty good power train components. That all went straight downhill when so much of their product line when front wheel drive. They still make some rear wheel drive pax car models, on unit bodies. My other numb-nuts son-in-law had one of those, a Chrysler 300. It didn't last all that long. One engine replacement, some electrical issues. We both bought new cars that year, 2005. He bought the Chrysler, I bought a Ford Crown Victoria. The Chrysler is long gone, the Crown Vic is still running strong at 144K miles, never has needed any major work. Brakes have been done once on both ends, plus routine maintenance. Which is the key to long service life so long as the product is any good in the first place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top