JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've done this 2x in the past when buying a new car, and note I was paying cash both times
  1. Ident exactly what I want. Make, Model, Color, Accessories.
  2. Email multiple dealerships (each on the BCC). I told them I was paying cash, exactly what I wanted including the detailed list, and that I wanted the out-the-door price including licensing and tax.
  3. Sit back.
I did this in Jan, 2017 for a Toyota. $2,500 difference across the dealerships. I went with Toyota in Burlington, WA since they were one of the lower bids and they were nice overall. Toyota in downtown Seattle and Bellingham (surprisingly) were the highest.

I could use a new truck or SUV, really meaning slightly used, but without income and being a single man living on my savings, I am not looking to deplete that on something that will cost more money to own.

How are the gas prices looking? I keep reading on the news that gas is at a low at the pump s, and negative in the crude sector.

I was very close to buying a new rig on Monday. Not because I need one but because I want one. I currently drive a work truck and it's nice, but tbh makes me feel reliant and I've been craving some independence. Recently paid off some bills and came upon $400 a month extra, so I told em "hey I have a nice truck, if your numbers don't match what I want I walk." It worked out for me, but I reflected with my wife and determined I was just feeling edgy - not a smart move right now.

That being said, my wife gave me the okay if I can find an old Apache in our price range.
What year of Apache?

The things I looked for when I was buying a daily driver:

1) A crossover SUV with a bit of sport mixed with comfort and style. AWD and some cargo room
2) HID/Xenon light - the X1 has adaptive lighting; the lights turn into the corner - great on twisty roads
3) Enough room for my 6'6" frame
4) A safe car - i.e., airbags, good handling, AWD, etc.

Changed quite a bit from 1959 to 1960 - complete style change. A 59 was my first truck with a 235 ci six and a short bed. It was a surplus forest service truck - green and white. I took the stepside off it and put a Fleetside on it.

We had a '62 on the farm.

Right, I said a bit, but I didn't quantify it ;)

I can appreciate both the pre and post 60's versions. I find I like the longer beds on the 60's rigs rather than short. I'm a young chap (33) but as a kid my dad had a 66' that he put a roll cage in and ran as a derby truck. Those are among my first memories of working on a vehicle with him.

EDIT: your first truck sounds like a winner!

I never liked the later boxy style - like the early '60 Impalas - meh - to each their own. I drove the farm '62 around a lot. It had a V8 in it.

Like any kid, I messed with my '59 a lot. Put an Offy manifold on it with three carbs. Also some Clifford headers and dual points. Stupid kid. Painted it black too - poor paint job. Traded it off for a dirt bike. Stupid kid. :oops::rolleyes:

Went onto the Ford site last week to see what it would cost to replace my '05 F250. It's a V10/club cab/long bed/FX4 4x4/ etc. Used their build tool to set up something as close as I could to what I've already got.
The result, with some apparently necessary sacrifices, came in at over $86,000. That's ridiculous.

Went onto the Ford site last week to see what it would cost to replace my '05 F250. It's a V10/club cab/long bed/FX4 4x4/ etc. Used their build tool to set up something as close as I could to what I've already got.
The result, with some apparently necessary sacrifices, came in at over $86,000. That's ridiculous.
My wife had a 2002 F250 7.3 with a stick shift [ I hate a v8 diesel], bought new and she said her knee was bothering her when shifting. A horse crash, so we bought a brand new 2018 in 2018 F350 XL x cab what ever ford calls them 4x4 with the 6.2 gas engine with a few popular dealer ordered options and actually it was a great choice of options, the price was $41,000 something out the door and my wife loves the truck . The $10,000 .00 diesel option with all the related emission garbage and service headaches soured me from a diesel engine.

Last Edited:
My wife had a 2002 F250 7.3 with a stick shift [ I hate a v8 diesel], bought new and she said her knee was bothering her when shifting. A horse crash, so we bought a brand new 2018 in 2018 F350 XL x cab what ever ford calls them 4x4 with the 6.2 gas engine with a few popular dealer ordered options and actually it was a great choice of options, the price was $41,000 something out the door and my wife loves the truck . The $10,000 .00 diesel option with all the related emission garbage and service headaches soured me from a diesel engine.

No reason for a diesel unless you need the towing ability. I think the problems on the newer diesels are pretty well ironed out though. My 2016 Duramax has been absolutely great.

I too am waiting for "more realistic" prices to hit the collector car market.
I have seen many people over the years who own not one, not two, but several nice, older cars. It's like they are "hoarding" them. I'm not into the usual high-dollar stuff like Chevelle's and Corvette's, I am more drawn to something like a 1960 Galaxie Starliner (or even a 500 coupe) which shouldn't be so darned expensive!
Not wishing ill will on anybody, but hopefully these hoarders end up offloading some of their "discretionary" inventory for more fair prices.

I think it'll be another 2 months before the prices come down. People still have some money, they have wishful thinking that they'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be back to normal.

No reason for a diesel unless you need the towing ability. I think the problems on the newer diesels are pretty well ironed out though. My 2016 Duramax has been absolutely great.

I never thought I'd say this, but my next truck will have a gasoline engine.

I love the incredible power of my diesel, but I don't tow a huge trailer any more, and I could tow my somewhat downsized RV with a gas rig. And save the diesel maintenance costs.

You don't drive much, do you?
comes with the Geezer/Curmudgeon membership agreement.
I recall voyages starting in Idaho going clear across either Wa or Or before a 'rest stop' was mandatory. And the 3 day out-of-town trips took all of 5 minutes to gather enough of the dainties to be comfortable. ;)

I remember when driving across country was actually enjoyable, the car needed a fill and driver needed draining at pretty much the same time....
....Nowadays it's drain the driver, drain the driver, drain the driver, drain the driver, drain the driver, drain the driver....arrive at Home Depot! :rolleyes:

I too am waiting for "more realistic" prices to hit the collector car market.
I have seen many people over the years who own not one, not two, but several nice, older cars. It's like they are "hoarding" them. I'm not into the usual high-dollar stuff like Chevelle's and Corvette's, I am more drawn to something like a 1960 Galaxie Starliner (or even a 500 coupe) which shouldn't be so darned expensive!
Not wishing ill will on anybody, but hopefully these hoarders end up offloading some of their "discretionary" inventory for more fair prices.

I think it'll be another 2 months before the prices come down. People still have some money, they have wishful thinking that they'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be back to normal.

Cars are like gun. Why have just one? Currently in my shop a 55 Nomad, 57 convertible, 66 Nova hardtop and looking to add more one more. Really want a Caddy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top