JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In two years I will either be buying the new tundra or keep mine for another year or so.

When I'm not working and driving the newer stuff, I am always driving my old stuff. New stuff is lame as crap. And I get note opinionated that way the older I get.

Jay Leno's garage is a dream for me...

Cars are like gun. Why have just one? Currently in my shop a 55 Nomad, 57 convertible, 66 Nova hardtop and looking to add more one more. Really want a Caddy

Yeah, I hear you. I totally expect "hoarders" to release some of their "on the fence" inventory soon to get some cash flow going. Fortunately, I think my taste in cars will align with what they are willing to sell. I think the stalwart classics won't go down in value much, but I like the old Chryslers and Fords and they sit at much lower values, but still too high.

Heck, LOTS of cars are "too high" priced. I sold a 1987 Honda Prelude Si about 3 years ago for $5500. Took a day and the buyer threw the cash at me. I probably could have asked for more.

Speaking of Cadillacs, I bought a 66 series Caddy from the estate of Barry Goldwater in Arizona in 1999. I die a little inside thinking about how I left that car in AZ when I moved here :oops:

In two years I will either be buying the new tundra or keep mine for another year or so.

When I'm not working and driving the newer stuff, I am always driving my old stuff. New stuff is lame as crap. And I get note opinionated that way the older I get.

Jay Leno's garage is a dream for me...

I'm waiting for Gen 3 Tundra also. Really hoping they offer a locking rear diff this time.

The Buick doesn't have the tether anchor to attach the car seat too
Thats actually something for me to consider soon... my Kia Sportage doesn't exactly have tether anchors, but it does have floor mounted cargo D rings in the cargo space... got me thinking if I need to rig up a tether system for the child seat when the baby gets older... still not born yet. Rear facing seat is a bit large for the Kia Sportage so its crammed in the backseat with almost no room to adjust. I'd like to stick to body-on-frame SUVs that have the optional 4x4 or AWD systems... that eliminates many non-truck based models :(

I'd be blown away if they did. I'm not sure any pickups have that now. The land cruiser does.

Nissan Titan and F-150s offer it.
I have a 2007 Titan with a locking rear diff, love it.
I believe the current LC no longer offers a true selectable locking diff.

TFL (on YouTube) tested a 2020 Titan Pro-4x which has locking diff and it went right over the most difficult obstacles as well as a Gladiator Rubicon (in that particular test, Jeep is overall better I know!). The other 1/2 ton trucks struggle in that test.

Anyways, my truck is getting old and I wouldn't mind a Toyota to replace it. Can't give up the rear locker, though!

Nissan Titan and F-150s offer it.
I have a 2007 Titan with a locking rear diff, love it.
I believe the current LC no longer offers a true selectable locking diff.

TFL (on YouTube) tested a 2020 Titan Pro-4x which has locking diff and it went right over the most difficult obstacles as well as a Gladiator Rubicon (in that particular test, Jeep is overall better I know!). The other 1/2 ton trucks struggle in that test.

Anyways, my truck is getting old and I wouldn't mind a Toyota to replace it. Can't give up the rear locker, though!
A titan? Come on man, lots of lemon Titans out there. Sorry! I'm I just hate Nissans. But they are always faster than any Toyota. And better stereos

The Buick doesn't have the tether anchor to attach the car seat to

Thats actually something for me to consider soon...

With a little imagination, you can install something that works yourself. It wouldn't be DOT approved but then again, you probably aren't going to be suing yourself. Cheaper than letting go of a perfectly good car like the Buick.

Fog lights

I've never understood the fascination with this accessory, especially now that all cars come with LED headlamps that are plenty bright. To each his own.

I never thought I'd say this, but my next truck will have a gasoline engine.

I love the incredible power of my diesel, but I don't tow a huge trailer any more, and I could tow my somewhat downsized RV with a gas rig. And save the diesel maintenance costs.

Just my opinion, but for people living in the city or the 'burbs, a lot of this is style. The manufacturers keep pandering to this trend, ever bigger "light" trucks, ever bigger power plants. And it snow-balls. Boeing worker sees neighbor down the street with great, big, shiny, new pickup, "Oh, I gotta get me one of those." Latest style in my area: Great big pickup towing two axle, short bed heavy steel trailer. Zooming down the road empty. Artificially low interest rates are probably a help with the 72 month note. I admit, I'm irredeemably curmudgeonly about this. If the manufacturers had to rely on my buying new equipment periodically, they all would've been out of business years ago. I keep vehicles a long time, take care of what I've got, make them last.

I pay attention to auto industry news. All indications are there is a recession in the making but right now it's in early stages. Regardless of people in shorts walking their dogs, using the Pandemic as a vacation. The economic bad stuff is still developing. New car sales are already in the dumper. Sales of used vehicles and their values are projected to plummet. Leasing is especially vulnerable. Lease agreements take into account resale value of the vehicle at turn-in. With buyers scarce, those values are going to go down. Already lease turn-ins are starting to stack up in storage.

30 million Americans have filed for unemployment since the Coronavirus thing began. New applications. None of them are likely to be buying anything new or used.

The "Cash for Clunkers" idea has been discussed at federal level, a kind of government indirect hand-out to the auto industry. Hey, I'm driving my clunkers, I'm not turning them in.

I heard the 2016 duramax has some fuel system issues. Did you hear about that?
yes and no. every fuel system failure ive seen at our dealership has been with a napa or wix fuel filter and if it has a tuner, theres no lift pump so insufficient lubrication/cooling of the cp4 injection pump makes it fail. ford uses the same cp4 pump but with a lift pump in the tank. very few issues with the ford fuel system

yes and no. every fuel system failure ive seen at our dealership has been with a napa or wix fuel filter and if it has a tuner, theres no lift pump so insufficient lubrication/cooling of the cp4 injection pump makes it fail. ford uses the same cp4 pump but with a lift pump in the tank. very few issues with the ford fuel system
That's it! The lubricant issue is what I hear about. Question! How many duramax have you seen that the owner doesn't tow much. Has over 120k miles and is 2015 or newer? I know it's hard to follow customers habits, but wanted to see if the diesel is "really" better now. And not laying the heat to the motor and burning them up.

That's it! The lubricant issue is what I hear about. Question! How many duramax have you seen that the owner doesn't tow much. Has over 120k miles and is 2015 or newer? I know it's hard to follow customers habits, but wanted to see if the diesel is "really" better now. And not laying the heat to the motor and burning them up.
i see a lot of them with high mileage. keep in mind theres millions of them out there. i only see broken ones. most repairs we make are with the stupid after-treatment system.

The "Cash for Clunkers" idea has been discussed at federal level, a kind of government indirect hand-out to the auto industry. Hey, I'm driving my clunkers, I'm not turning them in.
That's the biggest reason certain cars and trucks I liked, their prices shot way up based on the artificial scarcity due to thousands of people turning them in. I'm shooting to keep my 19-20ish year old Kia Sportage as long as economically possible... its only got 150k miles indicated. sure, its got a fresher whole engine, sure there's been lots of maintenance done to it... but it is still more affordable than anything else I like at the moment. :rolleyes: for what amounts to a "near disposable" car, its been quite reliable. :)

Any suggestion on what lift pump? I do tow pretty heavy when I do but its not often. Plan on keeping it stock unless something fails that can be deleted.

Last Edited:
Any suggestion on what lift pump? I do tow pretty heavy when I do its but not often. Plan on keeping it stock unless something fails that can be deleted.
FASS (what i see most) and air dog have good ones. also, that shop behind where kmart used to be off of mission in salem does a lot of aftermarket stuff to diesels. might give them a ring if thats something youd want to do. its a good idea and cant hurt.

one of the best things you can do is a liftpump and delete the EGR/ aftertreatment system mild tune and add a pyrometer. there is a LOT of power restricted inside of a duramax.

If I have to "upgrade" eventually, I am avoiding 2wd minivans/unibody "crossovers" ;)

Top of the list;
Volvo XC90 AWD wagons
2002-2009 Kia Sorento, preferably 4x4. (The 2010+ ones are fwd with unibodies based on the Santa Fe)
GM Yukon/Chevy Tahoe
Chevy Trailblazer maybe
4 door Silverado?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR