JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can say one thing about Subaru's and the newer CRVs. Avoid the turbo. So many additional issues with the turbo models compared to NA models.

he noticed it was using oil. Like a quart every 1000 miles. He found out that it is a common issue and Subaru refused to take care of it. He sold it when they moved to Japan and he still only lost about $1200 after owning it for two years.

I suspect this is one of the issues that leads to the head gasket problem. Being a fanatical oil checker, I noticed that our Subaru was using oil without a noticeable leak or smoking, so I started running a thicker oil (10W40), and the problem went away.

I had a 2016 Wrangler 4 door and it was completely reliable.

I used to have a 2 door wrangler,never a problem, I still miss it., unfortunately i needed something with a bed for hauling. plus my arm was getting tired of having to return waves from other jeep drivers all day.

The BEST part of the 4Runner I bought was when I learned it does NOT have a timing belt - I did not know this at the time and when I asked the previous owner (my next door neighbor) he told me and I got a full on 3/4 when I heard this!
He too said that was one of the reasons he bought it but we didn't discuss it at the time.
I knew it had the 4.0 but did not know it didn't have a TB as I was planning on replacing it if needed.
Its condition (and the $3500 I paid for it) kind of outweighed anything else at the time!
So a good deal turned into an OUTSTANDING deal when I learned this!
IMG_1311[1].JPG

Last Edited:
Yeah they are. Thats why the only way I could afford it is a almost straight across trade, but that has lots of concerns. I know the issues my truck has, but I don't know issues someone elses vehicle might have.
I wouldn't be concerned about that. It's kind of an even Steven thing.

We bought on 02 Rav4 (fwd) when our first kid came along. Still have it. We also had a 98 Blazer. We were able to get two boosters and a baby seat in the back of the rav4. We donated the Blazer and got an 08 Envoy. Much better. Fierce power and like a mountain goat off road. That was great until the kids got bigger and so did their stuff. So I sold the Envoy and went Tahoe. Everything fits in the Tahoe, freaking everything. I miss that Envoy though. Small vehicles are great if you plan on being a nuclear family or less. When reality eventually kicks in, bigger is better. There's sacrifices in all directions with any vehicle you choose though.

Congrats on the kid coming!!

For winter road trips I will second what @308 said above: Subaru's for the win. Our Subaru Tribeca hands down beats our pilot and Trailblazer in the snow and ice. Best winter driver I've ever owned.

Although, I must add that I rented a 2019 Suburban and drove from Portland to Spokane when we had all the snow, and it was awesome. Love those redneck Cadillacs. Definitely going to be my next purchase.
The greatest rig to buy used...
But a land cruiser is even better....

The BEST part of the 4Runner I bought was when I learned it does NOT have a timing belt - I did not know this at the time and when I asked the previous owner (my next door neighbor) he told me and I got a full on 3/4 when I heard this!
He too said that was one of the reasons he bought it but we didn't discuss it at the time.
I knew it had the 4.0 but did not know it didn't have a TB as I was planning on replacing it if needed.
Its condition (and the $3500 I paid for it) kind of outweighed anything else at the time!
So a good deal turned into an OUTSTANDING deal when I learned this!
View attachment 585351

Lol I am jealous! A $3500 4 runner would solve all my issues!

Lol I am jealous! A $3500 4 runner would solve all my issues!
Yep - everybody is telling me I didn't only STEAL this but I am a THIEF!
Yea smoking deal but my neighbors had just bought a later Sequoia and didn't want to deal with trying to sell it so we were drinking on a Sunday afternoon and after driving it I laid 'paper' on him and the deal was done!
I did not get away 'Scot free' as I had to sell my TJ to my daughter for less than I could have got (she really wanted it and played the 'daughter' card!) but everyone walked away happy!

A process that has had pretty good results for me when buying used, which is all I buy anyway is:

4. When buying SUV's, try to find one that doesn't have a trailer hitch already installed. Eliminates a lot of wear and tear

Agree and disagree, if the receiver shows no use or very light use (look at the paint inside the receiver and safety chain attach points) it saves having to add the receiver and wiring later. Also some vehicles that have the tow package may have bigger brakes, trans cooler, improved cooling system, etc.

Agree and disagree, if the receiver shows no use or very light use (look at the paint inside the receiver and safety chain attach points) it saves having to add the receiver and wiring later. Also some vehicles that have the tow package may have bigger brakes, trans cooler, improved cooling system, etc.

Good point. When I was shopping the last time, I really wanted an older Suburban in the 6k-8k range, but kept running into ones that had obviously been used hard in the trades or pulling a huge trailer. I finally settled on a well cared for Trailblazer EXT that had been gently used by one family only for $3900, and it's been problem free so far. I decided to just wait and pay a bit more for a newer Suburban that's a lease/rental return in a few years.

Whatever you decide on, I would go with a Toyota or a Subaru for reliability. Nisan and Jeep are known for reliability problems. Read the reviews, not the paid ones in the auto mags. I drive a 4R and the wife a Rav4. They work!

Whatever you decide on, I would go with a Toyota or a Subaru for reliability. Nisan and Jeep are known for reliability problems. Read the reviews, not the paid ones in the auto mags. I drive a 4R and the wife a Rav4. They work!

Agree about issues with Jeep however they (at least the TJ's) are relatively easy to work on and parts are generally cheap compared to some. That said buy Toyota or Honda.:)
I use my TJ as a spare / winter vehicle.

I'm surprised to hear people recommend a Wrangler for a family vehicle. They have a terrible ride, handle lousy, reliability is iffy and they roll over easier than some other options. Personally I would never own a Wrangler........again. Yes, I fell for the hype once.

4Runner is my recommendation as well. I bought a 2002 in 2013 for $14k with 72,000 on the clock. It's still on the road with almost 200k on it now.

I'm surprised to hear people recommend a Wrangler for a family vehicle. They have a terrible ride, handle lousy, reliability is iffy and they roll over easier than some other options. Personally I would never own a Wrangler........again. Yes, I fell for the hype once.

4Runner is my recommendation as well. I bought a 2002 in 2013 for $134k with 72,000 on the clock. It's still on the road with almost 200k on it now.
That must be one sweet ride!
$134k?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews