JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Replace the wife's 2wd Rav4 with a AWD version if she likes hers.

Neighbor bought a brand new one last Fall that was clearanced at $24k.

When buying a 4dr late model Tacoma, you might as well buy new since they retain their value so well.

I won't own another nissan, too needy and too hard to work on. My xterra is sitting waiting for a head gasket. Loved the '12 v6 rav4 4wd we had (wife totaled it), decent on gas and very fast + 5000 towing on the v6 version. Replaced with '16 honda cr v awd, it's working out well, quick and great fuel economy. My Jeep TJ 10 - 15 mpg, crappy ride, but pushes snow well with a 2" front receiver mounted blade, easy on easy off.
Keep the truck and replace the wifes rav4 with another rav4 in 4wd or a 4runner. Only bad about the 4runner is the fuel consumption compared to the rav4.

Side note: I used that rav4 for winter jobs in Idaho and Montana. Returned to CDA,ID on one trip to Billings in blizzard conditions. We run blizzak snow tires in winter, that Rav4 was stupid good on snow and ice. Got home to find my wife had my 4x4 truck stuck in the driveway and friends (who had come to rescue her) 4x4 Tundra stuck about a quarter mile from our house. Around three hours of work with the tractor to get the two trucks unstuck.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I have a 95 Trooper with a manual transmission. Bought it for $1400, put a $1200 arb bumper on it and did a bunch of maintenance. Less than $3000 and I daily drive it.

Have you ever considered 2005-2007 4 door dodge cummins, 5.9 diesel, only 6 cylinders. and fairly decent fuel mileage and torque all day long.

What vehicle would you suggest then?
I would save up and keep the money. You only need 1 kid vehicle.
I know more about cars then most. Worked at Lexus for 3 years. The I was a dealer/broker.
Here's what I know. If your younger with less money, but a used Toyota or Honda. If your old and rich, Buy a Lexus.
Nissan has one quality. When they run, they are always faster than a Toyota or Honda. Always!

I will need something for winter road trips

For winter road trips I will second what @308 said above: Subaru's for the win. Our Subaru Tribeca hands down beats our pilot and Trailblazer in the snow and ice. Best winter driver I've ever owned.

Although, I must add that I rented a 2019 Suburban and drove from Portland to Spokane when we had all the snow, and it was awesome. Love those redneck Cadillacs. Definitely going to be my next purchase.

For me, it depends on the ratio of highway, backroad, offroad, ice/snow driving I intend to do.

- Both of my 4.0 Cherokees (89 & 97) were extremely capable vehicles.
- Both of my Outbacks (03 & 15) have also been outstanding.
(I always keep a beater pickup on the side for hauling motorcycles, big loads, pulling boats, etc.)

The Jeeps and Subarus all had 4 doors, excellent performance, and plenty of room for passengers and baby buckets. Obviously, the 25-30 mpg Outbacks are cheaper to drive 15-20k a year than the Cherokees at 15-18.

Regarding the Jeeps, I have consistently witnessed over decades that for every 3-4 owners who say they like theirs, there will be one who says it's the worst lemon they ever owned - happily taking a loss to dispose of the nightmare. This can happen with any brand/model, but Cherokees seem to elicit VERY polar emotions. Like I said, I loved both of mine.

Just remember, when it comes to buying a used 4x4 (or anything really), there exists the possibility that a previous owner, perhaps a teenager (I know I did when I was a kid), already beat the dog-snot out of it.

Last Edited:
For winter road trips I will second what @308 said above: Subaru's for the win. Our Subaru Tribeca hands down beats our pilot and Trailblazer in the snow and ice. Best winter driver I've ever owned.

Although, I must add that I rented a 2019 Suburban and drove from Portland to Spokane when we had all the snow, and it was awesome. Love those redneck Cadillacs. Definitely going to be my next purchase.
The wife almost bought a Subaru recently, but there are some many negatives out there on head gasket failure.
It was like "Plan on doing head gaskets at xx, xxx miles."

The wife almost bought a Subaru recently, but there are some many negatives out there on head gasket failure.
It was like "Plan on doing head gaskets at xx, xxx miles."

I am OK doing a little more expensive maintanence, as long as it is planned. I have put a lot of money into my truck, but it was all planned and I have never been stranded.

I am OK doing a little more expensive maintanence, as long as it is planned. I have put a lot of money into my truck, but it was all planned and I have never been stranded.

A process that has had pretty good results for me when buying used, which is all I buy anyway is:
  1. Decide your price range, year range, and total miles allowed on the car
  2. Get a subscription to Consumer Reports, and locate the type of vehicle you want in 'most reliable' catagory that fits your budget, year, and mileage requirements
  3. Purchase Autocheck, a carfax alternative that will often show history that carfax doesn't. This definitely caught a few lemons during my auto searches.
  4. When buying SUV's, try to find one that doesn't have a trailer hitch already installed. Eliminates a lot of wear and tear
  5. Insist on a pre-buy check-up at your mechanic before you pull the trigger. When I bought my Trailblazer, they found an easily fixable, very light transmission pan leak that knocked of a decent amount of money from the purchase price

Forester, Outback etc.
Talk to an independent mechanic about the model that you are looking at.

When shopping for the CR-V, my brother and I were talking to the owner of C&T Used Cars in Moscow, who is a friend of our dad's.

He said that Subarus are stupid popular around here, but when he goes to auctions to get a couple, he has to factor in doing a head gasket and a couple of other minor things into the numbers.

He said with the CR-Vs and Rav4s, he just does fluid changes and they're good to go, but nearly every used Subaru needs a new head gasket and some minor things fixed before he puts them on his lot, so he's tried to avoid them.

Even my son-in-law, who is a Subaru fanboy, bought a mint 2011 Forester a few years ago with 40k miles on it and he noticed it was using oil. Like a quart every 1000 miles. He found out that it is a common issue and Subaru refused to take care of it. He sold it when they moved to Japan and he still only lost about $1200 after owning it for two years.

In Japan, he bought a Japan-only 2005 Subaru Forester WRX STI that was lightly modded and put out 375hp. He loves it and took me for a ride. Very fun!

wZQc9vU1QZODdh_D8Qjj4A.jpg

When shopping for the CR-V, my brother and I were talking to the owner of C&T Used Cars in Moscow, who is a friend of our dad's.

He said that Subarus are stupid popular around here, but when he goes to auctions to get a couple, he has to factor in doing a head gasket and a couple of other minor things into the numbers.

He said with the CR-Vs and Rav4s, he just does fluid changes and they're good to go, but nearly every used Subaru needs a new head gasket and some minor things fixed before he puts them on his lot, so he's tried to avoid them.

Even my son-in-law, who is a Subaru fanboy, bought a mint 2011 Forester a few years ago with 40k miles on it and he noticed it was using oil. Like a quart every 1000 miles. He found out that it is a common issue and Subaru refused to take care of it. He sold it when they moved to Japan and he still only lost about $1200 after owning it for two years.

In Japan, he bought a Japan-only 2005 Subaru Forester WRX STI that was lightly modded and put out 375hp. He loves it and took me for a ride. Very fun!

View attachment 585305

Solid info. Thanks. A CR-V could definitly be a solid cheap 3rd vehicle option. ...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top