JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting media SPIN on the title. Looks like an A.D. but the reporter makes it sound as if some crazy gun owner pulled out a gun and shot a guy over a parking spot.

<broken link removed>
by David Krough

Posted on March 15, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Updated today at 5:13 PM

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- One man was hurt in a shooting in a fight over a parking spot at Vancouver Mall Monday, according to police.

Vancouver Police said it happened after noon near the Outback restaurant when two men got into an altercation over a parking spot and one pulled a gun.

Police said a man parking his motorcycle in a handicapped spot to talk to somebody. He was there only a few minutes

But then another man, who happened to be disabled, took offense to this and started to hit the man with a cane. That's when things got even crazier. The disabled man then accidentally shot himself in the leg.

"It's unknown at this time whether the gun was used or if it was on the person," Vancouver Police Commander George Delgado said. "We tend to believe the latter, the gun was on the person and when they hit the ground, the gun went off."

The injured man was taken to Southwest Washington medical Center for a non-life threatning would. No other details were released.

(KGW Reporter Mike Benner contributed to this story)

Is it me, or is the headline a bit misleading? I mean, yes, it's technically true in that one man was shot during a fight over a parking spot. But it is phrased in a way that suggests one man shot the other, as opposed to one man accidentally shot HIMSELF in the leg.

Is it me, or is the headline a bit misleading? I mean, yes, it's technically true in that one man was shot during a fight over a parking spot. But it is phrased in a way that suggests one man shot the other, as opposed to one man accidentally shot HIMSELF in the leg.

That was exactly my point.

I really hope the guy who shot himself wasnt a concealed-carry permit holder...the last thing we need is a loose cannon making the rest of us look bad.

Only have seen this on the news 3 times today:( The guy was not even parked in the actual spot his bike was in the striped area along the side of the parking spot. Old guy could have still parked in the spot and been fine. Moral of the story guy maybe should not have had a gun or maybe should learn when to take it out.

Next thing you know we will have armed seniors patroling the mall looking for people violating the parking laws:s0131:

News should have read:

"Vantuckey man shoots himself in leg after parking spot altercation."

That would have been more accurate and truthful if you were just browsing headlines.

never know the whole story but last night on the 10 oclock news they said the handicapped guy actually pulled the gun on the biker and it went off when they were struggling over the gun. Supposedly it just happened to be pointed at the handicapped guy when the trigger was activated. I am all for enforcing the laws but shooting someone over a parking space is truly stupid. Some folks, even the handicapped, just take stuff way too far. I sure hope the guy losses the gun and permit if he had one cause it doesn't sound like he makes good decisions for carrying.

Health dose of dumb edit here! They both should lose some free time to the state.!!! What part of no parking here is cloudy? Probably a Harly rider thinking he's a badedit. Most are lawyers, accountants, or Some Jr. executive thinking he's an outlaw. Greydog.

Health dose of dumb edit here! They both should lose some free time to the state.!!! What part of no parking here is cloudy? Probably a Harly rider thinking he's a badedit. Most are lawyers, accountants, or Some Jr. executive thinking he's an outlaw. Greydog.

Nice stereotyping of Harley riders (of which I am not one). And we complain as a firearms community when people stereotype gun owners as careless rednecks.

Sorry about the last post. Language is inexcuseable. Reguarding the profiling, having been a rider for 45 years, and having known several outlaw bikers, and knowing several current v twin riders, (pardon the run on sentence) the attitude in general is valid. Greydog.

Nice. My wife rides her own Harley. So do I.

We need to all learn to stay out of fights. Just walk away unless life or limb is in immediate danger and self defense is absolutely required. There are armed idiots out there. Also, if we're packing, we have a far greater responsibility. If we have a temper problem, we should reconsider carrying.

$.02

Wow, coming from a guy that lives in "peoples repubilik of Oregon", parking in a handicap spot deserves jail time?:confused:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top