JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I posted a thread on this very subject a few months ago. I do got a broad range of responses but for the most part an open bottle of powder is worth about $1.50 per ounce.
That being said I just had a gentleman buy 5 of the 8 open containers of powder I was gifted in a lot from a widow of a reloader. I saw where he had stored them and know they were in optimal condition.
If I had not seen that they were stored correctly, they would have been emptied a while back, I'm not risking anything to do with faulty reloading components.
I am taking your advice but as a buyer. I posted an ad in classifieds looking to buy powder (including partials) for up to $1.50 an ounce. I realize many here consider the open containers "lawn fertilizer" but given todays retail environment I am willing to take some calculated risk.

Edit: I am offering primer trade option too. Valuing primers for powder trade ratio will go something like this:

First I determine what I would pay in cash for powder being offered. Second I would find out what the primers would cost to immediately replace.
The math might look like this.
10oz of powder being offered to me. I would pay $1 an oz in cash. Primers replacement cost is $50 per thousand or 5 cents per primer. That would mean I would trade 200 primers for the 10ozs of powder.

Hows that for machinations.

Last Edited:
Good luck - it might end up costing you more than you think even if they were giving the powder away
I put my wallet on one side of the balance scale this morning and my risk tolerance on the other side. The risk tolerance won out. I may need that remote triggering device sooner rather than later.

Fellow I knew for many years was a big time reloading fan. He went in with friends to buy bulk powder and they split it up with him putting it in marked containers. After he died I bought some of these containers from the estate and haven't had a bit of problem using the powder.

So I know the value of an open container I use the cost per lb today and divide it by 7,000, the number of grains per lb. If all things check out then I buy it if it's a bargin.

Open container of powder...?

Speaking only for myself...
I would use it , only if it came from a trusted source.
I inherited some cans of GOEX Black Powder that were opened or old...but I knew and trusted the man where they came from.

With that said...I had a friend get a can of "Black Powder" , that was re-filled with smokeless ...the can was bought at a yard sale.
Luckily no harm was done.
Andy

Just a thought here with partial containers of powders....

Maybe gift them to friends , so they can try a given brand or type , then they don't have to buy a can of something that won't work for their firearm....this assumes that your friends trust you...:eek: :D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR