JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So for those wondering about life in the mountain west, I thought I would post a brief review of life in Utah vs the PNW. Starting with pros / cons compared to Oregon / Washington. Though this mostly applies to Utah, some of the discussion will apply to ID, MT, WY as well.

Pros:

- All of these states are constitutional carry, no need to worry if you have your permit if you can already legally carry a gun, it doesn't matter if it's under your shirt or not. Oregon it's technically a crime to carry in public without your permit.
- Epic place for the outdoors man / woman... my impression of a good number of people here is that they are "dyed in the wool" outdoors people. You will find both men and women in the outdoors enjoying fishing, hiking, hunting, etc. Some of the best trout rivers in the world are in Northern Utah, ID, and MT.
- Low unemployment. Utah has the second lowest unemployment rate in the nation, outside of Salt Lake City life is pretty safe, people work hard and want to be self sufficient if at all possible.
- Out of ID, MY, WY, and UT; Utah has more services in the region in terms of healthcare, shopping, jobs etc. Tech people, look into Lehi, UT...
- You will find far fewer weirdos here, than in Oregon or Washington.
- The politically leadership has been squarely opposed to the Covid mandates, including the Attorney Generals filing suit on a number of occasions.

Cons:

- The housing boom has been going on for a while, and continues. Expect to pay far more than people could have imagined 4 years ago for a property.
- The lack of water is big deal, Utah is the second driest state in the nation. I don't go anywhere without a gallon of water in the car. The water is also very hard, so to be comfortable in the winter you'll need at least some humidifiers if not a whole home humidifier, as well as a water softener system.
- Despite this lack of water, the population influx continues...
- This is not a place for foodies; if you have a passion for cuisine you will have to search long and hard for that gourmet meal compared to the west coast. For some people this isn't a big deal.
- People drive faster and more dangerously than the PNW,, though I feel like PNW drivers are pretty passive. I feel this is actually more "normal" considering living in most of the United States
- During the Winter the pollution can get pretty bad, like LA due to the pressure inversions that happen.

All in all there are plenty of good places in the region to move, if I were a little younger, single, I might consider somewhere in Wyoming actually, near Jackson Hole... or someplace less crowded in Montana. Hope that helps someone evaluate what it's like living somewhere east...

Thank you.

I have been through UT a lot in the last few years. My impressions are similar to your observations. Great confirmation.

I am not a desert person but I really like the Moab area. I think it might be a great part time place once i leave the 9-5 world.
Bryce Canyon is another area that I love.

Cons: Mormons

Utah is a beautiful state, but I could never live there because of the mormons. Their influence is everywhere, and if you moved there, you would be living in "their" state.

Cons: Mormons

Utah is a beautiful state, but I could never live there because of the mormons. Their influence is everywhere, and if you moved there, you would be living in "their" state.
The dry air is really the hardest thing to deal with, I haven't been much impacted by LDS church...

Having lived in Reno most of my life, high desert doesn't appeal to me at all. Lack of water doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Watching water levels in the bigger water sources for these areas go further dry each year only creates more reasons to be glad about leaving that climate.

Climate change isn't a threat to those water sources, it's people. Lots of people. Those areas are not suited for more people. They were on decline with those that existed 10 years ago, now they are strained even more.

I moved to water, life needs water.

I would be curious to hear the main 1-3 reasons you left OR @kbf64 ?

Having lived in Reno most of my life, high desert doesn't appeal to me at all. Lack of water doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Watching water levels in the bigger water sources for these areas go further dry each year only creates more reasons to be glad about leaving that climate.

Climate change isn't a threat to those water sources, it's people. Lots of people. Those areas are not suited for more people. They were on decline with those that existed 10 years ago, now they are strained even more.

I moved to water, life needs water.

I would be curious to hear the main 1-3 reasons you left OR @kbf64 ?
Lockdown policies during covid
Rampant crime in the cities
Homeless camps everywhere, even bleeding into the suburbs

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR