JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking at buying my first rifle suppressor, I found a distributor that has them in stock but they also have a few police trade in units of the can I'm interested in at a nearly 30% discount. The website says less than 200 rounds went through each and they come with the QD brake, but the guy on the phone said they don't promise that there's a brake and they don't know how many rounds each has but they are perfectly serviceable.

For the discount I can easily buy a brake and still come in cheaper than a new one but I wouldn't get the original box and literature. Think it's worth it?

Depends on which can they're selling.
Buying your first can generally takes a lot of soul searching on which one will give you the most benefits vs. the cost.
The waiting time to receive the stamp and the extra $200.00 to the ATF is the same no matter what you buy.

So I'm looking at buying my first rifle suppressor, I found a distributor that has them in stock but they also have a few police trade in units of the can I'm interested in at a nearly 30% discount. The website says less than 200 rounds went through each and they come with the QD brake, but the guy on the phone said they don't promise that there's a brake and they don't know how many rounds each has but they are perfectly serviceable.

For the discount I can easily buy a brake and still come in cheaper than a new one but I wouldn't get the original box and literature. Think it's worth it?

I would question this.... how many LEO's do you think would ONLY put a couple hundred rounds through one? I'd guess closer to a couple thousand rounds. And that is LEO ammo (HV rounds?). The website site says they come with a brake, but a guy on the phone can't guarantee they come with one?

Without physically inspecting the one you are purchasing, I'd lean towards just buying new. Do they have warranties and are the warranties transferrable to you?

For "only" a 30% savings, to me, things just don't add up..... :oops:

Personally I would not buy a used suppressor. Like @AMT mentioned I can't imagine that there are not thousands of rounds down the pipe. On something that I have to wait on and pay the gooberment $200 to own. Believe me I will be the first one to put my hands on it.

I emailed Dead Air and asked and they said they have a lifetime warranty regardless of what happened to them before. But the potentially high round count is concerning. If they could inspect them and verify if it comes with a brake I might consider it for the $230 savings.

Curt's Discount Shooters Supply gives you a free brake or flash hider suppressor adapter when you buy a can from them, or at least they did when I bought all of mine awhile ago.

I emailed Dead Air and asked and they said they have a lifetime warranty regardless of what happened to them before. But the potentially high round count is concerning. If they could inspect them and verify if it comes with a brake I might consider it for the $230 savings.

If you could send it to Dead Air for a complete go-through for a very nominal fee to ensure everything is good on it (and replace anything that is not ;)) then a $230 savings by buying used might be worth it.

:s0155:

If it were me I'd just buy new and call it good. The paperwork, wait times, and two c-notes imposed by the BS law make the used market less appealing for cans. I remember when we started buy silencers, I looking into used ones, but the savings just weren't enough.

Regarding the Dead Air warranty, that sounds good. One thing to check would be who is paying shipping. An unlicensed person cannot send a silencer via the postal system, so you are stuck paying UPS' rates. If you are paying to, from, or both, that is going eat into that savings fast.

Best of luck. :)

If it were me I'd just buy new and call it good. The paperwork, wait times, and two c-notes imposed by the BS law make the used market less appealing for cans. I remember when we started buy silencers, I looking into used ones, but the savings just were enough.

Regarding the Dead Air warranty, that sounds good. One thing to check would be who is paying shipping. An unlicensed person cannot send a silencer via the postal system, so you are stuck paying UPS' rates. If you are paying to, from, or both, that is going eat into that savings fast.

Best of luck. :)
The seller is a dealer, they have them in stock, so it looks to be $25 to my FFL who will hold it until it's approved

After you wait a year for the stamp you won't remember or feel that extra $230 at all.

I would buy new, have bought new, and will only buy new. And im someone who has NO problems buying used guns and accessories

From where?
From Gun Pro Deals.

They're currently out of stock, but they have some great sales from time to time. Recent sales have been around $650, iirc.

I checked the other usual dealers, and all are $829 at the moment. If you can wait until Black Friday, there are usually some good sales. Last year, Gamaliel had a 15% Off sale on all suppressors for Black Friday. Brownell's is another good place to check, especially when they run a 10% Off discount code. That alone would knock the price down below $750.

The Sandman-S is an amazing suppressor, and I absolutely love mine, but if you're focused on cost you might check out the YHM Resonator. It's less than $400 from Lanbo's Armory.

Hope this helps!

From Gun Pro Deals.

They're currently out of stock, but they have some great sales from time to time. Recent sales have been around $650, iirc.

I checked the other usual dealers, and all are $829 at the moment. If you can wait until Black Friday, there are usually some good sales. Last year, Gamaliel had a 15% Off sale on all suppressors for Black Friday. Brownell's is another good place to check, especially when they run a 10% Off discount code. That alone would knock the price down below $750.

The Sandman-S is an amazing suppressor, and I absolutely love mine, but if you're focused on cost you might check out the YHM Resonator. It's less than $400 from Lanbo's Armory.

Hope this helps!
Thank you, I'm dead set of the Sandman at this point, I'm just trying to find the best price before I buy. Tombstone tactical shows it for $707 but it's 8-12 week eta ordered straight from Dead Air it sounds like. Might call and see what's up with that.

I've looked at Tombstone Tactical before, but their prices almost seem too good to be true. Has anyone here dealt with them before?

I'd say Brownell's might be your safest bet, though they're out of stock at the moment too. You'll also have to wait for a good discount code.

Good choice on the Sandman-S, by the way! I did a LOT of research before I purchased, and it is definitely one of the better cans on the market. Their mounting system is awesome, too!

Have you had a chance to see or hear one in person? If not, I'd be happy to meet you at Tri-County sometime for a demo.

I was going for a Chimera from Silencerco but basically all the reviews I keep seeing is stay away from the threaded QD mounts on any brand not just SiCo which lead me to Dead Air and after researching them they are probably the best out there.

Oh and SiCo won't call me or my FFL back re the SPEQ discount so I'm not going to do business with them anymore.

The only rifle cans I've heard in person are a YHM thread on which my dealer installed on my gun to let me try and a Saker 7.62 on a Scar H.

DSG told me they military discount is $707 so that makes me think Tombstone is just offering everyone the Mil/LE discount.

I'd love to come and hear the Sandman! I'd also love to check out Tri-county, wish I'd signed up before the waiting list...

If DSG is $707 with discount, that's the way I'd go. DSG is a great company to deal with, and I'll never forget how they held their pricing on ALL Pmag backorders after Sandy Hook.

The Chimera can use the Dead Air Key-Mo mount, but it would add another $225 to the cost. You're also not the first person to have trouble getting ahold of SiCo; there have been many reports recently of 5+ week waits for a response from Customer Service.

The newer YHM mount is another incredible design, and rivals the Dead Air mount for durability and simplicity. I do think Dead Air has the best muzzle brake in the industry, though. Their flash hiders also don't ping like the older SiCo versions did.

As far as a demo, just let me know when you're available. The weekends are busy at Tri-County due to their Hunter Site-In, but the 100 yard range is open until 9:00pm even on week nights. I'm also not opposed to traveling a bit, if you have a better range in mind. Just let me know what works for you.

If DSG is $707 with discount, that's the way I'd go. DSG is a great company to deal with, and I'll never forget how they held their pricing on ALL Pmag backorders after Sandy Hook.

The Chimera can use the Dead Air Key-Mo mount, but it would add another $225 to the cost. You're also not the first person to have trouble getting ahold of SiCo; there have been many reports recently of 5+ week waits for a response from Customer Service.

The newer YHM mount is another incredible design, and rivals the Dead Air mount for durability and simplicity. I do think Dead Air has the best muzzle brake in the industry, though. Their flash hiders also don't ping like the older SiCo versions did.

As far as a demo, just let me know when you're available. The weekends are busy at Tri-County due to their Hunter Site-In, but the 100 yard range is open until 9:00pm even on week nights. I'm also not opposed to traveling a bit, if you have a better range in mind. Just let me know what works for you.
I'm applying for the DSG discount as we speak. As I read their website it's only active Military/LE, but Dead Air says they think it's Veterans too or at least it should be. So we'll see what they say.

I work swing so if we can do a weekday morning that works otherwise any weekend you want, as far as "other ranges" I go out in the woods. I avoid paying to go places as much as possible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top