JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, for a start, the industry calls these powder "measures" when actually they are powder meters. They don't measure anything, they meter our set amounts of powder. But we all know them loosely as measures. Got that out of the way.

My main powder measure for 34 years has been an RCBS Uniflow model. Recently, I bought a quantity of estate reloading gear. In that batch were three powder measures, one being a like new RCBS Little Dandy. I've been aware of the Little Dandy for years, never thought much of it, taking fixed charge rotors as it does. Small powder reservoir. But, since I already had this one (came with three rotors), I decided it might be good for charging pistol cartridges. I bought ten or twelve more rotors (cost a fortune); you can charge in more that one pass if you can't get a rotor in the exact charge for your applications but I don't think my requirements are that exacting. Not to mention dumping out the powder, changing the rotor, and refilling with powder. They make number 00 and 0 rotors for very small charge increments.

The acquisition of the Little Dandy is just a lead-in to my discovery. In installing a rotor into the Little Dandy, I placed the finger wheel on the right side. When I started charging cases in a loading block, it felt very backwards. Then I looked at my old Uniflow powder measure that I'd been using for decades. When I originally set that up, I placed the throw handle on the left side. All these years, I've been throwing with my left hand and holding the loading block (or individual cases) in my right hand. I guess I'll continue to do it that way.

Maybe I have my measure in the "wrong" place in relation to the press. On my bench, I have an open work space in front of me. The press is mounted to my right; the powder measure is located to the left of the open space. That way, I can charge the cases on the left; the scale, loose bullets and charging block are in the middle (open space); and the press is on the right. It seems like a logical order of progression to me.

I'm naturally right dominant but there is one other thing I do left-handed. No, not that one. My wife made this observation, which I never thought about. I wipe my butt left-handed, always have and don't know how that got started. My wife is a perfectionist, she says I do it "wrong." I say if it works, it isn't wrong. Touché.

I am also right handed, but I have my powder measure handle on the right side, and I also used to mount it to the bench on the left side. Now i use a chargemaster that lives on the left side of the bench, and the rare times i use a manual powder measure it is mounted on a swingarm on my press stand so it is right in front of me.

Okay, for a start, the industry calls these powder "measures" when actually they are powder meters. They don't measure anything, they meter our set amounts of powder. But we all know them loosely as measures. Got that out of the way.

My main powder measure for 34 years has been an RCBS Uniflow model. Recently, I bought a quantity of estate reloading gear. In that batch were three powder measures, one being a like new RCBS Little Dandy. I've been aware of the Little Dandy for years, never thought much of it, taking fixed charge rotors as it does. Small powder reservoir. But, since I already had this one (came with three rotors), I decided it might be good for charging pistol cartridges. I bought ten or twelve more rotors (cost a fortune); you can charge in more that one pass if you can't get a rotor in the exact charge for your applications but I don't think my requirements are that exacting. Not to mention dumping out the powder, changing the rotor, and refilling with powder. They make number 00 and 0 rotors for very small charge increments.

The acquisition of the Little Dandy is just a lead-in to my discovery. In installing a rotor into the Little Dandy, I placed the finger wheel on the right side. When I started charging cases in a loading block, it felt very backwards. Then I looked at my old Uniflow powder measure that I'd been using for decades. When I originally set that up, I placed the throw handle on the left side. All these years, I've been throwing with my left hand and holding the loading block (or individual cases) in my right hand. I guess I'll continue to do it that way.

Maybe I have my measure in the "wrong" place in relation to the press. On my bench, I have an open work space in front of me. The press is mounted to my right; the powder measure is located to the left of the open space. That way, I can charge the cases on the left; the scale, loose bullets and charging block are in the middle (open space); and the press is on the right. It seems like a logical order of progression to me.

I'm naturally right dominant but there is one other thing I do left-handed. No, not that one. My wife made this observation, which I never thought about. I wipe my butt left-handed, always have and don't know how that got started. My wife is a perfectionist, she says I do it "wrong." I say if it works, it isn't wrong. Touché.
It was just another story in the life of reloading until paragraph five. Funny stuff, quite the fetish you two have. bahabaha!

Feel better now??? :p:)

Whoa, TMI. TMIIIIII. TMMMMMMMI. BTW my wife ain't around when I'm doin business. Butt yes, once I had a shoulder injury and life became very difficult. It's harder than switching bathrooms!! I identify with right-wipers. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I'm tall so years ago, I bought the cast aluminum stand for my RCBS Uniflow powder measure, since I don't mount it on a press. It's mounted on a piece of 1x4, I can move it around but like I said before, it's normally at my left side of the bench. Then recently along came the Little Dandy rig. I figured I'd use that on a stand, too. But of course, I didn't want to go to the trouble of dismounting the Uniflow from the stand to use same on the Little Dandy, hence, I sent to Midway for another stand. Well, it isn't the same as the old one. In the fine print that I didn't see and therefore did not read, it says, "Not for Little Dandy." Back to Midway it went, I must say their return service is pretty refined including return shipping label via UPS which is discounted.

Anyway, the need for a stand was still there. So I looked around online, discovered that Lee now makes a steel powder measure stand, pretty reasonably priced. I sent away for one of those, it came, very hefty. It will sit on the bench with a measure mounted to it by itself, doesn't really need to be clamped down or bolted if that's your thing. It's lot quite as high as the original RCBS that I have but will work nicely.

Righty or lefty. I had more to say about that as it applies to posterior cleansing function, trying to stay out of trouble with the moderators.

Consistency is the key word. Since you are used to using the "wrong hand", just stick with it. Being a lefty, but sort of ambidextrous (shoot and swing BB bat right, but write and throw left), I gotta use whatever is available. Easy enough to adapt to right handed tools, as that is what I have had to use so far. I think the Lee Classic Cast Press allows right/left switching of the handle, even if the press opening is biased for right handers.

The wiping thing is a bit TMI for me too, but I do have to comment that it's the norm in some cultures. Do your cleaning up with the (dirty) left hand, and eat with the (clean) right hand. I've been told that it's considered rude to offer your left hand to shake, to someone of Middle-Eastern descent.

There, now you can tell your wife that she's the one doing it wrong. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top