JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
upload_2016-10-18_9-9-16.png

Even credit cards are becoming like that.

I have a Sportsmans Warehouse Visa by US Bank and it has on the phone app location services to ensure that if you use it outside of your home area you won't be blocked.

No I have that service/function tuned off.

I had this happen with my brokerage account Visa card while I was in Canada. It's a problem created by Visa being extremely paranoid. The banks associated with the cards have no control over it.

A few years ago I bought concert tickets from Ticketmaster for a show in BC, Canada... even though I bought the tix from home, used my own pc, etc. that was enough for them to lock my account, send fraud alerts, and so on. I've also been to China and withdrew cash from Chinese ATM's and never heard a peep from my bank. Weird.

I've had issues with my debit and credit cards when traveling for the last 10 years. I've frequently called and told my cerdit card company what state I'll be in and for how long so if fraudulent charges appear after I'm already home they'll be automatically blocked. The last few years I haven't called but I also haven't had any issues either.

One of my friends got really lucky. He happened to be traveling in California when his card was used at a local Best Buy to buy a ton of stuff. Of course it was his DEBIT card. It was very easy for him to prove it was not him making the purchases in person but please, do not use your debit card for anything except at an ATM. His bank did completely lock him out of his checking account for a few weeks too.

I've twice experienced credit card identity theft, presumably by a dishonest business employee. Both times were caught by the credit card company while I was still on the road. They called my cell phone to verify and, in both cases, sent a new credit card overnight delivery to my hotel. I always alert my credit card company if I'm going out of the country or on an out-of-state trip that is over a week long.

They have years of buying history on me, so I don't get a call if I purchase ammo out-of-state or I'm paying for gas, meals and hotels in other states - but I do get a verification call if an order is placed for $129 worth of vaping products.

Something interesting to note here guys/gals..

A lot of CC fraud happens for $2-5 and most it goes unnoticed. Twice the wife had charges by a hair salon in NJ for $3.99. Each time on a different card that had been cancelled due to this event before.

They will cut you a thousand times and get more than one big event. Always look at statements online.

Thats why I Love my Capital one card. If I use it anywhere out of my area they send me an email asking me to verify the purchase. All you have to do is say its good or fraudulent. They take care of the rest.

I do a lot of travel both State side and Abroad, I find it helps if I tell my card company's when and where I will be traveling. The only times I have ever had any trouble was two fraudulent charges at Home Depot in my home town, and both charges were under $5:00! I think one was for $1:89 and the other was $3:40 something. Both times, My card was replaced with in 24 hours, and I got a printed statement next day from my card co. I also got a $25 gift card from Depot for the trouble, and I hadn't even contacted the store, it just showed up in the mail a few days later!

I also travel extensively abroad. and i have to notify my atm card bank so it functions when i want to withdraw money overseas.if I dont tell them, i run the risk of not being able to get money out of a atm machine . its a hassle, but it helps protect me from fraud should my account get hacked. I dont mind, as the U.S. government knows I'm traveling as soon as I check in for my flight. foreign governments know i am coming due to visa requirements of each host country. cant escape it. that being said,, its really weird that your bank would require you to notify if you leave your STATE…..

About three years ago when I was in the middle of the Mt. Hood National Forest deer hunting my cell phone rang... WTH?!! o_O (Go VERIZON!!! .. Yes, I CAN here you NOW!)

It was the Credit Union letting me know they killed my debit card due to a $250 purchase @ WalMart, then a second $250 purchase 5 minutes latter... in Athens, KY. I told them my current status/location, had a LOL moment with them and they proceeded to set my account back to wholeness.

I lauded them to high-heaven with praises of the great job they did. They were a bit surprised, because most people they deal with are rude and mean to them because of the "hassle"... like it's their fault & not the thief's. :rolleyes:

Anyway, me and the wife hop around the States and Australia more "frequently than most", so we ALWAYS register a general travel notice with our card issuers with the effective date ranges when we go outside of OR, or WA. In this day & age of massive fraud, it's the only way to roll. ;)

They're not doing you any favors. They are the ones who are on the hook for fraudulent charges. I have had several instances of identity theft in the last year. As nearly as I can determine all of it comes from me stupidly applying for a Home Depot credit card in order to get a discount on a very large purchase. Of course their system was hacked and now my information is out there everywhere. It really pisses me off when they act like it's my fault and I'm trying to scam them when I report a bad charge.

Yes, they're doing a CYA move, but they're also doing me a favor when it's my checking account getting hacked and they stop it before my funds are cleaned out and set off a cascading chain of events like over drafts, NSF charges from merchants, and late payment penalties/credit rating reports from other credit cards that I'd have to spend my time (worth $120/hr) and endure the stress of chasing up.... that's a win-win IMHO ;)

Thats why I Love my Capital one card. If I use it anywhere out of my area they send me an email asking me to verify the purchase. All you have to do is say its good or fraudulent. They take care of the rest.
Typically only use capital one when I travel outside the US of A. And for exactly this reason. They do actually monitor and are simple enough to deal with...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top