JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
U.S. Murders: All 13,636; Hands and Feet 801; Assault Rifles: less than 348

It is often said that guns, particularly assault rifles, are designed for one thing, and one thing only: to kill lots of people.

Assault rifles in the United States are failing miserably in this purpose. There are tens of millions of assault rifles in America. Because the definition of an assault rifle has been rather fuzzy, the number can be said to be anywhere from 10 million to 30 million. Of those, the AR-15 type is fairly common with numbers between 5 and 10 million.

The FBI murder statistics do not differentiate between types of rifles. There are about 100 million rifles in the United States. In 2009, the last year in which numbers have been reported, there were 13,636 murders. Guns were used to murder 9,146 people. Hands and feet were used to murder 801 people. Blunt objects were used to murder 611 people. Rifles were used to murder 348 people, and that is all rifles, of which assault rifles are only a small fraction. Assault rifles are used so infrequently in homicides that many police departments almost never see them; in 2009, there were nine states that did not have a single murder committed with any rifle. "

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of those killings with rifles occurred in liberal, gun hating cities. LA, Chicago, Detroit.

Apologies for being blunt, but without data to back that up all you're doing is presenting prejudices as information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Considering they don't define "assault rifle", and that category covers *ALL* rifles, I'd be willing to bet the number with a fully-automatic or select-fire rifle are near-zero over the past 15 years.

I'd also assume (all disclaimers about assumptions apply,) that most of the rifle deaths WEREN'T in gun-unfriendly cities. Gang members don't use rifles, they use handguns. I'd be willing to wager that more than 60% of all rifle murders were in rural areas, where rifle carrying is more common.

semiautomatic rifles in the "ar platform"are refered to as "assult rifles"when someone wants to ban them...
someone who has no concept of an automatic "assult rifle"versus an "semiauto in ar platform"rifle uses
the assult name to make it sound like only a person intending to kill people would need to own an "assult rifle."
when infact the "semiauto ar platfom"still only fires 1 shot per trigger pull just as a handgun or hunting rifle
the only difference is less recoil due to the bolt cycling of a semiauto ar platform and the convenience of not having to cycle a bolt when in prone position whereas a hunting rifle has to be manually ejected and reloaded.

using the term "assult rifle"works against gun owners by giving them a nasty sounding term for an otherwise
very restricted rifle platform.

when you say "assult rifle"picture 800 rounds per minute being violently sprayed down range.
whe you picture "ar platform rifles"picture a pop,pop,pop effect.
it makes me cringe to hear people refer to ar15's,ar10's,ak47's as "assult rifles"when infact to own an "assult rifle"you have to have a special license ok'ed by the atf.
if you want ar's banned all you have to do is keep calling them assult rifles and the uneducated haters of the second ammendment and constitution will do the rest.

Like it would've been any prettier a picture if Holmes had used a nine-shot Mossy loaded with 15-pellet 00.

There's no question that the "assault rifle" canard is based on fear and lies. You know, the .22LR kills an enormous number of people every year! There's no inherently safe (or dangerous) rifle, so why ban the AR and not the Mini14?

Because, obviously, it's not about "protecting" citizens. Draw your own conclusions.

I'd also assume (all disclaimers about assumptions apply,) that most of the rifle deaths WEREN'T in gun-unfriendly cities. Gang members don't use rifles, they use handguns. I'd be willing to wager that more than 60% of all rifle murders were in rural areas, where rifle carrying is more common.

Do a search for drive-by-shooting and AK-47. Lotsa hits. I couldn't find any national data on the volume of drive-by shootings but the majority seems to occur in large cities with gang problems. Like LA, Chicago and Detroit.

Do a search for drive-by-shooting and AK-47. Lotsa hits.

That's because to the journalists writing those stories, ALL guns were identified as "AK-47"s.

journalist-firearm-identification.jpg

semiautomatic rifles in the "ar platform"are refered to as "assult rifles"when someone wants to ban them...
someone who has no concept of an automatic "assult rifle"versus an "semiauto in ar platform"rifle uses
the assult name to make it sound like only a person intending to kill people would need to own an "assult rifle."
when infact the "semiauto ar platfom"still only fires 1 shot per trigger pull just as a handgun or hunting rifle
the only difference is less recoil due to the bolt cycling of a semiauto ar platform and the convenience of not having to cycle a bolt when in prone position whereas a hunting rifle has to be manually ejected and reloaded.

using the term "assult rifle"works against gun owners by giving them a nasty sounding term for an otherwise
very restricted rifle platform.

when you say "assult rifle"picture 800 rounds per minute being violently sprayed down range.
whe you picture "ar platform rifles"picture a pop,pop,pop effect.
it makes me cringe to hear people refer to ar15's,ar10's,ak47's as "assult rifles"when infact to own an "assult rifle"you have to have a special license ok'ed by the atf.
if you want ar's banned all you have to do is keep calling them assult rifles and the uneducated haters of the second ammendment and constitution will do the rest.
"Modern Sporting Rifle" is the correct term to use rather than the totally incorrect "Assault Rifle" name that the lamestream media uses to confuse readers!

STOP ASSAULTING US WITH FACTS

We prefer emotions and drama

How about some more facts then?
If the government REALLY wanted to save lives they need to limit medical mistakes and limit access to motor vehicles.

Deaths from avoidable medical error more than double in past decade, investigation shows

"The total number of iatrogenic deaths shown in the following table is 783,936. It is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States"

From: Medical system is leading cause of death and injury in US - Health Supreme

"Of the total 323,993 deaths among Medicare patients in those years who developed one or more patient-safety incidents, 263,864, or 81 percent, of these deaths were directly attributable to the incident(s)."

From: In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA

"In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents in the US. There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents."

"In the U.S. for 2006, there were 30,896 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 16,883; Homicide 12,791; Accident 642; Legal Intervention 360; Undetermined 220."

FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Like it would've been any prettier a picture if Holmes had used a nine-shot Mossy loaded with 15-pellet 00.

There's no question that the "assault rifle" canard is based on fear and lies. You know, the .22LR kills an enormous number of people every year! There's no inherently safe (or dangerous) rifle, so why ban the AR and not the Mini14?

Because, obviously, it's not about "protecting" citizens. Draw your own conclusions.

Have you read any of the actual news stories. Holmes started with his AR15 which jammed after just a few rounds and he switched to using his Remington 870. I read a blog from a girl who her and her girlfriend were a couple of the first people hit and the first to get out. She had multiple wounds from a shotgun as did her friend who shielded her from the shotgun blast.

Almost all the damage done in the event was from the shotgun.

Have you read any of the actual news stories. Holmes started with his AR15 which jammed after just a few rounds and he switched to using his Remington 870. I read a blog from a girl who her and her girlfriend were a couple of the first people hit and the first to get out. She had multiple wounds from a shotgun as did her friend who shielded her from the shotgun blast.

Almost all the damage done in the event was from the shotgun.

No, I didn't read the latest stories - sorry. I saw the first news tidbits and knew that they'd be editing and revising and retracting as fast as they wrote the stories to begin with.

What I saw in the first reports was that he had "sprayed" his AR and then it jammed in the midst of a 100-round aftermarket mag.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top