Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

UPIN on ATF 4473 Form

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by Osarion, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Osarion

Osarion Snohomish County, WA Well-Known Member

Have a few questions on this if anyone knows from their own experience.

How does one obtain this UPIN and would it help prevent denials/delays due to identity mixups?
    So far I haven't been delayed or denied, but thinking this might help avoid some issues I've seen other users have to deal with.

I have zero criminal record, save for a trespass citation for being on a beach after hours when I was just out of high school (and the beach's sign was very badly covered by a bush, should have fought that crap but oh well).

Also, do most people here put their SSN on the 4473? Is there a noticeable difference in delay/deny when doing this?

2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

Not sure what a UPIN is so I'm not any help there.
    As for my SSN I'll put it down.
    My name is fairly common and after being in the service I'm not too worried about my number being known as mine on a government form.
    I haven't yet had a deny and only one long delay . ( clean living I guess , and knock on wood LOL )
    Andy

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Check out this video explaining the process.

Osarion likes this.
  4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

UPIN is a Unique Person Identification Number that can be assigned to you (after you are vetted) if you request one, but there are members on this forum who STILL get delayed on occasion, like @IronMonster (I believe).

mjbskwim and AndyinEverson like this.
  5. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Nope, not me. I dont have a UPIN. I applied for one several years ago and was denied (long story short I had the UPIN and an appeal both pending both were denied, I had to get my lawyer involved to overturn the appeal denial and at the time they told me that since my other issues were resolved I would not need a UPIN, which was a flat out lie as even with the letter from the FBI stating I was good to go my next transaction was denied as well) I have since applied a second time for a UPIN, about 7 months ago. I got a letter back stating it was taking around 12 months for them to review new applications.

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Contact the county courthouse where you had the citation issued and apply for a judge to purge your record.
    It's generally around $125.00 to apply and should help with delays in the future.

Osarion likes this.
  7. IronMonster

My experience has been that once you are in the FBI system is is almost impossible to get info removed or updated even with a team of high priced lawyers. I am currently in the beginning stages of a lawsuit against the FBI because I have spent years and many thousands of dollars trying to get them to update records and finally my attorney suggested the only recourse was to file a lawsuit. They are not overly helpful folks with much concern for the average citizen, there is no process in place for challenging incorrect information. All my issues would go away if they would simply update my file, instead about one out of every three transactions I have to pay an attorney to fight the same battle over and over. I have easily spent $15,000 fighting the ATF and FBI in the last 5 years. What choice do you have but to fight though? Its either roll over and let them deny your rights or fight.

The Courier likes this.
  8. Osarion

If you don't mind my asking, what's causing the hold ups?

9. IronMonster

I do mind you asking and it's irrelevant

What matters is I am 100% legal to own a firearm and have been repeatedly denied my 2nd amendment rights.

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I still suspect it was that unfortunate episode you had of walking down the middle of the I-5 corridor wearing that pink tu-tu and rhinestone pasties during rush-hour traffic. ;)

:D

11. IronMonster

Nope, They made a lot of fun of me for that one though.

If you must know many many moons ago I had a drug charge which I received a full and unconditional pardon for, The Governor himself signed the paperwork.

So even though long ago I had quite a number of minor transgressions and a few that were not so minor I actually now have a perfectly spotless record as far as the courts are concerned. A pardon is a restoration of innocence, not simply an expungement or dismissal

I have been drug free for 18 years on August 3rd

Happy?

12. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Yes. Congrats on that.

13. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have a UPIN (Unique Physician Identifier Number). I thought for a second I could use it on the 4473. Boy that would be handy if it was the case

14. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

I have one too, although with NPI numbers now I wonder if UPINs are still valid?
    Per the FBI website, it doesn't look like UPINs help much anyway:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Osarion likes this.
  15. Osarion

That is.... exactly what I was wondering. Thanks for the replies all.

16. bgdawgrr

bgdawgrr Washington Member

I have not been delayed since getting a UPIN. It was rare when I got it as my V0 is under 100 lol.

17. Osarion

V0?

18. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I have yet to enter my SSN on a 4437. I don't trust anyone.

19. Osarion

I did, I admit for my two purchases so far but felt EXTREMELY uneasy about it. My name isn't exactly common in the way it's spelled but didn't want to get a delay/deny. I'm thinking next time I'll just leave it to chance maybe and see what happens.

Dyjital likes this.