JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have a few questions on this if anyone knows from their own experience.

How does one obtain this UPIN and would it help prevent denials/delays due to identity mixups?
So far I haven't been delayed or denied, but thinking this might help avoid some issues I've seen other users have to deal with.

I have zero criminal record, save for a trespass citation for being on a beach after hours when I was just out of high school (and the beach's sign was very badly covered by a bush, should have fought that crap but oh well).

Also, do most people here put their SSN on the 4473? Is there a noticeable difference in delay/deny when doing this?

Not sure what a UPIN is so I'm not any help there.
As for my SSN I'll put it down.
My name is fairly common and after being in the service I'm not too worried about my number being known as mine on a government form.
I haven't yet had a deny and only one long delay . ( clean living I guess , and knock on wood LOL )
Andy

Nope, not me. I dont have a UPIN. I applied for one several years ago and was denied (long story short I had the UPIN and an appeal both pending both were denied, I had to get my lawyer involved to overturn the appeal denial and at the time they told me that since my other issues were resolved I would not need a UPIN, which was a flat out lie as even with the letter from the FBI stating I was good to go my next transaction was denied as well) I have since applied a second time for a UPIN, about 7 months ago. I got a letter back stating it was taking around 12 months for them to review new applications.

Contact the county courthouse where you had the citation issued and apply for a judge to purge your record.
It's generally around $125.00 to apply and should help with delays in the future.

My experience has been that once you are in the FBI system is is almost impossible to get info removed or updated even with a team of high priced lawyers. I am currently in the beginning stages of a lawsuit against the FBI because I have spent years and many thousands of dollars trying to get them to update records and finally my attorney suggested the only recourse was to file a lawsuit. They are not overly helpful folks with much concern for the average citizen, there is no process in place for challenging incorrect information. All my issues would go away if they would simply update my file, instead about one out of every three transactions I have to pay an attorney to fight the same battle over and over. I have easily spent $15,000 fighting the ATF and FBI in the last 5 years. What choice do you have but to fight though? Its either roll over and let them deny your rights or fight.

My experience has been that once you are in the FBI system is is almost impossible to get info removed or updated even with a team of high priced lawyers. I am currently in the beginning stages of a lawsuit against the FBI because I have spent years and many thousands of dollars trying to get them to update records and finally my attorney suggested the only recourse was to file a lawsuit. They are not overly helpful folks with much concern for the average citizen, there is no process in place for challenging incorrect information. All my issues would go away if they would simply update my file, instead about one out of every three transactions I have to pay an attorney to fight the same battle over and over. I have easily spent $15,000 fighting the ATF and FBI in the last 5 years. What choice do you have but to fight though? Its either roll over and let them deny your rights or fight.
If you don't mind my asking, what's causing the hold ups?

Nope, They made a lot of fun of me for that one though.

If you must know many many moons ago I had a drug charge which I received a full and unconditional pardon for, The Governor himself signed the paperwork.

So even though long ago I had quite a number of minor transgressions and a few that were not so minor I actually now have a perfectly spotless record as far as the courts are concerned. A pardon is a restoration of innocence, not simply an expungement or dismissal

I have been drug free for 18 years on August 3rd

Happy?

I have a UPIN (Unique Physician Identifier Number). I thought for a second I could use it on the 4473. Boy that would be handy if it was the case
I have one too, although with NPI numbers now I wonder if UPINs are still valid?
Per the FBI website, it doesn't look like UPINs help much anyway:

• Once I get my UPIN, does that mean I will never be delayed or denied a firearm purchase again?Entry into the VAF will not automatically result in a proceed response on subsequent firearm purchases. A complete NICS check is still required and will result in a denial or delay if additional prohibitive or potentially prohibitive information is discovered.

Last Edited:
Have a few questions on this if anyone knows from their own experience.

Also, do most people here put their SSN on the 4473? Is there a noticeable difference in delay/deny when doing this?
I have yet to enter my SSN on a 4437. I don't trust anyone.

I have yet to enter my SSN on a 4437. I don't trust anyone.

I did, I admit for my two purchases so far but felt EXTREMELY uneasy about it. My name isn't exactly common in the way it's spelled but didn't want to get a delay/deny. I'm thinking next time I'll just leave it to chance maybe and see what happens.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top