Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Unique, or wait for a better option?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 2ndtimer, Mar 28, 2013.

1. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

I just bought a new 6" stainless Ruger GP-100 in .357 Magnum. I have a little powder on hand but only about a pound of W-296. I also have some Unique, Power Pistol, Blue Dot, Universal Clays, No. 7 and Titegroup. I was hoping to pick up a pound or two of 2400, No. 9 or H-110/296 for loading the .357 Mag, but there doesn't seem to be any available locally. The local Sportsman's Warehouse (formerly Wholesale Sports) does have a couple of 8 lb kegs of Unique for a good price ($119.99). I know I can load the .357 with Unique, and I feel that is a very good deal, but I would rather have a slower burning powder for the top performance with 140 and 158 gr XTP's. Should I grab the Unique knowing that it is decent with lighter bullets, and be set for a while with cast bullets, or be patient (never my strong suit) and wait for a better .357 Mag powder to become available? I also load 9mm, and .45 ACP so the Unique can do triple duty, but of course those can also be loaded with my current stock on hand.

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

You have 8lbs kegs of Unique! Darn you!

Not sure about using it for .357 but I know it works just fine for 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pass up the chance to grab the 8lbs of Unique for less than $120.00.
    That's just too good a deal on too versatile of a powder to pass up in the current market.

4. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Agreed, I'm pretty jealous as well. Where are you located?

5. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

7 gr. of Unique with a 125 gr. SWC bullet is one of my favorite loads and is deadly accurate out of my Winchester Trapper. Not bad out of my Taurus 605 either.

6. 2ndtimer

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go back and grab one, but alas, I was too late, they were both gone. This is definitely if you snooze, you lose time. I definitely should have grabbed one this afternoon when I had the chance. Unique for $15 per lb, what was I thinking?

7. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

I've had the same types of problems and have had to switch powders - requiring working up loads again - a number of times. Now I always carry a complete list of possible powders and get what I can when I can...waiting is no longer an option unless I want to stop reloading/shooting completely.

8. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

No joke man, if you see a good powder, buy it, or you'll run into the same problem. I'm still shocked and amazed that there's a store with 8# kegs. I'm very jealous.

9. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Power Pistol is one of the slower pistol powders. Why not use that?

10. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Look for the one not many people know about.
    300MP by Alliant.

Great powder for the .357.
    Check Alliant's reloading guide on their website and see if you don't agree.

ETA: No, I don't work for Alliant or any of their distributors.

11. 2ndtimer

Yeah, I noticed Alliant's data for Power Pro 300MP, and it looks almost too good to be true. I have heard that they use a 10" test barrel, but I used to shoot a 10" TC Contender .357 Mag in Silhouette competition and I never approached the velocities Alliant is claiming for 300MP. I will certainly grab some if I find it and see what it can do.
    I was at the range this morning with my oldest son and we did chronograph a few loads through the new 6" GP-100. The 158 gr XTP clocked 1378 fps with 16.4 gr of W-296, while 11.2 gr of Accurate No. 7 pushed a 125 gr JHP over 1450 fps. Some of my handloads were over 20 years old!

12. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

2400, unique, lil'gun are all great choices for the .357mag, doubly so for rifle and silhouette loads with moderate to heavy bullets.

Seems that ship has sailed though..