JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a new 6" stainless Ruger GP-100 in .357 Magnum. I have a little powder on hand but only about a pound of W-296. I also have some Unique, Power Pistol, Blue Dot, Universal Clays, No. 7 and Titegroup. I was hoping to pick up a pound or two of 2400, No. 9 or H-110/296 for loading the .357 Mag, but there doesn't seem to be any available locally. The local Sportsman's Warehouse (formerly Wholesale Sports) does have a couple of 8 lb kegs of Unique for a good price ($119.99). I know I can load the .357 with Unique, and I feel that is a very good deal, but I would rather have a slower burning powder for the top performance with 140 and 158 gr XTP's. Should I grab the Unique knowing that it is decent with lighter bullets, and be set for a while with cast bullets, or be patient (never my strong suit) and wait for a better .357 Mag powder to become available? I also load 9mm, and .45 ACP so the Unique can do triple duty, but of course those can also be loaded with my current stock on hand.

I wouldn't pass up the chance to grab the 8lbs of Unique for less than $120.00.
That's just too good a deal on too versatile of a powder to pass up in the current market.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go back and grab one, but alas, I was too late, they were both gone. This is definitely if you snooze, you lose time. I definitely should have grabbed one this afternoon when I had the chance. Unique for $15 per lb, what was I thinking?

I've had the same types of problems and have had to switch powders - requiring working up loads again - a number of times. Now I always carry a complete list of possible powders and get what I can when I can...waiting is no longer an option unless I want to stop reloading/shooting completely.

Look for the one not many people know about.
300MP by Alliant.

Great powder for the .357.
Check Alliant's reloading guide on their website and see if you don't agree.

ETA: No, I don't work for Alliant or any of their distributors.

Look for the one not many people know about.
300MP by Alliant.

Great powder for the .357.
Check Alliant's reloading guide on their website and see if you don't agree.

ETA: No, I don't work for Alliant or any of their distributors.
Yeah, I noticed Alliant's data for Power Pro 300MP, and it looks almost too good to be true. I have heard that they use a 10" test barrel, but I used to shoot a 10" TC Contender .357 Mag in Silhouette competition and I never approached the velocities Alliant is claiming for 300MP. I will certainly grab some if I find it and see what it can do.
I was at the range this morning with my oldest son and we did chronograph a few loads through the new 6" GP-100. The 158 gr XTP clocked 1378 fps with 16.4 gr of W-296, while 11.2 gr of Accurate No. 7 pushed a 125 gr JHP over 1450 fps. Some of my handloads were over 20 years old!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top