JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So in the last month I have had conversations with 2 dealers that seem to border on unethical.

1. I calling every kahr dealer off of their website to find a cm9. I found a dealer just outside of Portland that had one. He was the only one who had one and he happen to just get 3of them in. When I asked him the price he said he did not know as he had not checked them in yet. I asked if he could give me an estimate and he said around $525, I asked him to double check it was a cm9 and he assured me it was correct I thank Ed and told him I would call him back later. I called every other kahr dealer between Portland and Salem no one had one. I called him back and asked him if he could check in the item and give me the true price. He told me again 525. Is aid but msrp is 517he told me so what. I asked if I could get a discount if I bought two considering I would have to drive 2.5 hours to come get them he said no discounts buy it if you want they are 525. So I hung up. The next day I asked a friend to go to the gun show to see if they had a cm9 there surely enough they did. He eagerly called me. The price. 388. " really no way" double checked with the dealer to make sure it was a cm9 and it was brand new.

How can someone try to gouge you by so much money. And still be in business?

2. Was talking to a random guy looking at a gun magazine to find out he owns a gunshop. "Sweet sounds like fun". He said yea he just got a shipment of ak's and is selling them for 1200 I said not bad considering. He said considering he still buys them for the same price as he did before but now he can mark them up like crazy he is making tons of money.

Wtf why would you tell me that. I'm never going to step one foot in your store EVER

My question is

Is it unethical to skyrocket prices just because you can. Even if your costs are the same? Is that just business?

I would think selling guns you build relationships and people will return. And word will spread about you.

That is how it works in my field people come to me because I treat my customers with kindness and respect. I give them all my very best. They come to me and tell me so and so told me you would take care of me. And I promise them I will and do.

Now for a happy story

I have made a deal with doa okII a dealer on the forum here.
He is a small private dealer not like the shops above with lots of inventory. He has great comunitcation, answered all my questions quickly. He even gave me links to other forums to help me sell one of my guns faster. He made me a great deal that I am very happy with and at no time did I feel like I was annoying him or pressured to buy.

I have not finished our deal yet but so far my impression is this guy is a class act, an actual honest salesman that likes his job and is not screwing his customers because of this buying frenzy.

I had a recent experience like this.

I will never shop at DISCOUNT GUN SALES again.

I went into their Vancouver, WA store on 12/19/12.
Just to check and see if they had any AR15's in stock. By chance they had just received an hour earlier a NIB Colt 6920. The sales person showed it to me and I asked what it was priced at. He indicated $1399.00 and confirmed it after checking the price tag on the box. Knowing this price was higher than a week earlier, I decided to buy it and indicated such to the sales person. I completed the Federal paperwork and he rung it up, it came up on the computer as $1599.00. He said he didn't know why and he called a manager from another store up in Seattle, who indicated they raised thier prices that morning, but the vancouver store had not yet been informed. They said they would not honor the price tag or the price I had been told. Steamed I left and I will never shop there again.

It appears DGS has removed all prices on guns in the Vancouver store. Perfectly within their right, but $300 for a 10/22 is a bit high... I won't shop there if I have alternatives.

So in the last month I have had conversations with 2 dealers that seem to border on unethical.

1. I calling every kahr dealer off of their website to find a cm9. I found a dealer just outside of Portland that had one. He was the only one who had one and he happen to just get 3of them in. When I asked him the price he said he did not know as he had not checked them in yet. I asked if he could give me an estimate and he said around $525, I asked him to double check it was a cm9 and he assured me it was correct I thank Ed and told him I would call him back later. I called every other kahr dealer between Portland and Salem no one had one. I called him back and asked him if he could check in the item and give me the true price. He told me again 525. Is aid but msrp is 517he told me so what. I asked if I could get a discount if I bought two considering I would have to drive 2.5 hours to come get them he said no discounts buy it if you want they are 525. So I hung up. The next day I asked a friend to go to the gun show to see if they had a cm9 there surely enough they did. He eagerly called me. The price. 388. " really no way" double checked with the dealer to make sure it was a cm9 and it was brand new.

How can someone try to gouge you by so much money. And still be in business?

I fail to see anything wrong with this example. They are asking MSRP, they are NOT marking it way up. No price gouging there. The other dealer felt they wanted to deeply discount a gun. Thats it. Maybe it has been sitting on their shelf for a long time and just want it gone.

Same here, friend of mine went in today looking for a glock26, they wanted $819 (which is their right) and $35 for a box of ammo. Now thats the beauty of America, they can charge whatever they want but i dont have to give them my business. But $300 overpriced is ridiculous.

There's a dealer down here pulling the same dirty trick. Pulled the prices off there current and marked it all double. It's a great way to make some quick money but not going to sustain a successful business with practices like that. Doc Hollidays in Grants Pass has seen the last of me. Dealers selling guns at twice msrp is just unethical and people will
Remember who screwed people when they had the chance. Why change your business model to take advantage of your customers? Don't think there business has increased any with the steep inflation on there inventory. Fewer guns going out the door at a higher price, proably making same income while driving off future business.

acy buyers on 17 in springfield before obama was elected said he would not to any discounts or deals on guns because if obama gets reelected they wil be worth more and he will porbably mark them up if he did get reelected,,,,,,,,,,,have not been in there since

I hope all my fellow nwfa members realize that before all this craziness when a dealer sold a firearm that the shop does not actually profit that much off the sell. As I agree it is frustrating with these current prices (I can't stand it) their is truly no inventory to be bought from the whole sellers. Do you or would you work for free? Let a gun store make their money, I am sure you are aware they have a lot of over head in their business.

The CM9, as you said, lists for $517. Did you buy the one for $388?

I had a recent experience like this.

I will never shop at DISCOUNT GUN SALES again.

I went into their Vancouver, WA store on 12/19/12.
Just to check and see if they had any AR15's in stock. By chance they had just received an hour earlier a NIB Colt 6920. The sales person showed it to me and I asked what it was priced at. He indicated $1399.00 and confirmed it after checking the price tag on the box. Knowing this price was higher than a week earlier, I decided to buy it and indicated such to the sales person. I completed the Federal paperwork and he rung it up, it came up on the computer as $1599.00. He said he didn't know why and he called a manager from another store up in Seattle, who indicated they raised thier prices that morning, but the vancouver store had not yet been informed. They said they would not honor the price tag or the price I had been told. Steamed I left and I will never shop there again.

Don't blame you a bit. I've been in that store several times, haven't bought a thing yet either.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top