JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm always surprised at how many pro-2A folks think convicted felons should be allowed to own a gun. It amazes me actually, as I'm willing to bet most wouldn't want said felon as a neighbor or say...dating their daughter. Grand theft by itself isn't violent, neither is B&E but heck yeah let them have guns. Why not? They wouldn't possibly re-offend right? I mean they really showed how good they are at making responsible decisions in life. :rolleyes:

If they can't be "trusted" then why let them drive a car? Or roam free? So should they give up 4th rights too? Since after all they can not be trusted? Police should be able to enter their home for the rest of their life and search it. After all they are surely committing some other crime now right?

Is committing fraud in this manner even considered to be a federal felony? It sounds like a state felony to me & state felons can petition the court & get their rights restored a few years down the road
Good question. I am pretty sure some part of UE compensation is Federal. I know I have seen times the Feds stepped in to extend it so have to guess Feds were giving some money to the states for it? So don't know it they would make it a Federal Crime or state crime, or both for that.

If we cut the heads off of rapists, child molesters, murderers, and car thieves, and cut the hand off of a thief, I wouldn't have a problem with felony convictions being unrelated to firearm ownership. Since we don't, all of the aforementioned voluntarily gave up that right when they engaged in the immoral/illegal behavior and have no business legally owning firearms.

Hell I would be all in on swift execution of many criminals as long as it was a cut and dried case. Not some strange one that 20 years down the road they find they had the wrong guy. For cases that there is zero doubt it should happen in weeks and be done on public TV. I am quite sure it would slow down a LOT of crime. Not to mention there sure would not be repeat offenders :)
Sadly don't see it happening, but we can dream.

But, but, but we should 'restore' all the privileges those poor, mistreated felons. Doing so couldn't possibly be harmful...

Oh yeah, and free all felons and other prisoners over the age of 55.

The dem world has gone mad...

Not sure if it is now days. Doubt it. I know it used to be. I dated a gal long ago who's Father had been in the big house over a small amount of Pot. Was in the late 50's. So he of course was banned from guns when I was dating his daughter.
That is just plain wrong. I don't smoke weed, but geeze...
Seems though things are illegal until dot gov can get a handle on it and start taking their cut

At what point do people start losing "rights" for abusing rights (or abusing privileges)?

Since we are all expressing opinions. My answer is when they are dead.

It's a natural right, those "rights" are god given and the government was told to restrict themselves from violating those rights.

If they are a danger with a gun, they are a danger with a car, they are a danger with a hammer, knife etc... Someone that dangerous should be dead.

True, but they (who i quoted) were.

I understand the OP's post. My question still stands..... At what point do people start losing "rights" for abusing rights (or abusing privileges)?

A person who does fraud does so by speaking or writing something. Clearly it is that person's communication methods which are dangerous. Even though we have the 1A that person doesn't have the right to directly harm others through deception and so we send the fraudster to prison. When that person gets out, there's a liklihood based on past performance that person will again commit fraud, and yet, there are no restrictions placed on that person's ability to speak. If he or she gets caught doing fraud again, then a subsequent prison sentence will be handed down.

I can see WA from the OR side of the Columbia. I have it on good authority that when carrying y'all are going to NOT want to cross state lines.

In a recent discussion with my little brother, regarding concealed carrying, he said, "Don't do anything illegal while you are doing illegal stuff"

I'm always surprised at how many pro-2A folks think convicted felons should be allowed to own a gun. It amazes me actually, as I'm willing to bet most wouldn't want said felon as a neighbor or say...dating their daughter. Grand theft by itself isn't violent, neither is B&E but heck yeah let them have guns. Why not? They wouldn't possibly re-offend right? I mean they really showed how good they are at making responsible decisions in life. :rolleyes:

My view is that we have too many things that can make us felons. Pick up a feather. Ooops, it is a Bald Eagle feather. You are a felon (most, certain original peoples are OK, as are certain others)

Same with those convictions which have a 366 days incarceration possible, therefore this is the equivalent of a felony.

A guy I work with, 30 yrs ago committed a felony. Only convicted because his pastor and parents convinced him to confess. Could have gotten a misdemeanor charge. He was 17-18. Now in his 50s, ... been a law abiding resident ... (if you can't vote or serve on juries are you really a citizen)

I believe the problem is wanting to get as much of the pound of flesh as possible. And, that prosecutors in order to get plea bargains accepted, like to use the big stick.

My view is that we have too many things that can make us felons. Pick up a feather. Ooops, it is a Bald Eagle feather. You are a felon (most, certain original peoples are OK, as are certain others)

Same with those convictions which have a 366 days incarceration possible, therefore this is the equivalent of a felony.

A guy I work with, 30 yrs ago committed a felony. Only convicted because his pastor and parents convinced him to confess. Could have gotten a misdemeanor charge. He was 17-18. Now in his 50s, ... been a law abiding resident ... (if you can't vote or serve on juries are you really a citizen)

I believe the problem is wanting to get as much of the pound of flesh as possible. And, that prosecutors in order to get plea bargains accepted, like to use the big stick.

The thing is, nobody is a felon for picking up a feather or whatever else. Only a felon if CONVICTED. I actually get tired of people saying "these new gun laws make us felons". There has to be a conviction to be a felon. I think the problem is quite the opposite. There are SO MANY people that are let off with a slap on the wrist for serious crimes. Drugs? Shoot, in Seattle and Portland it's pretty much a free for all. As far as non-violent crimes, I stick to my previous statement.

If they can't be "trusted" then why let them drive a car? Or roam free? So should they give up 4th rights too? Since after all they can not be trusted? Police should be able to enter their home for the rest of their life and search it. After all they are surely committing some other crime now right?

Like it or not, right or wrong, driving a car and owning a gun are not comparable in our country. Again, I'm not taking a stance on the comparison. But it's true.

Why are so many here for felons being allowed to own guns? Just to have more folks representing gun owners and the 2A? Because the 2A guarantees guns for ALL? I stand in the minority that if you CHOOSE to commit a felony and get convicted of such then you're SOL. I don't feel the least bit bad. I'm in my 40's and have NEVER been arrested or otherwise. I CHOOSE to make good decisions. Have I ever broken the law? Of course. I have gone over the speed limit, rolled through a red light and so fourth. We ALL have broken the law either willingly or unknowingly. There's a HUGE difference between that and committing a felony that results in a conviction. Chances are the convicted felon had committed many other felony crimes and just hadn't been caught yet.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top