JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I bought a Llama from board member SICARIO, He described it as having no grip safety, which I didn't know existed. I've been looking for a Llama .380 without the common raised rib on the slide, and was surprised to find that this is indeed a round topped .380. The differences between this 1943 Llama and later ones is extensive. The later locked breech Llama's are in most ways small 1911's, with the exception of the external extractor. The hammer,sear disconnector etc. are miniature 1911 parts. But in this gun the internal design is similar to Star pistol internals. I suspect that the safety simply blocks the sear though, whereas in the Star it also lifts the hammer off the sear. The most interesting feature is the detent spring, which looks like a W, the outer ends of the W touch the slide stop on one end and the safety on the other. It functions perfectly and will be a prized part of my collection as long as I live, thanks SICARIO!
IMG_0930.jpg

Today I bought a Llama from board member SICARIO, He described it as having no grip safety, which I didn't know existed. I've been looking for a Llama .380 without the common raised rib on the slide, and was surprised to find that this is indeed a round topped .380. The differences between this 1943 Llama and later ones is extensive. The later locked breech Llama's are in most ways small 1911's, with the exception of the external extractor. The hammer,sear disconnector etc. are miniature 1911 parts. But in this gun the internal design is similar to Star pistol internals. I suspect that the safety simply blocks the sear though, whereas in the Star it also lifts the hammer off the sear. The most interesting feature is the detent spring, which looks like a W, the outer ends of the W touch the slide stop on one end and the safety on the other. It functions perfectly and will be a prized part of my collection as long as I live, thanks SICARIO!
IMG_0930.jpg

Here is the newer version I have with the grip safety and notice the difference in the grip base. These are few and far between just like the Colt Mustangs, good gun for the ladies though.

I have one just like yours as well Deadeye (1972), and another model that's different still and was made in 1966. That one came with wood grips as well and a ventilated rib. All of these work well, contrary to common reports.

1972;
Llama2015.jpg

1966;
Llama2009.jpg

I have one Llama, it's a minimax 45
It's small for a 12 round 45 but heavy.
I don't shoot it often but it is a fun 45 to shoot.

Much like my Star Firestar .40 S&W, not a carry or a home defense pistol but nice pistols to shoot every now and then.

Not sure, what should I look for? I got a really good deal on it, I think, and it was so beautiful I couldn't turn it down. It was never fired until I bought it last year. I put 21 rounds through it.

Slowly pull the slide back while watching the barrel at the ejection port, as you pull it back the barrel breech will drop if it's locked breech, if not it won't. The amount it drops is only about 1/16 of an inch, less than that even.

It's easier to see if the barrel has lugs on the top of it. If it has 2 lugs across the top it's a locked breech. If the top of the barrel is smooth front to back then it's a blow back pistol.

From the picture it looks like a locked breech. If anyone is interested, I have that slide for sale. It has factory engravings like the picture. It also has the lugs in the slide for the locked breech action. $125. I
l'll post a picture Sunday.

It's easier to see if the barrel has lugs on the top of it

Well, you have to take it apart for that. Also, when they changed the design at first there was no external way to tell it's blowback, later they cut more corners by eliminating the mill cut at the front of the dust cover, that's definitely a clue.
The history of the 20th century gun making, and even more so 21rst century gunmaking, is full of the manufacturers assuming people can't tell the difference between guns made with actual skilled labor and those made with shortcuts like MIM and polymer mainspring housings (Colt, Kimber). But a large percentage of us can tell the difference, and refuse to support them. The initial change to blowback in the little Llama's is a good example, if you never take them apart most would never know. Pull the slide back and it's clear without disassembly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top